September 2, 2014

Star Trek: TNG complete set coming in October

by Bob Sassone, posted Sep 20th 2007 3:03PM

ST:TNG dvds

It's becoming clear that if you plan on buying every season of a TV show, at least the more popular ones, you might want to wait a couple of years (if you can wait, that is). They're coming out with more and more "complete sets" and if you buy the sets individually you're probably paying more (and missing out on some extras, though that's not always the case).

Here's another one. CBS/Paramount will release a complete set for Star Trek: The Next Generation on October 2, to celebrate the show's 20th anniversary.

The set will include all 176 episodes plus a ridiculous amount of extras: a new feature titled "TNG's Impact: 20 Years Later," "Legacy: 2007," a feature on the visual effects used on the show, making-of featurettes, cast and crew profiles, behind the scenes info on the production of certain episodes, movie trailers, even a poster, all encased in special collector's packaging.

OK, CBS/Paramount, you had me at hello.

rick cokely

I thought Wil was great. I was about the same age as him when the show came on (I think he's a few years older) and it was nice to see someone I could relate to. I was an akward tween type that was interested in science and math, so Wesley was kinda like the only person I could easily relate to. I think the character got a bad rep cos of the poofy sweaters, not because of Wil's acting.

September 24 2007 at 10:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
brian.stuart

Sounds like someone is jealous that they don't have an action figure based on them while Wil Wheaton just saw his third released. Don't worry. I'm sure when McFarlane makes a series of bitter internet commenters, you'll be immortalized in plastic, too.

Honestly, you'd think Star Trek fans might have listened to Shatner's "Has Been" and gotten the point.

September 22 2007 at 11:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DiRT

Nope. "Saved" it. Because Wil Wheaton is terrible.

September 22 2007 at 3:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DiRT

I think he meant: "Why couldn't they get someone talented who isn't a train wreck in front of a camera to do the special features?" I mean, really... getting Wil off of TNG saved the show.

September 22 2007 at 3:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
iamhoff

Umm, they did. Wil "Ensign Crusher" Wheaton writes for TV Squad and starred in the show.

September 21 2007 at 2:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
4ham

theConundrumm I must have missed something because I know you're not talking about Wil Wheaton.

September 21 2007 at 1:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
theConundrumm

no offence, but why get a tvsquad person to shoot documentaries for the dvd set, surely some of the actors that were in the show still have valid opinions, ideas and memories, yes?

September 21 2007 at 12:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
brian.stuart

No, $305 IS bad. Its outpriced for the market. The fact that Paramount started out pushing these sets for twice that still doesn't justify it. I can 6.5 seasons of Buffy for only $164, and it was much less on sale when it first came out. 5 seasons of Angel are available for less than $100. I just got Heroes, a new single season for less than $35, far less than I'd still be paying per season for TNG. Forget about Voyager which remains insanely priced at over $600 for the complete series. With a new movie coming out, Paramount should be trying to expand the audience by giving casual fans a reason to buy their series sets. Instead, they insist on maintaining an absurd and arbitrary price point that makes it hard-core fans only. Very disappointing.

September 21 2007 at 9:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
laura nason

305$ isnt bad really, its not great, but if you consider the cost of buying all seven seasons alone, tis a bargain. By the way Wil, when are you going to do more reviews? I love them! just like i love reading your blog.

September 21 2007 at 8:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Horse N. Buggy

Even though $305 seems like an exorbitant price, it's really not that bad. If I calculate how much I spent buying the Stargate DVD sets one season at a time (most of them at big box retail stores), I hit that $305 mark around season 7.

All-in-all, $305 isn't horrible for the full series with special extras. But it *would* be nice to get a "I know (or, rather, I stalk) Wil Wheaton on the internet" discount. :-)

September 21 2007 at 8:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply