November 23, 2014

Apple's gonna make me buy that damned Feist song

by Joel Keller, posted Sep 17th 2007 11:38AM
Feist: The ReminderNow I know how Apple manages to pump up iTunes sales; they play an iPod ad with a certain song so many times that millions of people have no other option but to log on and download that song, just in an effort to get it out of their heads before they snap.

Case in point: The current ad for the new iPod Nano plays the song "1234" by Feist. I guess they used the song so Apple could show the different colors of Nano while Ms. Feist counts off in a sing-songy fashion. Also I think they want to show how great a video with a large number of people in it (she uses a large backing chorus on the song) looks on the Nano's itty-bitty screen (though I can barely see it on the ad, but whatever).

It's not a bad song. But because Apple has bought so much commercial time since the new Nano's introduction -- and hasn't produced any other ads -- this Feist ad plays over and over ad nauseum. I saw the ad at least four times during last night's Yankees-Red Sox game alone, and, even though Jay didn't mention it during his live blog, I checked with him via IM and he confirmed that they played the ad so many times during the Emmys that it was about to make him go on a nine-state killing spree.

(Well, not really. But they played it a lot. And Jay was pretty on-edge anyway, having to skip all the fun sports that were on just to live blog the Emmys for us. Three hours of Seacrest would make anyone a bit squirrely. But that's another story...)

But Apple has really done its job. I thought it was a cute but harmless song (I first heard the song when she performed it on Letterman this past summer, and thought the chorus part was fun. That was about it). But now? I'm at the point where I'm thinking, "the next time I'm on iTunes I should download that song." And there's a reason for that. If I don't hear the entire song, the thirty-second snippet Apple gave us in the ad will rattle around in my cranium for months. So it's either download the song or go out and yell at the college kid who's going to serve me my latte tomorrow morning. You can see that I have no choice.

This isn't the first time Apple has made me so batty with one of their ads I had to download a song just to keep me sane. I downloaded "Jerk It Out" from the Ceasars for the same reason, and I heard U2's "Vertigo" so many times that I almost downloaded the song and bought the album; luckily, common sense prevailed there and I waited.

Here's a list of songs that have been in iPod ads. I'm sure at least a few of them are on your own iPods, just because the ads drove you to download those songs just through sheer repetition (would anyone have bought "Cubicle" from Rinocerose if not for those ads? Didn't think so). Which of these songs drove you so nuts that you just had to download them? Let me know in the comments.

Have those iPod Nano ads made you want to buy that Feist song?
Yes234 (70.7%)
No57 (17.2%)
What iPod ad? I own a TiVo.40 (12.1%)

Nep

What the others said. Buy the album. It's brilliant. Then do yourself another favour, and buy "Let It Die", because it's even better!

September 18 2007 at 7:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brent

The whole album, which is indeed fantastic (I've listened to it about 1,000,000 times), is available on eMusic in DRM-Free MP3:

September 18 2007 at 12:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jonny Rice

I agree with KateGee, go buy The Reminder in its entirety. It's fantastic. Additionally, it's nice to see someone who's not already huge get some of the iPod advert love. (I'm talking to you, Bono and Bob Dylan!)

September 17 2007 at 8:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tricia

Patrick, that is where I watched the video. So I guess I am legal, right?

September 17 2007 at 8:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jacob Geiser

The only song I have ever wanted to find from a commercial is the song "idioteque" by Radiohead (off of Kid A) because they would play in the bumpers for the "10 Spot" on MTV. For what ever reason I loved the sound and discovered Radiohead. Best discovery ever.

September 17 2007 at 6:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Journeymystery

So yesterday I commented on the post made on this site about Chris Crocker pointing out how instead of linking his video posted in his account you linked some random person who had ripped off his video.
Now here with Feist you guys are doing the same thing.
A legal copy of Feist's video can be found through Universal Music Group's Youtube account:

I don't want to be replying to all the posts on this site with complaints. I'm a big fan of this site and I overall enjoyed this particular post. I just think that people should take the time to find Youtube videos posted legitimately, especially when it's not just an average person, but a professional site like this one.

Peace.
-Patrick (http://www.myspace.com/journeymystery)

September 17 2007 at 3:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nathan

Target has the CD for $10, if you can't find it at a local record store. Her first album is different but just as good. The best way to get a song out of your head? Play the next track.

September 17 2007 at 3:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
KateG

Why don't you just buy The Reminder - it's a great album. And then go buy some Broken Social Scene too. You'll feel better.

September 17 2007 at 2:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
AJ

I would've live blogged for you...oh well

September 17 2007 at 2:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tv junkie

I fell in love with Feist when I first heard her song "Gatekeeper" from the HSBC Direct commercial (http://youtube.com/watch?v=ojsR4fDWAcE)
she also sang the song "My Moon My Man" in the new Verison chocolate commercial as well.

September 17 2007 at 2:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply