April 24, 2014

The Dead Zone: Ambush

by Jen Creer, posted Sep 10th 2007 3:00AM
The Dead Zone: Ambush(S06E12) We are finally coming around full circle to address Walt's death from the season premiere. Why we couldn't have been seeing bits of this as we went along, I don't know, but having a cohesive season of episodes in which one week continues logically into the next has never been a goal of The Dead Zone-- and that is fine. I just wish it would decide whether it wants to be a serial show or not, because it certainly is when it wants to be.

Sarah is continuing with her hissy fit and moving out. Where does a sheriff's widow get enough money to hire movers? I know she must get a pension, but it's a state pension, and she doesn't work, but they always seem to have enough money. And I guess now they will live rent-free in Walt's cabin, which may or may not actually exist. Leo was lying about having ever worked on or seen the cabin. Somebody clearly wants the new sheriff to think that Walt's cabin has been worked on, though, and so what are Sarah, JJ and Hope going to find when they get out there?

If this whole move weren't clearly so contrived to bring Johnny and Sarah back together, I'd be more patient with it. Perhaps if they make that denouement last longer than next week's episode, that could be interesting.

Did anybody else notice that the actress who plays the sheriff was a special guest star tonight? Did she quit already, or did they figure out they made a casting mistake? It was nice to see Chris Bruno again as Walt. And now we finally have clues into what Walt was investigating: Johnny's father, Herb Smith. With a nice side of Greg Stillson and Armageddon thrown in to the bargain. It's starting to become clearer why Greg Stillson is keeping Sarah so close, and why he shut down the investigation into Sheriff Bannerman.

Walt was Johnny's best friend: Why didn't he tell him that he had news about Johnny's father, or that Herb had come up in an investigation?

I like how JJ's powers and abilities are being developed, and that he has feelings. Did you notice that his feelings occurred when he was wearing Johnny's baseball cap, indicating that he derives his feelings from touching objects that belong to people, just as Johnny's visions also depend on touch? I hope we see more of that come out.

Do you think that just as Johnny's ability has passed from father to son that we will possibly discover that Johnny's father also passed abilities onto Johnny?
yes102 (90.3%)
no11 (9.7%)

clgbutterfly

I for one am worried that the Armagaedon storyline is back. It mucked down the entire series and they had to step away from it to save the show. I was happy to see a conclusion. In fact it hasn't been so bad with Stiltson not looking that a total bad guy, but a patsy. It is clear that after his fiancee's death it appeared he was taking a new path. If they do approach the Armagaedon storyline again they better be careful.
The major thing that is annoying me is how they are drawing out the Johnny/Sarah storyline. The angst is being drawn out a bit too far and when you start doing that you lead to a great climax, but then no one wants to watch the show anymore (the greatest killer of any show). Why is it Johnny never hestitates, when his visions tell him something, but he can't grab hold of his own life. Let's hope they don't doom themselves with a great climax and then no follow through.

I think Jody is right about the "support" thing. What needs to happen is Johnny and Sarah need to find each other for supports, which is the good foundation of a relationship and can create a team that can further push the show forward. And she is right that this is a strong theme we see it even in past history with Johnny's mom and the Reverend.
This show has gone down many avenues that often kill show, and has returned usually with grace. Yes the beginning of the season has been shakey, but by the end of the season you usually feel satisfied and coming back for more.
I think it is going in a good direction if it can keep the reigns on the Armagaedon storyline and continue to develop the J.J. storyline. Also don't be surprised to see the bad Stilson again, afterall he is very possessive.

As far as the viewing snafu it hit us even in center of the U.S., but the next showing it was fixed.

September 12 2007 at 12:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joey Geraci

It looks like they are keeping the worst of all possible outcomes on the table, a romantic fling with the sheriff. Ughhh! I hope I'm wrong there.

I got bit by the East Coast bug too, in Florida. Although it looks like all that happened is they went back to the police station with the guy they had been looking for, and then Abraham Lincoln/Sheriff's Psychiatrist started a shooting spree in the office.

Am I the only one that gasped when Johnny turned over the paper to find "Armageddon". I was sure that whole plot line was completely dropped. I'm glad though, because the whole resolution of that with Janus' death just seemed so half-baked. And it looks like Stillson shows his true naughty colors next week in front of Sarah, so she'll finally find out what he's like.

September 11 2007 at 1:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jody

"We are finally coming around full circle to address Walt's death from the season premiere. Why we couldn't have been seeing bits of this as we went along, I don't know, but having a cohesive season of episodes in which one week continues logically into the next has never been a goal of The Dead Zone-- and that is fine."

Yeah, I have to admit I was hoping for more about the Walt investigation other than the smoke screeen they were blowing most of the season. We now find out that it was nothing, but didn't they say that information on Walt's cabin presented to Turner didn't match what the Treasury Dept. said. Treasury Dept? Why is there information from there? Because of the inheritance Walt got? Why wouldn't Walt have told Sarah about an inheritance?

Speaking of the cabin that Sarah is about to move into. Is the game, "Walt's Computer" tied into the plot? If so, then Sarah is about to enter a dangerous area. If anyone is playing the game then they should know what I'm talking about. Is this all a set up? For what? To trap Sarah and isolate her so Stillson can move in?

And Turner? Why in the world would anyone want to send Turner down to Cleaves Mills? All of this smells of a master manipulator with some grand plan.

With Walt's death, two people are affected, John and Sarah. The kids will wind up wherever Sarah is. I found it interesting that John had said that he lost all of his "supports" when Walt died. This seemed to be and acknowledgement of the stabilizing influence Walt had in John's life and probably Sarah's considering how flibberty-gibbet she's been acting. I still can't get over about how Sarah is going on about "the lie" John told yet Walt has apparently done something similar and Sarah wants to "move on". I think she's not wanting to uncover the truth that yet another man she loved lied to her to protect her. I think it's Sarah's fault that everyone has to feel that they need to lie to her.

Now that leads me to JJ. JJ has never told his mother about his "feelings" that may some day turn into visions. It seems he's getting something because of the way he's reacting to whatever he sensed when wearing John's hat. He didn't want to leave John because he senses John is not going to be okay. I think John may sense that too, hence the deperate plea for Sarah not to leave him. Remember what he said in "Collision" that night of his accident? "I should've stayed with Sarah". She must be his security blanket.

But anyway, I do think that the cohesiveness of the season has been one it's strong suites. Sarah has turned into someone we don't recognize. Maybe that is what it's supposed to do. They have mentioned in the show a few times about how the people around us influence who we are and maybe head off a a turn down the wrong road. John's "supports" are gone and it looks like he's going to be in for a rude awakening. We may see a part of him that was like Future Johnny in "Tipping Point". Maybe Turner will be his new buddy? Gads, spare me!

September 11 2007 at 11:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jon88

And if you, like me, missed the 1 a.m. feed, there's another on Wednesday morning, also at 1 a.m. ET.

September 10 2007 at 5:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John Stewart

Yeah, I'm on the east coast and USA screwed up the 10PM showing, so I decided to catch the next showing that aired at 1AM.

September 10 2007 at 3:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lee

Same screw up for me, too. I think, after reading at the USA bulletin boards, that it was an east coast feed problem.

Cara Buono (Sheriff Turner) has been listed as a guest star all season, like how David Odgen Stiers was always listed. But the past two weeks, Chris Bruno was listed as a regular again.

It seems they've been wavering back and forth on whether: 1. Johnny got his powers from his father; 2. Johnny passed on his powers to J.J. I just hope they've come to a conclusion one way or the other in both cases.

September 10 2007 at 9:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
malvegil

Tim: Yeah, that happened to me to. We missed a whole section of the show. It skipped from them finding Leo to the sheriff holed up in her office.

September 10 2007 at 9:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim

I think I missed a piece of this episode last night. I was watching the show when it went into commercial and when it came back, I was seeing what happened a few minutes ago.

At first I thought I might have been having my own person vision. It lasted until the next commercial break.

When it comes back, Johnny, Sherrif, and Leo are hiding from Abraham Lincoln (I saw him shoot at them).

Did this happen to anyone else?

September 10 2007 at 9:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply