November 20, 2014

Why is George Lopez on Nick at Nite?

by Joel Keller, posted Sep 14th 2007 1:02PM
George Lopez showRecently, The Onion had a really funny article called "Nation Suddenly Feels Old After Seeing Nick-At-Nite Lineup" (funniest line: "Why are they playing shows from 1988? That's only...fuck, that's 19 years ago? Oh God, I've wasted my life."). But it seems like even The Onion can't keep up with the rapid changes in the nostalgia network's lineup. Nick at Nite has not only rocketed past the eighties and started concentrating on sitcoms from the nineties (Home Improvement, Fresh Prince), but they've decided to start airing shows from the 2000s as well.

How do I know this? I turned on Nick at Nite last night and saw an episode of... George Lopez.

Yeah, you read that correctly. the George Lopez show, which just got cancelled by ABC after a five year run, is now on a network whose mission has been to give people a chance to see the shows they grew up watching. Yes, it's an OK family sitcom that seems to fit very well in the family-oriented Nick at Nite lineup. But how can a person get nostalgic for a show that a) not many people watched in the first place and b) just got cancelled three months ago?

It makes me wonder if Nick at Nite and its sister channel, TV Land, aren't making a subtle shift away from nostalgia. TV Land is not only showing movies, for crissakes, but they recently added the currently-running Extreme Makeover: Home Edition to their schedule. What gives? I mean, I could accept a move away from sixties sitcoms like I Dream of Jeannie and Bewitched to sitcoms a bigger chunk of the audience might remember from their childhoods. But... George Lopez? It hasn't been off the air long enough for us to get nostalgic over it.

By the way, take a look at the network's new logo (on their website). The splatter that's part of the new logo leads me to believe that Nick at Nite is going to be tied more closely into Nickelodeon's family programming -- it looks like the logo is getting "slimed" -- and will get away from nostalgia. But maybe I'm just being paranoid.

What do you think? Drop us a comment and take the polls below and let us know.

Does George Lopez belong on Nick at Nite?
Yes980 (56.9%)
No743 (43.1%)

Do you think Nick at Nite has stopped being a nostalgia network?
Yes819 (59.7%)
No553 (40.3%)

jessicas3

I watched the George Lopez show, and I found it funny, however I would not call him a racist, he just strongly opinionated, and does not know when enough is too much. As for the Nick at night drama, I totally agree, I, for one, absolutely loathe home improve, and here they are advertising it as some great gift sent from the heavens.

December 11 2007 at 5:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
claudia

What is the programmer at Nick at Night on? Are there kickbacks going on? In southeastern Michigan both N@N and N@N2 are playing 8 or 10 episodes of Fresh Prince of Bel Air amongst a smattering of Home Improvement, George Lopez (oh please!) and one episode of Full House(ugh). The list tonight includes 1 Full House,4 Home Improvement shows, 2 George Lopez, and ...9 Fresh Prince shows! What is this? Add to that the fact that this has been going on for MONTHS! NIGHT AFTER NIGHT-WEEK AFTER WEEK-MONTH AFTER MONTH! Are you all nuts?

November 21 2007 at 12:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LLong

I ussed to really enjoy watching Nick@Nite. Now, I may watch only 1/2 hour every two weeks.

There is no longer anything nostalgic about Nick@Nite. The shows that are being aired are AWFUL and are anything but nostalgic. Maybe someonw will realize that MANY of us still want to see shows like Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke, I Love Lucy, Leave it to Beaver, The Donna Reed Show, The Brady Bunch, Full House, and others. Nobody wants to watch the garbage that you are currently airing!!! We are the baby boomers and want to see TV shows which are and have been a part of our lives. Talk to your sponsors. Afterall, we are the ones with the moneyand who will be supporting their ads!

Sincerely,
LLong

November 17 2007 at 9:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dave

This show perpetuates the stereotype that George Lopez is funny.
-Chris Griffin

October 30 2007 at 10:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ginger

All I have to say is bring back ROSEANNE damn it !!!!!
Especially with Halloween coming up, it just will not be
the same without the Conners "halloween parties"

Who do you contact to make this happen or shouldn't the viewers have a say so in what is aired? I certianly think so!

What dumb dick decided to air George Lopez? how stupid is that?

I like Fresh Prince and all, but come on enough is enough!

October 18 2007 at 12:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Venus

First of all this is all a matter of opinion as is religion, sports, and sex. Nick @ Nite is nothing like it used to be, they had The Patty Duke Show, Mary Tyler Moore Show, Dick Van Dyke Show etc...and these shows were from way back when, classics. Now people let's move on as times do and realize that shows like "Cosby Show" "Home Improvement" "Who's the Boss" "Cheers" "Happy Days" "Laverne & Shirley" are the classics of today. And also shows like "Seinfeld" "Frasier" and even though I don't care for the guy much "George Lopez" will probably be, like it or not, classics of the future. People get out of the caves you live in and keep up w/technology and television and how far we've come; get your heads out of your ass!!! This is 2007 - not 1950!

September 29 2007 at 11:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Zach

That's exactly what I thought when I saw the George Lopez commercials on NaN. It just doesn't make any sense to me. I agree with everybody else, no one watched it when it was on and it just ended. Get real NaN. I don't mind them doing Home Improvement since it roughly is becoming a classic now and did help launch Tim Allen's career. It's a semi funny show. NaN is definitely going into a new direction which is really a shame. I wished they'd rotate classic/newer/new series instead of running Fresh Prince and Rosanne. At this point, the Ion channel is more of a nostalgic channel with shows like The Wonder Years, Who's the Boss (both shows I want on DVD REAL bad), the original BSG, etc. then NaN is.

September 18 2007 at 8:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Phil

Could be they pasturized (out to) Lopez because his cocky "Brown is the New Green Thus We Lationos are Taking Over" PBS documentary pissed some powerful folks off.

September 15 2007 at 7:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
megastar_13

I remember being in middle school ten years ago and watching the great Nick At Nite Marathons during the summer: Bewitched, I Love Lucy, Mary Tyler Moore, Happy Days, The Munsters. Plus my absolute favorite of them all, Get Smart. It's a real shame some of these shows have even stopped running on TV Land.

September 15 2007 at 1:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
purpleslog

Oh, and I forgot: Bachelor Dad!

September 14 2007 at 9:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply