October 23, 2014

Entourage: The Cannes Kids (season finale)

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Sep 2nd 2007 11:29PM

Billy, Turtle, Vince, Ari, and Eric at Cannes.

(S04E12) "In France, I'm a Viking god." - Drama

Medellin. We've been talking about it all season. We've seen clips, a ridiculously good trailer for the film, and even a "making of" documentary. Despite all the positive hype, we've only had one question: what if it sucks? Well guess what? It sucks... a lot. Amidst a frantic and hyper crowd at Cannes, Medellin's screening worked like a sedative. Only Billy and Vince seemed to be enjoying the film as if they were in on some joke. It even garnered a few "boos." To be honest, it felt anti-climactic to me if only because this was exactly what I've been expecting. This was the only logical outcome. Everything always comes up roses for this crew. They needed a reality check and this proved to be the perfect vehicle for it.

Naturally, this sets up quite the predicament for next season. Yadoyir (remember him? the "prince?") backed out of his commitment to buy the film, Dana Gordon is giddy that she lost out on it, and Harvey now owns it for one whole dollar. Will he try to sell it? Sure. But once the reviews get out, who's going to want to see it?

The biggest issue? Dana's commitment to Silo. We already know that the script is completely whack. Why take that risk with Billy and Vince if you know that their previous film tanked? Of course, this is all speculation. The film may go on to be a box-office smash despite the poor reception at Cannes. Still... would you want to hire Walsh now that you know he could make another snoozer? For once, this season didn't leave us with Vince going off and making his next film. I'm not even sure he can afford to buy milk and bread now. Unless this movie makes something, they're broke. Especially Eric. What does this do for his relationship with Vince? Talk about one big "I told you so."

This episode was great though. From the way it was shot (looked like a film), to where it was shot (loved the on-location stuff), this ranks up there with some of the best Entourage has had. I loved how all the old players (anyone who had a hand in Medellin) showed up. Nicky was flipping out, Harvey was pissed, and Yadoyir was throwing money around like crazy. We even got to see Lloyd in action on his gay island cruise vacation. Very funny stuff.

And how can we forget Drama? French women love Viking Quest! They're obsessed with Tarvold and it got Drama plenty of tail. His French romance sub-plot was well done though. From his angry tirade against the hotel manager, to getting inside dirt from the bell-hop, to the sex on the beach, this was Drama at his finest. That and he was wearing a fedora the whole time. Victory indeed. Of course, I've said it before, but it looks like once again Drama may be the breadwinner in the Chase family for a while. He better hope that season two of Five Towns does as well as the first. Vince might be out of work for a while.

Do you think Silo will get made in Season 5 of Entourage?
Yes283 (30.4%)
No647 (69.6%)

bfunk

E hated the re-cut version of QB as well, and it also went over very well at sundance if i remember correctly. I don't remember them ever mentioning if even after vince cursed off the reporters if they still went through with realeasing QB. I believe Harvey will make this movie into an Oscar winner, and vince will make clouds

October 23 2007 at 4:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lainiek

1- Eric was right all along, and even Harvey Weinstein admitted that Eric knew what he was talking about. The movie has "genius" in it and just needs to be recut to be made watchable. No one is going to sit thru a 3 1/2 movie cut the way Billy Walsh cut it

2-Vince constantly said this season that Eric did not have any faith and made Eric constantly go against his better judgement in the name of friendship. Truly, though, Vince did not have enough faith in Eric. I am hoping this will change in season 5, but I feel that we will probably see the guys drifting apart professionally at least. I wouldn't be surprised if Eric stopped being Vince's manager, and we see Eric trying out different clients and Vince trying different managers before they come back together again. But, Anna Faris is gone. I saw someone else in another comment posted this, and it is true, because I heard it in Doug Ellin's podcast- Anna Faris fired Eric and kicked him out. They had technical issues with the last 2 minutes of the episode. Now, this does open up the chance of her coming back next season, but it is doubtful.

3-Vince and Billy Walsh won't be making Silo now for 2 reasons:
a- Billy Walsh is going to become a recluse and go into hiding, at least for the first few episodes of the season.
He won't stick around for the recut of the film, and probably won't emerge until it is being released to the theaters,where in truly Billy style he will protest it because it is too commercial.
b- Dana Gordon will not back Billy Walsh now that she saw Medillon. She will either make Vince do Clouds now with another director, or another big budget movie altogether.

September 14 2007 at 5:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shrav

I don't think Harvey actually got the movie. Who would sell the movie for $1? I don't think it's happened. I think they'll go back to Yadoyir (and his new outfit) and do a profit-sharing thing. So Yadoyir gets the movie for free, but the Entourage get 20% of the profit [if there is on], etc. something of that sort.

I also think Dana's gonna force Vince/Walsh to do Clouds, and scrap Silo (because it's Walsh's idea)

September 06 2007 at 4:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Freeatlast

"Just get rid of Vince/Eric/Turtle please?" Posted at 9:56AM on Sep 4th 2007 by khamel

If you did that they wouldn't have an entourage it would be the Vince and E show!

September 05 2007 at 3:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Andrea

I also felt it was anti-climactic.

Things I liked:
Nicky Rubenstein. Ari, of course. Lloyd. The show's set designer and whoever conceived the penis ice sculpture fountain (only on HBO).

Dana Gordon- Constance Zimmer is hot and the writing for the character is sharp.

Drama's romance- I want them to get married and star in a reality show based on their courtship and marriage. Think Nick and Jessica, Dave and Carmen - "Johnny and Jacqueline Forever", until they separate a year later.

Did anyone else notice Yair speaking Hebrew to his assistant before the watches were presented? It sounded like he said "Come here" in Hebrew. I replayed it to check but wasn't certain. I'm guessing that the actor is of Israeli descent (based on his name, look and IMDB information), which may or may not affect the character or casting. I'd like to see Yair again.

September 05 2007 at 12:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bob

I hated this episode. Medellin was such a passion for Vince, throwing away everything he had ever earned to get this film made and he just laughed it off and seemed to say "ah well" 2 minutes after the thing bombed and Walsh imploded.

How can somebody put so much heart and soul into something and then be non chalant about the result?

What I dont get is how can a film that had so much action, killing, drug dealing, etc put people to sleep? If anything wouldnt its flaw be that it was herky jerky or over the top?

I think theyre setting it up to be a US hit and Harvey edits out the Walsh weirdness and artsiness and turns it into another "Traffic" or "Carlito's Way"

I think the key was Harvey saying "there is genious in this film" and that is foreshadowing of his last laugh.

This episode shouldve been 1 hour long, so should the show for that matter. You cant revolve the season around this project and then give it a 2 minute scene at the end and thats it.

September 05 2007 at 11:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Adam

I've never been a fan of the Walsh character so I'm hoping that the studio tells Vince and Ari that Walsh goes or the movie goes. Dump Walsh and let's get back to the boys from Queens chasing skirts and having fun.

September 04 2007 at 6:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dubspecialist

does anyone know the song in the opening when they get to Canne...French house music?

September 04 2007 at 12:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dan2ktj

Why can't this show be an hour long?

HBO owes me back 8 hours of my life for that John from Cincinnati crap. The least they can do is grow Entourage to an hour for season 5.

September 03 2007 at 4:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nola

Not really. Vince sided with Walsh on Queens Boulevard as well. The studio that bought it made major edits to the movie before its release, and Vince condemned the film as being "ruined" at a press conference.

-----

That's my point. Vince and Walsh both loved Queen's Boulevard the way Walsh made it, but the studio didn't. And it was the tweaked version that became a hit, whether Vince condemned it or not.

To me that just further proves the point that while Vince may be passionate about the films he does with Walsh, they're both usually wrong about how good it is. It seems to always take someone else coming in and fixing the problems to make the movie an actual hit. Clearly neither of them have proper perspective when it comes to judging their own work.

Which is why it was such a mistake for them to keep Medellin hidden and not even ask someone a second opinion to see whether Eric might have a point about the parts being better than the whole.

September 03 2007 at 2:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply