September 1, 2014

Quentin Tarantino turns down Heroes gig

by Brett Love, posted Sep 19th 2007 10:04AM

Quentin TarantinoYou could probably make a decent argument that Quentin Tarantino had some indirect influence in the decision to bring in different film directors for the Heroes: Origins spinoff. His stints on CSI and ER were both received well, and generated a lot of press for the shows. Yet, while he may have had some influence, it appears he wants nothing to do with the show.

There is a quote from Tarantino making its way around the internet that has him telling The Sun, "They were trying to get me to do one. I haven't even seen the f***ing show. What the f*** is Heroes?" Ah tact, thy name is Quentin. This from a guy that counts directing Jimmy Kimmel Live among his credits.

Reading that, I can't help but think of a fun experiment for Quentin to try out. Walk out on the street today and ask random strangers, "What is Heroes?" And then follow it up with, "What is Death Proof?" It's all well and good to not be into the show, but somebody is going to get hurt with all of this broken glass everywhere.

[via Cinematical]

Truth

Well I'm not trying in anyway to force my opinion on anyone. Frankly I can't. None of us can.
I do agree that if QT really did say what "The Sun" said he did then it is a really Swell Headed thing for him to say as it implies that it is so bad that is utterly beneath him. I don't think a man who directed Kill Bill and then had the Steels balls or utterly Idiocratic sense of false success to make a part two, should be the one to piss on anothers work (this is not about the numbers to me: If the world thinks its cool doesn't mean I have to.) If he doesn't like it then he could just say that it's not his style or not in his taste just the same way that I just impliedsaid that I didn't like Kill Bill.
In short, If the quote is true, He's entitled to his opinion as we all are but do it with some respect man. At least in public.

October 01 2007 at 11:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lg

I wish I could truthfully ask "what the F**k is Heroes"... I'd probably be better off for it.

I'm sorry, but Lost clone # 372 is nothing more than Lost is: A prime time Soap. The characters spend 90-99% of every episode being Emo about one thing or the other, while advancing the main plot by a snail pace with each installment. The subplots are almost all dealing with Emo crap.

As a fan of the "real" Hero comics, this show embarrasses me, because it's the mainstreaming equivalent of what the 60's batman show did to Batman. It made him LAME for about 30 years. I'm sorry, but as far as I'm concerned, the title of the show is an inside joke for the writers of the damn thing, as it seems to me that they are trying to say that every comic book plot is an Emo Fest. It's like watching Matrix Reloaded vs. the original Matrix.

QT hits closer to the mark of the comics with his work even when he's not trying to. Yeah, he does some disgusting stuff that gets him some heat from posers all the time, but anyone who knows comic books can tell you which bit of film does the genre more justice.

So yeah, I think he's being completely sarcastic and crass about Heroes, because he sees the show for what it is... a collection of classic comic book plots scrambled into a soapy mess and spoonfed to the "lost" TV generation. More power to QT.

September 25 2007 at 1:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
xvertigenx

Ok one more! Scott Schrantz: "Then I grew up." ... to watch cheerleader superheroes! :D

Ok, I'll stop, this is too easy...

September 21 2007 at 10:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
xvertigenx

@nobash:

I wouldn't have said anything if you didn't throw this in the bottom of your post - "I'd say 99 out of 100 people on the street have never heard of it... unlike Heros."

Regardless, I don't think this is really a debate about what is better, Heroes or Grindhouse, nor is it *really* a debate on QT's comments... but more so about Brett's slanted rebuttal of his *possible* comments.

I'm finished with this thread. Gonna go watch me some Death Proof DVD. Ha!

September 21 2007 at 10:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott Schrantz

As a Heroes fan, I'm actually really happy to hear this. I don't think Quentin has anything to bring to the show, and I'd really rather him stay away from it. There's this whole trend happening of "celebrity" directors on TV shows, and it only works if you get the right director on the right show. And Quentin Tarantino? Not right for any show. Maybe something on the CW. I mean, I liked Pulp Fiction. When I was in college. Then I grew up.

September 21 2007 at 12:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nobash

DXR, I couldn't give two turds about popular opinion. When I got drawn into the story of Hiro Nakamura and the other characters on "Heros", I didn't know if it was popular. It was cleverly written and well-made.

"Popular opinion" made GRINDHOUSE into a bomb instead of the cult classic it could've been, and on this board, "popular opinion" seems to be that Tarantino's farts smell like pretty flowers.

You didn't like Heros, and I did. Both opinions are viable.

September 21 2007 at 9:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
xvertigenx

Once again... nobash, your point about popular opinion is? Who cares what the general public finds more popular?

I'm not Bash, and I would say I am a pretty open-minded TV watcher. I enjoy all types of shows and have watched Heroes on more than one occasion and my conclusion is it is really not that good. An interesting idea, yes. But more or less a super-hero serial for the masses. Ho-hum...

September 20 2007 at 9:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nobash

The point of the post, it seems, was to point out that Tarantino was once thought of as the one director alive who had his finger on the pulse of what's hot. Now he's become a self-caricature with stuff like Death Proof.

Bash, have you watched Heros? I mean actually watched it, not turned it on for five minutes and changed the channel to Adult Swim when you heard the word "cheerleader". It's a brilliantly written show that deserves its popularity, believe it or not.

Death Proof, on the other hand, was crap, and died quickly at the box office. I'd say 99 out of 100 people on the street have never heard of it... unlike Heros.

September 20 2007 at 5:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
turch

Check out the big brain on Bret!

September 20 2007 at 4:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Juan

Perhaps, Tarantino simply doesn't watch or care for the show?

What exactly does that have to do with Deathproof anyway?

Ask some random strangers "What is Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader?" And then follow it up with, "What is Jules and Jim?". More than likely, the former will be recognized more often than the latter.

It's a completely irrelevant point. There is no good reason why anyone should hold a television show in high regard because of it's popularity.

September 20 2007 at 4:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply