October 26, 2014

Rescue Me: Yaz (season finale)

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Sep 13th 2007 1:03AM

Denis Leary stars as Tommy Gavin on FX's Rescue Me.

(S04E13) "OK, so jet skis and neck vaginas? This is your idea of a great Kevin Costner movie?" - Tommy

Is this the end? I've only just started hearing about it. Unsubstantiated rumors, chit-chat on message boards... but we may have just seen the final episode of Rescue Me. Period. The argument? Every other season has had news of a renewal around the fifth or sixth episode. John Landgraf has kept quiet during this season of Rescue Me, a season that's seen some of its lowest ratings since the first. Coupled with what many considered to be lackluster plots and I can't say that I blame the FX brass for weighing their options. That being said, nothing is official. This episode (it saved the season if you ask me) was clearly written with a fifth season in mind. Here's to hoping that FX lets Leary finish out his vision.

Initially, I really thought it was the end. Especially with the way it started. Tommy was drinking, womanizing just as he always had. Then he started day-dreaming. Remembering 9/11. Speaking to Jimmy one last time. Connor's accident. Johnny's funeral. All these defining moments popped into Tommy's head and for a brief moment, it felt like a series that was wrapping itself up and moving on.

Nope. All in Tommy's head. The only thing he was drinking was a soda... but it was all in his head. So for those who speculated that Tommy had been in a coma all season since the beach house fire, there was still hope. There was even that weird scene where he implanted himself into that guy's story at the AA meeting, having sex while Sheila and Janet watched. But, again... all in his head. So quash the coma idea too. The only thing that seems to be holding true is what Feinberg has been preaching for a few weeks now -- Tommy might just be plain 'ol nuts.

Well for someone who's potentially nuts, he seems to be alright. He's calm, collected, and has a grip on his drinking problem. He knows that he wants Janet back, but he'll apparently settle for Valerie instead. Granted, going into fires while wearing Jimmy's old coat still reeks of insanity, but I'm starting to think that his reasons were less self-serving and more about the memory of Jimmy. He never sees Jimmy anymore and as a result, we've sort of forgotten about him. So what about the people that never saw him at all? By "becoming Jimmy's ghost," Tommy is just keeping the candle burning in his own twisted way.

I think one of the things I liked best about this episode was how it presented this idea of stability as a function of living your life to the fullest. It culminated with Tommy's dad dying at the baseball game (everyone should have seen that one coming), while everyone else sort of found this peace in their own lives. Lou coming clean with Cousin Mike. Maggie and Sean calling it quits for good. Franco giving Natalie space and helping Richie fulfill his dreams. Janet moving on with her new boyfriend. Colleen getting back in the game with Bart.

The only person not making progress? Sheila. She found the coat, and if you ask me, put two and two together. She knows it was Tommy, especially after reading Jimmy's note to Connor. Why was she still crying? Not because she hadn't seen Jimmy's ghost, but because now she knows she never will.

So after all that, do we have enough to pull off a fifth season? I say yes, but only if it's the final one. The episode set up the need for closure in Tommy's life and now that story remains the only one left to tell. If not, it'll be a lot more of one thing we saw in this finale: Tommy on top of an elevator, going up and down, but not really making any progress.

Should Rescue Me be renewed for a fifth season?
Yes, there's still more story to tell.1492 (91.4%)
No, it's all out of steam.140 (8.6%)

Reggie

Natalie asked Franco to look after Richie and make sure he DIDN'T get married! She is gonna be furious at Franco!

November 02 2007 at 6:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Emily

I love this show, it's had it's ups and downs but they've always been interesting. I didn't know that "Yaz" was the season finale and am now somewhat heartbroken to find this out (I don't have cable just itunes). If this show gets canceled I'll probably cry, which sounds ridiculous but is very true.

I've noticed on these boards people giving possible reasons for why Tommy wears Jimmy's coat. My thought has always been that this was due to his dream about everyone in the firehouse dying. In this way he can be with them whenever they go to a fire and go after the hardest saves to ensure none of them die. With Tommy every person in his life represents an obstacle of problems and petty disagreements but he doesn't want any of them to go anyway. Much like the thought a parent has with a child, "If I'm here they can't get hurt".

Anyway I can't wait for season five and really hope this awesome show doesn't get canceled.

September 20 2007 at 11:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Beth

I just started watching and I do love it. I agree after watching the dvd of the previous seasons, season 4 was a little strange, but this show stills has it and I hope we get a season 5.

September 19 2007 at 9:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Highland

Great response Jeff and I agree that Season 4 was much more of a development season for many characters. However, I still stand on the fact that Leary & Tolan are capable of much more. After the first 2 episodes I had to double check the credits to see if they lost a writer or added someone new. The best episode of this season was the worst episode of season 2 (the best season so far). I also agree that next season will serve well if it sticks with the battle of alcoholism, the love of having a relationship (women, men, firehouse) and the wanting to be able to control one's life. It wouldn't hurt to bring back the smart-ass discussions at the kitchen table either.

September 19 2007 at 4:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
J. Shell

Judy - If you've never missed an episode, you'd know the answers to your questions.

The dog came from Tommy's new (albeit apparently brief) new neighborhood after he moved out of the larger space he had shared with Janet. Tommy started sneaking into fires when off-duty and ultimately moved into the supply room with the dog (and what a great looking dog!) two or three episodes ago, where he could then hitch along on fire calls in Jimmy's jacket.

Season 3's finale got resolved by : Tommy feeling emasculated by the Long Island firefighter girl; and Sheila getting the insurance money. What other answers did you want? Everyone was predicting a huge fight and blow-up between Tommy and Sheila.

I, for one, am glad that the show didn't do what everybody expected there.

And I'm glad there are un-answered questions. My life is full of them. I wish that every thirteen weeks I could get them all answered.

I loved this season.

Is Tommy nuts for donning Jimmy's jacket and going into those fires?

The answer was at that AA meeting in this episode, when the guy was saying he wanted something that he loved as much as Booze. Tommy loves his job, loves Jimmy; hell, loves those around him. Firefighters save lives. For once, he's trying to save those around him instead of destroying them. I'm sorry if that's too much character development for some who'd rather see him pissing on 9-11 cookies every week and dousing himself with Vodka. Those were great episodes too, but come on - I saw seasons one, two, and three already.

I also think this season has shown a lot about what it takes to sober up and stay sober; about how much of a fight it is, especially when compared against the wild drinking days. I think it's also shown that it can be worth it.

I hope there's a season five, and I hope it continues what this season did. There are quite a few stories I'd like to see play out. Father Mick (Mike?) seemed to be losing it a little bit. Will he return to drinking?

September 18 2007 at 11:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Judy

I have never missed an episode of Rescue Me but sure wished I had missed the season finale! Very boring and many, many unanswered questions. Can anyone tell me why Tommy was homeless, where did the dog come from, why wasn't the finale of season 3 ever addressed??? The whole 4th season was boring to me and each week I hoped for more and more never came. Then I anxiously awaited the season finale and was still bored and had no answered questions. Can't say I would look forward to season 5.

September 18 2007 at 3:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Stu

***Mike - Where did you hear this?!?!? I can't believe that, with all the other boring, meaningless bulls**t shows on F/X, this show would get yanked!

September 18 2007 at 1:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

Unconfirmed report from close source of Denis Leary state that FX will pull the plug on Rescue Me, and it will not return for a 5th season. I am searching for confirmation of this, so hold off panic buttons until it is confirmed. This could be just a rumor.

September 18 2007 at 11:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Donna Dut

I think Highland should write Season 5. I'd watch.
If not, I'm passing.

September 18 2007 at 9:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Donna Dut

I disagree...the shark is 100% fully jumped. This season was awful and pointless...I'll pass on season five. Go back and watch season one and two if you don't believe me...there is no comparison. it's over.

September 18 2007 at 9:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply