October 4, 2015

Picard for President?

by Bob Sassone, posted Sep 7th 2007 8:56AM

Patrick Stewart

Are you a Captain Kirk fan or a Captain Picard fan? On one hand you have toupees and overacting and awesome songs, and on the other hand you have a calm, tea-drinking guy who pulls at his shirt all the time. I lean more toward Picard, but I often find that punching an alien instead of talking to him and sleeping with various female life forms gets the job done too.

In honor of Star Trek: The Next Generation's 20th anniversary,* Marty Beckerman makes a case for Jean-Luc Picard as President of the U.S. in this Huffington Post piece. More specifically, he compares the leadership qualities of the Enterprise captain with the leadership qualities of our current President.

It's a great piece, even if you're not a Trekkie geek virgin Star Trek aficionado.

* God I'm old.

Which is why older Star Trek worked Wes, they were talking about things that could or would happen in today's world. Sadly Voyager and Enterprise couldn't do that.

And my cat would make a better president than Bush, and she's over 35 in cat years and born in the USA.

September 07 2007 at 11:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

I think it was my years of Star Trek viewing that had me ready for this administration. Between TNG and DS9, I've been put thru all the scenarios we're now living with, with a much cooler-futuristic sci-fi twist of course. It was all predictable and it all happened exactly as the writer's wrote. Loss of liberty, loss of diplomacy, loss of decency and sense of truth. Paranoia, xenophobia, you name it, it was covered.

September 07 2007 at 11:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Sisko, bitches.

September 07 2007 at 10:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Come on, Picard singing the Alphabet song is pretty great too, especially where Patrick Stewart is actually in uniform while doing it. :)

September 07 2007 at 10:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Toby OB

Well, in that alternate future, they'd still have to change the Constitution to allow him to run for President of the United States, as he was born in France.

However, he could run for the President of Earth or even the President of the Federation of Planets.

And yes, I'm an old geek too......

September 07 2007 at 9:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply