October 1, 2014

The Wire wraps up filming

by Bob Sassone, posted Sep 4th 2007 4:41PM

The Wire

If any fans of the critically-acclaimed HBO drama The Wire would like to visit the set sometime in the future, you better bring a shopping list. It's being turned into a Wegman's Food Market.

Yup, The Wire is ending after this upcoming season. I have to admire the show for ending after five seasons even though it's a big hit with critics and loyal fans. I've often said that many shows should be like novels and have a definite end time (Lost, Alias, other shows) so they don't go out of control or overstay their welcome or come up with lame plots in later seasons, so it's good to actually hear that creator and executive producer David Simon feels the same way.

This final season will focus on the slimy tactics some people in the media use (that doesn't include bloggers, of course). The show returns in January.

[via TV Tattle]

Bob Andelman

You might be interested in this audio interview with David Simon, in which he talks about Baltimore politics, "The Wire," and "Homicide": http://www.mrmedia.com/2007/02/fridays-with-mr-media-david-simonthe.html

September 30 2007 at 1:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
offarock

I just got a call that the "prop" from the show I won at a charity auction is finally shipping. They would not release it until the shooting was done as they needed it for season five, so I know something you don't about the fifth season storyline.

September 11 2007 at 5:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nigel Ray

Simon always had a 5 story "novel" in mind for the Wire. This is him just completing his original vision. Also, the 5th season will NOT be in HD or widescreen. Simon has gone on record as saying that he wants a consistency to the Wire such that it could be seen as one huge long story. The only thing that changes in the show from season to season are the opening credits.

September 06 2007 at 11:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brainfish

Heh. I only discovered The Wire a few months ago. I was off work with broken ribs at the time so I got through all 4 seasons in under a week :)

September 05 2007 at 5:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Media Glutton

It's not TV. It's HOBO. Bubbles that is. And he's the most real character ever created for television.

September 05 2007 at 4:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
radwimp

I don't want to see this show end when it's still so good. But ending strong is better compared to what other shows usually do, so... I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

September 04 2007 at 11:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vito

There has never been a show that was able to find dignity in squalor and extract meaning from the meaninglessness of life. There might never be one again.

September 04 2007 at 9:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

The best show on TV. Period.

September 04 2007 at 9:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Usama

Oh my God! I just realized that it's being turned into a grocery store! I had just glanced at it the first time through.. I just assumed it was the set of another TV show (idiot me). Uh, well I guess that's better than it turning into a set for another TV show. I'm pretty sure it's better, but I don't want to bother explaining why I feel it is. That's just my opinion.

September 04 2007 at 7:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Usama

Khamel.. I commend your one week of season 4. I'm afraid I will have to show you up though, as I tried real hard to limit how much I watched but I ended up finishing the fourth season in 3 days.

To be fair, I was only working part-time and didn't have school.

The point is, whether it's one week or 3 days or 3 hours (okay, I guess that's impossible), this show is going to be sorely missed. I hope it gains some popularity once all five seasons have aired, so that people will look back and hit themselves on the head for having missed such a great show.

I had no idea this was the only HBO show not shot in HD. That's too bad. Perhaps it helps to reduce their costs? I don't know.

September 04 2007 at 7:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply