October 31, 2014

Who needs iTunes? NBC will sell shows on Amazon Unbox

by Brad Linder, posted Sep 4th 2007 10:05PM
NBCIn what could be a boost for Amazon's digital download store and a potential blow for Apple's, NBC Universal has announced plans to sell TV shows through Amazon Unbox.

The base price of a television episode will be $1.99, the same price that Apple was charging before its little fight with NBC the other day.

But while Apple had insisted on pricing episodes consistently with other content offered via iTunes, Amazon has agreed to offer several different pricing levels. For example, customers can save up to 30% if they buy a whole season's worth of episodes at a time.

NBC Universal content had accounted for more than a third of iTunes video sales. There's still time for NBC and Apple to work out a deal. Their current contract doesn't expire until December, but Apple has already said that it will not offer any of NBC's new shows on iTunes because it doesn't want to provide customers with half a season's worth of episodes.

LLZZEE

I am annoyed because I do like to watch and rewatch TV shows, such as Battlestar, on my iPod when I am traveling. My computer is not as convenient and it does not have the memory space that my iPod has. If I can't put the Amazon product on my iPod, then it just is not worth it. So, NBC, you just lost a customer.

October 31 2007 at 7:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sanjay

The problem with unbox, itunes, and NBC for that matter is that they're all trying to create proprietary systems, where you can get only a portion of what you want. Unfortunately, the only aggregators are linking sites like http://www.graboid.com.

Why can't NBC offer its shows on iTunes AND Unbox? Capitalist pig-dogs.

September 08 2007 at 3:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Machine

Um... the article is about Apple and iTunes and tv shows.

It's not surprising that people who own Apples will be grumpy about having some of their favorite tv shows move over to a restrictive service that locks them out and forces them to torrent or wait for the DVD if they don't want to watch it broadcast. This doesn't make them trolls or fanboys... just irritated consumers who are responding on topic.

I notice that on any forum that you go to where macs or apple is mentioned you always get a certain percentage of people spewing abuse about the company and its fans... much as Mike did... so I responded... politely. Mike, if you want to mock Apple fans go back to Digg where that sort of behavior is rewarded. :P

September 06 2007 at 12:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eugene

wow, didn't take long for the apple trolls (both love and hate) to turn yet another topic into a discussion about apple. Good job guys.

Anyways, I refuse to pay money the same amount of money for a digital copy as I would a hard copy. As long as episodes cost the same or more than what it would cost on DVD, count me out. It's even more of a rip off if you consider the extra features and commentaries that you get with DVD that you don't get on a download.

September 05 2007 at 9:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jonny Rice

Jobs my be no friend of "the little guy," but at least his company attempts to offer new and exciting technologies to the public -- and not just one-size-fits-all workplace stations. Sure, they're both out to make a buck, but when's the last time someone said they couldn't wait to see what Windows will release next?!

September 05 2007 at 8:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Machine

Mike - Some of us find anti-Apple zealots just as irritating and snobby as you find us Apple fans.

When you think about the spending power and demographics of Apple owners, it's kind of stupid for companies to intentionally snub apple users.

September 05 2007 at 6:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Georgia

I love Unbox! And I was so happy to hear this; I never use iTunes and have never had a single problem with using Unbox. I can store and watch tv shows and movies on my computer or on my Creative Zen - great for my long commute! Yay NBC!!

September 05 2007 at 6:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

Dear Mac Owners:
We graciously suffer your claims of enlightenment (solely by virtue of Mac ownership).

Learn to live with the consequences of your snobbery/choice.

Steve Jobs is no more a friend of "the little guy" than Bill Gates. Indeed, his history suggests the opposite. Apple blows.

September 05 2007 at 4:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris

The thing that is better with Unbox, is that it is supported by TiVo. So, you can watch them right on your T.V. Then if you wanted you could transfer them to your pc or mac.

September 05 2007 at 12:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ProgGrrl

@nancyofthepants: it's certainly true that if you only want to watch a few shows a year, buying them online is the cheaper option.

If you want to try a lot of shows, watch movies, doc's, limited series, reruns & etc, it's worth using cable plus a DVR to grab all the shows.

I am using these numbers: Cable+DVR $75/month ($900/year), and season passes on iTunes averaging $30/season.

September 05 2007 at 12:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply