July 30, 2014

Weeds: Bill Sussman

by Julia Ward, posted Sep 11th 2007 11:07AM
Bill Sussman Weeds
(S01E05)
I bet you guys think critical thinking is whack. Well, it is. Why think when you could just watch The Secret? Some of Agrestic's residents must be watching The Secret. Celia got a brand new house. Doug got a golf membership. Sullivan got his way. Silas got a a new calling. And, Andy (aka Bill Sussman) got let off the hook. The only person not exercising the "laws of attraction" seems to be Nancy. All Nancy got was a great big pile of smack to sit on.

Now, I don't really understand why Nancy was so freaked out by the whole heroin thing. I mean, she's been in a drive-by, done a brick dance and run a grow house. Her second husband was taken out by a gun-for-hire, and she's seen the business end of a firearm more than once. Holding on to a little smack for a spell gives her the shakes? I know. I know. Pot's a recreational drug, fun for the kids. Heroin ruins lives. I saw Trainspotting. I understand the difference. I'm just surprised anything freaks out poor Nancy at this point. In my modest experience with being totally and completely fucked, hopelessness breeds a certain kind of stupid courage. I hope Nancy finds some.

I was a little worried that Weeds was going to get severely derailed by either Andy's military storyline or Matthew Modine's trip to super campsville. I needn't have worried. Everything has righted itself. The funny is in full effect. Some of my favorite moments - Marvin shooting the bird from the back of the Prius during the drive-by; the aforementioned Secret cameo; and the abortion. Oh, man, the abortion. That brought back some bible belt memories. My teacher actually burst into tears with the big "abortion" reveal. If that scene signaled anything though, it's that the gloves are off. Weeds has always been overtly political, but there's no apologizing from here on out. The "suck yourself" military man. Matthew Modine's Christian community built on bribery, hypocrisy and weed. Tell us how you really feel, Weeds.

This was another great week for Mary-Louise Parker's face. Her expression driving away from the shooting with Marvin bleeding in the backseat and U-Turn guns blazing was priceless. That right there deserves an Emmy.

Best Supporting Player: Bill Sussman's Wig

Will U-Turn be killed in the coming gang war?
Yes163 (66.0%)
No84 (34.0%)

Erica

I have to say I love the Weeds/Californication combo. I am SO VERY HAPPY that UTurn has been killed off. I was about to blog regarding this story line, and since we are still fresh off the cuff from it let me just state that as much as I love Weeds and its humor some things about this show should not change. This show was meant to shock like most Cable t.v. shows. It was turning into a joke, there was always the underlying factor that Nancy isn't a true drug dealer just doing this for cash but honestly the UTurn turning her into a soldier was ridiculous, the brick dance etc. was making light of a very scary and serious situation, I think possibly Showtime has gotten some smack for showing a darker side to white america but lets face it drugs are prominant in all cultures and should be shown in there true light. That was THE BEST thing about this show. I do hope you get back to your roots and keep it real. It was funny before and still can be.

September 18 2007 at 3:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jort

WWVMD: What would Vic Mackey Do?

Plant (ha!) some evidence :D

September 13 2007 at 5:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
larsinio

this show is still a huge downer. IT's just been more and more depressing ever since season 2.

Bring back teh funny!

Give Kevin Nealon more airtime please!

Stop adding more drama, tehre is enough drama on the plate!

September 12 2007 at 6:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Natalie

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the new Weeds episodes? I can't wait for the DVD's!

September 12 2007 at 5:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
stephen

i think the reason Nancy freaked out over the heroin has to do with the symbol on the chest... three 6s. I assume U-Turn stole the drugs from the tres seis's (or whatever they were called) and now Nancy, holding on to their heroin, and it looked like quite a bit, is going to put her directly between two gangs once more, except this time, she will have an allegiance to one. Nancy a gang member!

September 12 2007 at 4:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
edgore

My impression from the Heylia/conrad conversation was that Conrad pulled the trigger, not Heylia. Interesting to see how that turns out.

Best Part of the episode though was definitely the Dresden Dolls "Girl Anachronism" over the final scene.

September 12 2007 at 2:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oreo

Being the best episode of a bad season doesn't make it as good as past seasons.

September 12 2007 at 12:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Haggis

This was one of the best episodes of this season, hands down. Andy's hijinks, the military erasing Doug's hard drive, the "Suck Yourself" army guy, Marvin getting shot in the ass (by Heylia) it looks like.

I saw Andy getting dishonorable discharge coming from a mile away.. its the only way they could figure out a way to get him out of the military for good and leave that storyline behind. Too bad a poor schmuck had to die to make it happen.

As far as U-Turn's fate goes, I think that it's gonna resolve itself with Nancy's late husband's partner watching them and digging around. They're gonna find a way to pin this all on U-Turn and get themselves off scott free in the process. Maybe some slight collateral damage in the process.

And I cannot wait to see Shane rip into the anti-abortionists. His rants are as legendary as Andy's!

September 11 2007 at 4:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1iPete

Heylia has already started her move on U-Turn. The conversation about the gun between her and Conrad confirmed that she is the one who shot Marvin. She knew that U-Turn would be quick to blame a rival gang and retaliate thus starting a war. It remains to be seen if the war accomplishes her goal of freeing Conrad and if her action ever gets traced back to her.

September 11 2007 at 4:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michelle

I agree that the show was at its best last night, and now that things have calmed down a bit, I think that it will be ok....For me, it was a little bit to depressing to be funny in the first few episodes of the season.

About U-Turn, I definetly think he will be killed, and that the gang war may look to be the cause, but I think Heylia will be the one to take care of it...I can already see it as part of the season finale cliff hanger...We haven't found out what she meant when she said "You let me worry about U-Turn," have we? Maybe she has an accomplice in the rival gang.

How many more weeks can we look forward to anyway?

September 11 2007 at 12:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply