July 31, 2014

NFL to stream games online

by Adam Finley, posted Aug 27th 2007 4:02PM

NFLHey football fans, how about games streamed directly to your computer?

Yeah, well, don't get too excited yet, cause it'll cost you. The streaming is part of DirecTV's NFL Sunday Ticket Package, so unless you already have that, you're out of luck. And, if you do have the $269 Sunday Ticket package, upgrading to the SuperFan package that includes the online streaming will cost an additional $99. Also, it only works with Windows XP and Vista and Internet Explorer.

Now how do you feel?

I know how I feel: completely indifferent. But that's only because I don't watch football. Still, it does seem like a rather steep price to pay to catch all your favorite teams. As this article points out, the NFL has been especially stingy with its content when compared to the likes of the NBA, MLB and NHL.

This could be seen as an experiment on the part of the NFL, I suppose, but I personally don't understand why it's so difficult for the executives making these decisions to figure out that average people don't want a lot of hassle when it comes to online video, and that it's harder and harder to justify charging for content when so many of the major networks are offering full episodes online. I know the NFL has to pay for streaming cost somehow, but charging a hundred bucks and shutting out fans who don't use Windows doesn't seem like the best approach. There's a happy medium in there somewhere, but I don't think the NFL has found it just yet.

[via Digg]

In L.A.

All I hear from the NFL is more money, more money, more money - they are constantly making things difficult. There is nothing wrong watching the fellons on regular television for free...

August 28 2007 at 11:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Swanny

i wish the NFL could get our cheerleaders to dress like the http://hotcellfish.com/2007/08/09/argentinas-soccer-team-cheerleaders/
they could stream that 9 days a week.

August 28 2007 at 9:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dorv

Its too expensive if you just want the streaming. As the article states (and someone else stated as well), its a test... I really like the beta comment.

I haven't lucked out with getting my Superfan free this year, but will keep trying until week 2 (They generally give it free during week 1, though probably not for the streaming).

It will probably setup for a wider market next year.

August 27 2007 at 6:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
YouFaceTheTick

Cool. I'm already getting superfan - demand it for free every year and get it. Why would anyone get Sunday Ticket and NOT get superfan? That's like buying a Porsche with an automatic transmission.

This is especially nice as we'll be in thailand for two weeks in November and we can still watch some games live on the internet!

August 27 2007 at 5:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dave

This is exceptionally lame. Windows/IE only? Requires DirectTV? With an additional charge on top of it?

Lamest thing to happen since... the NFL Network making demands that they should be part of the basic cable package.

August 27 2007 at 5:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bash

I bet my fat ass it will be streamed like crazy because there will always be some geek who just wants to gitrrrrrdone.

Additionally the package at nearly 400$ is to expensive that there is enough incentive to do it.

August 27 2007 at 5:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
khamel

its a perfect experiment for the nfl. if (for some reason) you have nfl sunday ticket ( i do) AND superfan (i dont, no hd reciever) AND wants to watch the games on the computer and not your HDTV(s) then you're set. Since thats very few people, the NFL can test to make sure the interface works and there is no content loss onto torrent sites and that people can't re-stream it to other people on the net for free etc. Its like a beta but without calling it a beta.

I have friends in the UK who might pay me the $99 so they can use my stream. The PC requirement isn't that insidious, its just easier to make it work on the main computer type.

August 27 2007 at 5:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Niraj

Sprint users will be happy to know they just released NFL Mobile, which is free for Vision and Power Vision users and includes real-time statistics, scores, injury reports, video highlights and other updates.

August 27 2007 at 4:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply