November 26, 2014

Stephen Colbert sued for $65 million - VIDEO

by Bob Sassone, posted Sep 20th 2007 3:41PM

ColbertWe continue to celebrate Lawsuit Week here at TV Squad, and today's is a doozy: a host of Air America's Young Turks is suing Stephen Colbert for stealing one of his jokes and using it on The Colbert Report.

Cenk Uygur claims that Colbert stole his joke comparing various Republicans to Klingons, and there's video to "prove" it (after the jump). Uygur is clearly looking for a way to get on The Colbert Report and debate this with Colbert and is only doing this for publicity really thinks he has a case here. I wonder if Colbert will respond?

Actually, I could have sworn I had heard Republicans compared to Klingons some place else, a year or two ago, but I can't remember where. Does it ring a bell with anyone else?

John

I seem to recall something like this on Bill Maher. Can anyone confirm this?

September 21 2007 at 3:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lindsey

Umm I really think anyone could probobly come up with that joke. I think this whole sueing thing is absolutely retarded. Plus why would Stephen Colbert and his writers want to steal jokes from this guy? come on.

September 21 2007 at 2:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alan

The funny thing is Cenk Uygur stole his name from a Klingon. Who's the thief now?

Quatre Cenk.

September 20 2007 at 7:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
D.L.

He's joking.

until you see court papers, don't take it too seriously.

September 20 2007 at 7:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Zamir

here's the thing you where thinking about

September 20 2007 at 6:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
isayx3

He needs to do his homework. That judge who sued the drycleaner for 65million, lost and even had to pay the other guys legal fees.

September 20 2007 at 6:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
prefect46

Not even close. But, hey, the guy got me to watch his crappy little clip so he wins, and I lose.

September 20 2007 at 5:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gig

65 Mil, that would be the first profit Air America ever made.

September 20 2007 at 5:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gig

Tom Clancy in both Bear and the Dragon and Executive Orders refers to the Chinese as Klingons.

September 20 2007 at 5:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply