April 21, 2014

What to expect in season 7 of Smallville

by Isabelle Carreau, posted Sep 4th 2007 10:02AM
Michael RosenbaumLast May, when the sixth season finale of Smallville aired, a lot of TV fans were left wondering if Lana Lang, Chloe, and Lionel were dead or alive. Thanks to spoilers, we learned the fate of two of these characters pretty quickly. However, the third one kept us wondering, especially since the contract of the person playing that character was up in the air. Negotiations took so long that the show started shooting new episodes not even knowing if that character would be back or not. Want to know if all those three characters are back? Curious about new storylines and which characters from the past will resurface? Wait no more, we bring you answers!

Spoilers ahead!

• Kara, aka Supergirl, will be a major player this season. She has all of Clark's powers, including some he yet has to develop (read here that she can fly). Her rebellious demeanor will put her at odds with Clark but will intrigue Lex. She will potentially be a love interest for Jimmy Olsen.
  • Lara, Supergirl's aunt and more than likely Clark's birth mother, will appear in one episode.
  • There will be a new editor at the Daily Planet. Grant will appear in at least six episodes and may date Lois.
  • Martha now resides in Washington, D.C., so don't expect to see much of her this season.
  • In the premiere, Lex will be saved by Supergirl while Clark rescues Chloe. Expect Lex to not only try to find of Lana's whereabouts and fate but learn who saved him.
  • Kara will get a job at the Talon.
  • A man named Curtis Knox (played by Dean Cain) will be able to "cure" meteor freaks. In his episode, expect to see past freaks to return such as Sasha Goodman ("Drone"). Chloe is particularly interested in what Knox has to offer (maybe she wants him to cure her?). Knox seems to have a business relationship with Lex.
  • Lionel is held against his will in a cabin for a while.
  • The Martian Manhunter will appear in a few episodes. Green Arrow is said to return but only in the second half of the season. We may see other Justice Leaguers but nothing is confirmed yet. A villain from the past will also resurface but we don't know whom yet (some speculate it might be Brainiac, if so, don't expect him to return in the first half of the season since James Marsters is busy this fall).
  • We may see Zor-El in the flesh.
  • Oh, and Lana is alive... well, it may not be 100% her since cloning is rumored to be involved.
Keep checking our Spoilers Anonymous feature for more spoilers on Smallville and other series.

rock

the serial is moving on too slow...else its a fantastic one

November 26 2007 at 3:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lana Coetzee

I have always been a huge fan of Smallville and in my opinion it has gotten so much better with every season. Sure, Clark and Lana's relationship issues are getting tiresome but it is still worth wathcing!!!!!!

November 24 2007 at 4:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
teri

I still like smallville.. i liked all the season i would love to see more of the justice leaguers bring in batman and wonder woman .. i would love to see less of lois lane though.. i hate that martha kent will be on less.. i would like to see chloe get more of her edge would love to see pete return for a couple of episodes interested see how kara fits in and how she interacts with lex.. i would love to see a lot more of green arrow he is hot.. liked the "justice" when they all teamed up love the martian manhunter...

October 06 2007 at 10:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jose mayorga

smallville is still a great show no matter what happens...

September 23 2007 at 7:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

Scott, I would disagree with you. I've been a loyal viewer since the beginning of the show and I really enjoy the direction the show has taken. If anything, I appreciated the show maturing and developing its characters a bit more. Seasons 1 & 2 just featured the "monster of the week" and each episode would wrap itself up in a neat little bow at the end. I much prefer the continuing story lines that the later seasons have given us.

I would agree that there have been some pretty major departures from the DC Universe canon but I'll allow it in the interest of staying true to the flavor of the show itself. Just the addition of Chloe to the cast in the first episode is a great example of that. I'd say I've enjoyed seeing her and Clark's relationship develop as much as anything else on the show and I'm wondering just how and when the writers will bring their friendship to its obvious conclusion (the eventual loss of Chloe's life).

The other gem of this series is what they've done with Lex Luthor. Lex is somehow both a sympathetic victim and an outright evil scoundrel at the same time. I go from feeling his pain at all he's had to go through in his life to seeing he's just as devious, manipulative and evil as Clark believes him to be. Through it all, there is still a glimmer of friendship between the two of them. We viewers know there will be the eventual split from which there will be no return, but it hasn't happened yet. All of this is capped by the stellar performance of Michael Rosenbaum. He's the reason this all works in the first place.

So, where does the show go from here? Time will tell. I'm not as big a fan of all the other superheroes making their apperances on the show the way many other fans are however to be fair, this is a return to DC canon. It has been fun to see the reinterpretations of classic characters for the most part. I can't wait to see what they do with Bizzaro World next season but I've been very disappointed so far in their versions of both Mxyzptlk and Braniac so we'll see. What happened to Braniac being a super computer android with green skin anyway? The Phantom Zone was epic though and I loved that whole part of last season.

If anything, Smallville has gotten stronger over the years. I'm willing to overlook the ages of the actors involved because I'm not ready to say goodbye to the show yet. From what I've read, this season sounds like they will reach a turning point and the series is approaching its climax.

Bring it ON!!

September 05 2007 at 7:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

I think a lot of people who liked the show originally, and its down-to-earth premise about a teenager dealing with superpowers but living a fairly normal life, are not the audience they're going for anymore. I think somewhere in year 3, 4, or 5 the show decided to turn into a series that most resembled the comic books. Many people like that; others, especially the original viewers, don't.

September 04 2007 at 4:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oreo

News Flash! Season 4 and 5 were pretty trashy too!

I think every season got worse and worse, 1-3 were watchable, four is when I stopped caring, 5 was ehh.... and 6 I don't even like the previews!

September 04 2007 at 2:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jason Blosser

Um...can anyone say, "Jumped the shark?"

I consider Smallville to be only seasons 1-5.

Season 6 was a 20+ episode pilot for the CW's new show: "I Was a 35-year Old Teenage Superhero."

September 04 2007 at 2:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Thomas

More of the same. To be exact, everything potentially good will be wasted, whilst everything ridiculous will be at the forefront.

September 04 2007 at 1:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oreo

People still watch this trash?

September 04 2007 at 1:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply