April 24, 2014

Kid Nation gang gets drunk on soda - VIDEO

by Bob Sassone, posted Sep 19th 2007 4:21PM

Kid Nation logoWhen I was a kid, maybe around 10 or 11 years old, a friend and I brought some "near beer" with us during a trip to the Museum of Science in Boston. We were so proud of that feat, even if the drink itself was rather lame.

I thought of that after watching this video clip (after the jump) from Kid Nation, which premiere's tonight at 8 on CBS. I don't know if this is from tonight's episode or a later one, but it shows the kids all gathering at the town saloon and sucking down drinks after a hard week's work. Now, I'm assuming that it's just soda and not alcohol they happened to find in the town, but let me ask all of the kids who are reading this: is it cool nowadays to gulp down down soda like this and pretend you're "getting drunk?" Eleven year-olds getting sloshed and learning how to hang out at some cheap bar - it's so adorable! It's like Charles Bukowski - The Early Years.

And for the record, when I was a kid, we called it "tonic," not soda.

mellonmarshall

hey it is actually possible at that age to do it, only at that age mind. I know from the fact both me and a brother's friend did (many years apart I may add)
To do it you need to drink about a litre in an hour, which at that age, let's face kids can do but it what about 3rd of their volume in blood as an adult you probauly need to drink 3 litres which you can't do.

And we call 'soda' here in England Fizzy or fizzy drinks,
in the pub might they be called soft drinks and inculde orange juice though

September 20 2007 at 2:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matt

I am born and raised in Mass, and my grandmother and aunt called it Tonic. So it was around in Mass.

September 20 2007 at 8:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matt

I noticed them doing shots of soda at the end of last night's premier episode. I was shocked. Did they really need to give the kids shot glasses in their Saloon?

Bob, since you are from Boston I take it you have been to Bukowski's then? Good times! No Root Beer shots there!

September 20 2007 at 8:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Luke

Its all rather odd to me. I wasn't going to even watch the show but got caught up in it anyway.

I have no idea why 12, 13, 14 year olds would be gettting hyped up over Orange pop and Rootbeer like that. Too many R and PG13 movies maybe. I've never drank Pop/Soda like that before...

I am going to keep watching the show just to see what kind of crap these kids end up doing.

September 20 2007 at 12:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jenjifer

Dude, where did you hang out? I've lived in the Boston area forever and have never once heard anyone refer to soda as "tonic" unless they were being sarcastic.

September 19 2007 at 9:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jacob Geiser

Wow, this is just horrible, yet really funny at the same time. Kids running a town? Thats just wrong.

So, as I try to not switch back to it, I want to, because its just so... wierd, ya know?

Back to you is great tho.

September 19 2007 at 8:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JustMe

You could not pay me to watch this show. I'm happily avoiding this series, as I'm not crazy about the whole premise and how filming was achieved.

Hopefully it'll tank in the ratings after the first week, and will be replaced by something more worth while.

September 19 2007 at 6:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Re-becca

Dude. That was weird. Who chugs rootbeer like that?

September 19 2007 at 5:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
matt

you called it "tonic" because people in Massachusetts (don't know about surrounding states for sure) called soda "tonic" some places call it "pop" some places call it "soda pop" some places call it "soda". When i moved to Massachusetts I thought that calling it "tonic" was soooo wrong.

September 19 2007 at 5:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brooks Williams

Oh yeah, these kids sure do look like the literary geniuses their online pages made them appear to be.

But they sure do know how to toss a few bombs, something I never knew back when I was their age.

September 19 2007 at 5:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply