April 24, 2014

The Closer: Lover's Leap

by Anna Johns, posted Aug 28th 2007 11:17AM
the closer(S03E11) This episode was chock full of stuff, wasn't it? I'm trying to figure out which story lines set us up for more issues down the road and I think there are several. But first, let's talk about Brenda Leigh. I was really feeling her pain during this episode. She just had abdominal surgery to reverse her Early Onset Menopause and she was obviously very uncomfortable. The woman should've been in bed, but we know she doesn't relax very well. And she wasn't even hiding her discomfort, which is a bit unusual for her. Also, I loved her near-breakdown when Fritz wouldn't help and she almost started crying about the fact that she couldn't eat chocolate anymore. That's a great personal issue that will no doubt bring on some comedy in the future.

As far as the investigation went, I knew the killer was a woman from the moment the coroner said "pepper spray". Men just don't carry it. I didn't know which woman until the end when Brenda and Sgt. Gabriel confronted the former police officer's wife, but still.

Okay. So, here are the story lines that may or may not play out in the future:

• Homeland Security audit of LAPD. Earlier this season, Sgt. Gabriel and Chief Pope hatched a plan to get more funding for the Priority Homicide Squad by getting a federal grant from Homeland Security so the team can do double duty. Are they going to be busted for this?
  • No more help from the FBI. Suddenly, the FBI changed its rules and now Fritz can no longer help Brenda with investigations without officially bringing the FBI in on her investigation, which really pisses her off. That story line did make for some good comedy, as Brenda and her team kept sending the fumbling FBI agents red herrings. I can see this pop up in the future when Brenda needs FBI help but can't ask. At least it gets her off poor Fritz's back. (Speaking of Fritz, a rant is below)
  • Pope's affair with the murder victim. I'm not sure we're actually going to see any more of this, but it did make for some uncomfortable moments between Pope and Brenda. He did mention he was in a custody battle with Estelle for his kids, so that will probably come up again soon.
  • The coroner's apparent crush on Sgt. Gabriel. What the hell was with that scene? Besides the fact that the coroner's monologue about how the victim died was downright confusing, I was sidetracked by his flirting with Gabriel. Is there a rumor flying around about Gabriel's sexuality that we don't know about? Weird. I actually do hope this little story line crops up again because it could make for some uncomfortable humor for Gabriel.
Speaking of Fritz, what is his deal this season? He has become such a weenie. The episode with Brenda's parents in town had him at her every beck and call and kissing their butts. Isn't he supposed to be some bad ass FBI agent? Instead, he's assisting in her investigations and getting pushed around. He sort-of stood up to her this week by calling the FBI when she asked him for a favor, but that was still a weenie move on his part.

Overall, another strong episode. It felt very full of information and I have to wonder if it was setting us up for the last two episodes of the season. I'd like to see Brenda return to her healthy self soon because she was really bumming me out!

La-Di-Dah

I am hoping they don't break Fritzie and Brenda up!

Plus, I liked the setup of this episode too; different, for The Closer, and intriguing.

September 04 2007 at 7:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SouthernChick

As soon as Pope admitted to Brenda that he had been sleeping with the DHS auditor the previous year, I got to thinking that, beneath ol' Will's balding, Joe Average exterior, beats the heart of a regular slut! Let's see - he was seeing Brenda while he was married, then dumped Brenda AND his wife for Estelle - and then, while Estelle was stepping out on him, he was cultivating his own extracurricular relationship - while still holding out hope that Brenda might choose him over Fritz! (And, sometimes, I truly wish Brenda had chosen him...Fritz is cute, but such a wuss here lately...)

September 01 2007 at 6:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BC McKinney

"I think the only reason the "FBI were involved" is because she mentioed to Fritz that a DHS laptop and cellphone were missing. He has an obvious duty there."

No, almost every episode now Brenda calls Fritz trying to use him as a back channel to get something that she as a police officer can't, or at least as quickly as some one throwing around an FBI badge. In this case. she couldn't get a cell phone dump because it was restricted and DHS wouldn't allow her to have it, so she called Fritz to pull strings (which is actually kind of funny if you know anything about how disfunctional DHS can be). And Fritz didn't take it as his duty to send the agents, he did it because he was annoyed with her.

It is true that DHS, once notified of an employee's death and that a laptop with classified information was missing, should itself have notified the FBI.

August 29 2007 at 1:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chip

We've seen the custody battle before, when Brenda had to be deposed.

Brenda Leigh? Really? I never knew the spelling!

August 29 2007 at 12:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Toby OB

There didn't have to be any rumors floating around re: Sgt. Gabriel's sexuality for the coroner to hit on him. The doctor wasn't going to know what his chances were unless he took a chance, and I think he'll probably take Gabriel's cluelessness as a sign to keep trying.

Should be pretty funny to see how it plays out.

As much as I enjoy JK Simmons in the role of Pope, and while there were specifics in the affair subplot that depended on the Pope/Brenda dynamic, I found myself thinking that perhaps it might have been better to have this turn out to be Taylor's storyline instead. Gossett really does need to have a good episode of his own and this could have been it.

August 28 2007 at 3:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BC McKinney

I don't see how the DHS grant is a problem for the squad. They took some shortcuts on the required training, but they passed so there's no evidence of that. Now they've been activated and assisted the FBI in clearing a murder case with national security associations; I don't see how this hurts them. The audit was on a different DHS grant.

Fritz is being a passive-aggressive jerk. Yes, Brenda is too dependent and yet dismissive of him, but grow some balls and set boundaries instead of acting like a prick. In real life the wedding might never occur, but I don't think the show will go that direction. Fritz dying in the line of duty, however, and Brenda Leigh dealing with the repercussions would not shock me.

I too was intrigued by Dr. Morales chatting up Sgt. Gabriel, although, of course, Gabriel was oblivious to what was going on. I've liked Jonathan Del Arco since he played Third of Five/Hugh on "Star Trek: The Next Generation" and it's nice he got something to do besides mouthing technobabble to steer the plot along.

And wow, is Chief Pope a slut or what? Now Brenda Leigh has a different view of their previous relationship, and knows that he'll lie to her.

August 28 2007 at 12:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Xyon

I thought this episode was about average for this season. They have made Pope such an unlikeable character that it is hard to find symphony for him when he pines after Brenda.

I do agree with the above review about fritz and on the above comments about Commander Taylor. Seems as if Commander Taylor is way less confrontational than he was and it is not real becoming of his character.

The only real problem I have with this episode (other than it being just average - something that I am sadly getting more and more accustomed to) is that in the opening credits we see 4-5 Crows or Ravens circling in the air. That in itself is OK because they do scavenger dead animals, but for the audio track they put in a Red-tailed Hawk squealing. All three birds are used so much in television and movies these days one would think they could get it right.

August 28 2007 at 12:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy

I wasn't all too impressed with this episode and really the last few have not been all that great. I'm especially hating the Pope and Fritz story lines; and if we want to talk about and thankless role on this series how about Commander Taylor. He's always lurking in the background but never really offering anything to the story line. If I was Robert Gossett I would be one unhappy actor.

As so often happens with this series, the writers give us about 9 or so really great episodes, but as the season starts winding down the quality goes with it. Regardless, this is still one of the best procedurals on television. Kyra Sedgewick needs to win an Emmy.

August 28 2007 at 11:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply