August 21, 2014

More trouble for Kid Nation

by Bob Sassone, posted Aug 31st 2007 4:05PM

Kid NationAs if allegations of abuse and breaking child labor laws wasn't enough, now producers of CBS's new reality show Kid Nation are facing another charge: faking some of the show.

Parents of some of the kids involved with the show have secretly told the BizParentz Foundation and A Minor Consideration (the organization run by former Donna Reed Show star Paul Petersen) that their kids were not only asked to repeat and re-film some scenes of the show, they were actually fed dialogue to say during certain scenes. The parents say that crew members have confirmed the coaching.

Of course, this isn't a new charge. TV shows like Survivor and some of the dating shows have been accused of this in the past as well. I think this will only be surprising to people who actually think that reality TV is actually "real."

[via TV Tattle]

steviemn

I think the show is fun to watch but I sure realize its not "real". From a production standpoint its kind of amazing that CBS has managed to pull off what looks like an isolated frontier town with kids. The kids are probably out-numbered 10 to 1 by camera crews, sound and lighting people who live in a small city of trailers out of the camera shot. Survivor hasn't even made a secret of it. But It'll be interesting to hear all the "behind the scenes" stuff come out as time goes on. Kids don't understand what a nondisclosure contract is.

October 25 2007 at 11:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
isabel

why is they show fake that is really dumb that cbs did that i feel bad for the kids that they really had to re an act everything aaaaaaaaa if i was the director i would make it real!

October 17 2007 at 8:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jake

With all the pre-show advertisements I kind of got a hype to take a peek at the premiere. I liked it and for now I plan to watch next week.

September 20 2007 at 12:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jake

I could tell that some of the dialogue was scripted. A little cause for disappoint. It's amazing how everyone is concerned about the law. Child labor issues should have been considered prior to filming. It seems to me that someone reviewed the rules, do's and don'ts and so the filming continued. It has a cute cast of characters. I'm a teenager and I thought the concept was cool. Conditions were a little harsh. Separation anxieties for the younger kids was a little cause for concern and yet I found myself hooked to watch the show through to the ending. Not certain as to the future of this show, but for now - I like it because I see it from my point of view - I AM A KID.

September 20 2007 at 12:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Luke

this is like some social experiment on camera gone wrong...

I am wondering how many episodes it will take before the show morphs into Lord of the Flies II.

September 20 2007 at 12:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John Critcher

All season leading up to Kids I saw the ads and decided I would not be watching . I saw some of the Kids and parents on Ellen and because nothing else that I wanted to watch was on, I tuned in to Kid Nation. I was not impressed to begin with, but, I soon was enthralled with the decisions these kids were making. In the "Town Meeting", even if edited, was an explosive ending. Great! 40 kids sticking together. An 8 YO child left and in doing so went against peer preasure. What a feat for an 8 YO. Kid nation..........So far very good !!!!!

September 19 2007 at 11:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Martin_W2

Although the producers are having the kids fake it and giving them cues, it's the parents who has to be careful about what the show can have their kids do on the air. As far as child Labor laws,go childrencan't work only a certain amount of hours, like 4 hrs. a day. And then there are occupational laws to deal with also.

September 17 2007 at 7:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sadashivan

Child labour can not be eliminated by 2015 until influences Governments to reevaluate rural development or employment policies for illiterate and semi-literate population. My website link: http://www.sadashivan.com/

Check my videos on Child labour (through youtube) is free for all:
1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QlnKpAQ1aA
2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVPk9Jns28k

September 04 2007 at 10:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gilbert0

"If they had the re-do scenes that is acting and should be paid for it. That does not mean CBS violated the law. Kids can work on tv."
grozauction you are wrong! Kids can only work for so many hours a day acting. These kids worked 14 hr days. That is a clear violation of Child Labor Laws.

I agree with most comments that CBS should just can this show. I can't see it becoming a success after so much negativety.

September 01 2007 at 5:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
grozauction

Do you really think any reality show are real? The gross food that you see on another reality shows may just be candy. The Bugs you see may just be toys. Otherwise, I am sure the health department would get on Networks cases.

To really have a true like Camp experience is to film a real summer camp without redoing anything.

I am beginning to think CBS may have even staged this controversy to get more exposure of Kid nation.

Why do you think LOU got fired of Family Feud? He told a secret. Everybody know that reality shows are fake.

However, Kid nation may be the closet to reality.

September 01 2007 at 8:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply