April 23, 2014

Weeds: The Brick Dance

by Julia Ward, posted Aug 28th 2007 1:58AM
Carrie Fisher Weeds(S03E03) We learned many important things on Weeds tonight:

1. You can't make $12,500 off a brick.
2. The cock wants what it wants.
3. Fish have internal testicles.

Weeds
is like the anti-Entourage. Instead of tying everything up in a neat, happy little bow by the end of the episode (Kanye Ex Machina, anyone?), everything goes to pot. (Oh yeah, I'm punny.) Seriously, could things get any worse for the Botwins?

Nancy's got the DEA breathing down her neck and a serious debt to pay to an ugly gangster. Andy's going to be shipped off to Iraq sans toes and all. Poor Shane's entire world is being disrupted, and Silas is headed community service way. At least, he wasn't tossed in jail.

I sure hope Heylia really is "taking care of U-Turn." I'm not sure how long I can take Nancy brick dancing all over LA. That was just weird, but not as weird as Andy's tour of duty. Seriously, I know the Army's hard-up for recruits these days, but gay, toe-less, unwilling Andy? Where the heck is this storyline going? (Actually, I know where it's going for at least one more episode, and "WTF" may be the most appropriate euphemism.)

I'm glad the show didn't forget poor Peter. Where is his dead body hanging out anyway? Some Armenian's garage? How would his partner not know where he was? And, remember the part where he has a son?

In other parts of Agrestic, Isabelle and Dean finally cut Celia out of their lives, but not for long, I hope. Celia and Isabelle together are terrifically funny. I always get the feeling that writer Jenji Kohan is exorcizing some childhood demons in those scenes.

And, let's talk guest stars for a moment. Carrie Fisher was awesome. They could trump up any old excuse to bring her back, and that'd be cool with me. I feel like there's a great regular TV role to be written for Carrie Fisher. I'd love to see it be on Weeds. And, next week. Matthew Modine is in effect - all perma-smile and hair helmet. I can't wait, and hey, even the Mary Kate promos don't look so bad.

Even if Weeds has gone a bit off the rails in terms of brick dancing and army service, it's still one of the most enjoyable shows on television.

Do you like Andy's army storyline?
Yes50 (22.7%)
No90 (40.9%)
Can't decide. Will see where it goes.80 (36.4%)

Puff

Does anyone know the song played in the spanish club when Nancy enter?

October 29 2007 at 10:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Veronica

Alicia - In case no one answered you yet, the song Nancy danced to for the Brick dance, was "Nosebleed" by Illinois. (It's on the "What the hell do I know" album) It's on itunes for 99cents.

www.lonelyroadsandpsychopaths.com

September 10 2007 at 10:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mb

@Jackson

Define what you mean by "and all the people complaining about how it 'went off the tracks' just plain don't know.."

The popularity of Lost plummeted after the start of Season 3 with the others, and you could view the ratings during that period to verify this claim. Their ratings struggled for many episodes after the three month break and only rebounded near the final episodes (when admittedly, the writing was really better).

Yes, I hated the "Others" storyline, but I was not alone with that opinion.

So defend your opinion please.

August 29 2007 at 6:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jackson

@ mb

"Anyone remember Lost?"

Are you serious? Lost was, and still is, one of the best written shows on television, and all the people complaining about how it "went off the tracks" just plain don't know.

August 29 2007 at 1:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
emily.

I also think the ratio of comedy to drama has shifted in the wrong direction this season. It's kinda funny if Nancy could get caught by the police. It's not even close to funny if Nancy could be raped and murdered. This comedy was always about the sort of really uncomfortable funny, rather than punchline funny, but the uncomfortableness is getting to the point of being horrible rather than comedic.

August 28 2007 at 8:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mb

I've gotta agree with everyone here in that I really think this season's writing has gone to sh!t. They started losing that clever and focused approach during Season 2 and they're all over the place now.

Television writers seem to feel so empowered that they think they can change storylines so drastically without consequence, and this usually ends up with bad results. Anyone remember Lost? Or Grey's Anatomy?

My only hope for this season is that the writers bring back the "family" core that Heylia, Conrad, etc. brought to Season 1. I was most entertained watching their family sitting around their kitchen table picking at Nancy for their entertainment.

Although unconventional, it was that family bonding (sort of) that Nancy tried (and failed) to bring together with her sons and brother-in-law at home.

I hope the writers knock off this goofy "anything goes" crap and get everything back together. Otherwise, I'm abandoning this show as soon as Dexter hits in September.

August 28 2007 at 7:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BobbyBuz

@4 Good catch about the widow's pension.

Just suppose that Peter had some real cash/assets. As a surviving spouse, I suspect Nancy would be entitled to his estate or at least part of it.

That could be Nancy's way out from under U-Turn.

August 28 2007 at 6:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oreo

I think the show picks up each episode this season, but it is depressing. I'm still enjoying it but it has become more of a Desperate Housewives type show.

And I think the Sanjay is gay thing was the funniest part this season, because his name is like Sanjaya on AI, plus coming out of the closet out of the closet is funny. :)

August 28 2007 at 3:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alicia Decker

I am getting bored with Weeds. I thought Carrie was great. They need to get Kevin more involved. Hes the funniest. I thought the Brick Dance was weird, but Nancy was great. Shes so hot. Does anyone know where to get that song she danced to? That may have been the highlight of the whole episode.

August 28 2007 at 12:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
khamel

glad people agree. i watched the first four episodes last month and was not very excited for the rest of the season. its not fun anymore and has become boring. hopefully it will get better but im anticipating the 5th episode.

August 28 2007 at 11:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply