October 25, 2014

Brett Somers dead at 83

by Bob Sassone, posted Sep 17th 2007 3:36PM

Brett SomersVeteran Match Game panelist Brett Somers has died at age the age of 83.

I was going to say that Somers "was" married to Jack Klugman, but an interesting fact: even though they separated in 1974, while The Odd Couple was on the air, they never divorced! Somers played Klugman's ex-wife on the show.

Besides her many game show appearances, Somers also guest starred on The Love Boat, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, Love, American Style, Barney Miller, Battlestar Galactica (the original), The F.B.I., The Defenders, Ben Casey, Naked City, and many other shows.

Somers died of cancer in Westport, CT on Saturday. Her co-star Charles Nelson Reilly died earlier this year.

Update: GSN is having a marathon this Saturday from 9am to 4pm, featuring Somers' Match Game appearances and a Password where she guested with Jack Klugman.

m_gerber4

I JUST EVERYBODY IN THE MATCH GAME BECAUSE THEY ARE SO SILLY AND GENE RAYBURN MAKES EVERYBODY LAUGH BY TELLING JOKES AND I LOVE THAT AND I LOVE ALL THE GUYS BECAUSE THEY ARE SO COOL AND I BET EVERYBODY IN HER FAMILY REALLY MISSES HER AND THE GIRLS ARE SO PRETTY

March 06 2014 at 12:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mike

I ams sadened by the loss of Brett Somers , she really was a terrific classy lady and will be Missed By so many people , R.I.P. Brett. tell Charles we all love and Miss him and now the two of you can start your own Match Game in Heaven

September 21 2007 at 1:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John Simmons

Gene,Charles, and now Brett. So sad. The heart of the Match Game has stopped beating. She will be greatly missed.

September 21 2007 at 12:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ashley

I was so sad when my mom told me about brett somers I literally teared up a little bit!! that show is the best and I love her!

September 18 2007 at 5:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Galley

I was shocked when I saw her recently on an episode of Battlestar Galactica on DVD. I never knew she acted. I thought she was merely a celebrity for celebrity's sake.

September 18 2007 at 9:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jack

Awwww... we've been Tivoing Match Game for months, watching hundreds of them. She and Charles were a great pair of characters.

September 17 2007 at 7:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

Aww, how sad! Gene Rayburn, Richard Dawson, Brett Somers, and Charles Nelson Reilly together made Match Game a timelessly entertaining and funny 22 minutes.

September 17 2007 at 4:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brian

Aww that's so sad! It's crazy too because Charles just died recently! Brett was my favorite from Match Game - she was so goofy and kept the show so lively! RIP Brett. ;'(

September 17 2007 at 3:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply