November 28, 2014

Bones: The Widow's Son in the Windshield (season premiere)

by Richard Keller, posted Sep 25th 2007 9:01PM

The cast for the third season of Bones

(S03E01) Now that I gave you an early look about this episode, and you had a chance to watch it yourself, let's talk about what happened during the season premiere of Bones.

The main thing is that we are introduced to a serial killer storyline that will probably last throughout the entire season. This isn't your run-of-mill serial killer, though. If it was, then we wouldn't be seeing him or her on this very television show. This killer actually seems to, um, gnaw on some of the bones of his victims a bit after he kills them. That's right, not only is he a serial killer, but a cannibal as well. A perfect fit for Booth, Bones and the other Squints at the Jeffersonian!

The killer has also taken ten different bones from ten different victims and added them to this a silver-plated skeleton. As we all know from science class there are 206 bones in the human body. So, there's a potential of 196 additional victims. Gee, I hope Bones and Booth catch this killer soon.

Not too soon, though, because this mystery has piqued my interest. Not only is the killer snacking on his victims and creating his own personal skeleton, but it all seems to be connected to some sort of clandestine society that's part of the legendary Illuminati. This gives everyone, FBI and Squints included, a chance to participate in this investigation. For Booth and Bones, it's a chance for them to work together after being separated for a few months (due to Dr. Brennan, which we'll talk about in a bit). For Zack, who just returned from Iraq because he didn't work well in a military environment, it lets him sink his teeth back into something he loves to do. And for Jack? Well, you've seen his eyes light up when something smells of a conspiracy.

Oh, speaking of Jack . . . what do you think of his new look? Personally, I think he looks pretty good without a head and face full of bushy hair. The clean shaven (or stubble-shaven) look gives his face a younger feel to it. It also gives him a more professional look. Perhaps this all came about after he came so close to marrying Angela (who is looking just great). Maybe after finding the woman of his dreams he decided to grow up a bit.

Back over to Bones and Booth. After nearly an entire hour we finally found out what was eating at Temperance, to the point that she wouldn't even go out with Seeley on investigations. It wasn't the fact that he arrested her father -- she was sort of appreciative about that at the end of last season. It wasn't the awkwardness she felt when Jack and Angela left her and Booth at the altar -- that didn't seem to phase her at all. No, it was the fact that Booth didn't stop Zack from going to Iraq.

If you look at it a certain way, Zack is like a younger sibling to Temperance. Like any protective older sister, Bones didn't want to see him go off to danger. She threw this back at Booth, saying that it was some sort of alpha-male bonding. Booth countered that, replying that it was really just giving Zack a chance to leave the Jeffersonian Institution nest and explore the world -- just like he gave Bones that chance at the end of the first season.

There was one thing that surprised me about this season premiere: the lack of an ick factor. I'm so used to seeing maggot-infested corpses and bathtubs filled with liquefied bodies that I actually missed it during the hour. The only thing that came close to being creepy was Bones and Booth's interrogation of a suspect they thought was the killer. He wasn't, but he did join in a meal with the actual serial killer. His description of how everything tasted and the feeling of baby to his lips was a bit oogy.

I was quite happy with this episode. As I said in my earlier post on this episode there is a felling of stability in this cast now after all of the changes that took place during the second season. Even though there seems to be a bit of tension at the beginning between some of the characters you can still feel everything clicking on the screen. Everyone feels comfortable with one another and there is some very good chemistry between Bones/Booth and Angela/Jack. In addition, Cam is no longer a stranger and is really showing a strong camaraderie to the Squints she manages. I am looking forward to some more storylines involving this serial killer. They can certainly solve other mysteries during the season, especially if it's one involving the Gravedigger, but they need to keep revisiting the serial killer angle in order for us to remember what it's about.

That's it for this week. I'll talk to you in seven days.

What do you think of the serial killer storyline that will run through this season of Bones
I don't like. They should stick to the 'one mystery, one culprit' format they have used20 (5.4%)
I like it. It will give the show another level of excitement than it already has349 (94.6%)

SisterMaryJane

Yes, it was 10 bones from 6 victims, because the pinkie finger (or "distal phalange" in squint-speak) is made up of 4 little bones, all of which came from the violinist. I'm excited about this season, it should be awesome!

September 28 2007 at 5:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Margaret Calvert

I've been watching Bones from the beginning, so must add my thoughts about the new haircuts. I think Jack looks absolutely awful. He was so adorable looking before and now he's someone I wouldn't look at twice. Zach's change has been kind of gradual since he got a new haircut when he became a PhD. This is the third stage of different haircuts. I also liked him in the original shaggy look, but will adjust. It's Jack's new look that is so repelling to me. I, too, am thrilled that Bones is back for another season. It's one of my favorites.

September 28 2007 at 1:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Toby OB

clqbutterfly,

Here's his obit:

September 28 2007 at 11:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Edgeoforever

A season long arc - always good!
I hate Jack's lack of hair - Zack's too. Jack at least had some funny lines - Zack is still underprivileged. I hope something interesting comes out his new experiences.
The finding of Angela's ex subplot is - meh - who cares?
B&B - the reason I watch this really (one "B" more than the other) - excellent as usual and many good moments. Mistery is good too.
more disscussions here

September 28 2007 at 11:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
clgbutterfly

Everyone has made the same comments I have.
The season has started off well. I loved how Booth was acting like an attention starved pupply. That was great! I am so glad Zach is back and yes folks Jack is good looking (like him better with the poofy hair, showed off his eyes), but nothing compares with David B. Happily awaiting a better season.
YET,
My question is who is the guy they dedicated the show to. I know he's connected to the picture of Angela's husband. Was he supposed to play a role and then died suddenly. What's up?

September 27 2007 at 3:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
xbxtv

Jack became so incredibly hot! It's unbelievable...

September 27 2007 at 8:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nattyff

great espisode, these new serial killer sounds creeppy and fun, plus with the gravedigger we already have two very bad guys into the show... just hope that no one dies... that woud suck!

September 26 2007 at 10:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mel

I watched it, but due to a very busy schedule I was on the computer at the same time, so I wasn't able to give it my full attention. I still enjoyed it. That interrogation scene with the cannibal was extremely creepy. I'm not a big fan of either Hodgins' or Zach's new haircuts, but I think I'll get used to them eventually. Booth and Bones were really cute in the ending scene. I enjoyed Hodgin's insecurity when faced with the "god" that was Angela's ex. (Loved her abstract painting too.) The reoccuring storyline of the bone collector looks like it'll be really interesting.

September 26 2007 at 7:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
zkam

Wasn't it 10 bones from 6 victims?

September 26 2007 at 6:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
La-Di-Dah

i was basically peeping on the show all night, but the thing that confused me majorly was the angela/jack storyline. what's up? who are they searching for and why? as you can tell, i am a little behind the loop in the bones world right now.

September 26 2007 at 2:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply