April 23, 2014

Maya Rudolph leaves Saturday Night Live ... um, I mean stays!

by Bob Sassone, posted Sep 25th 2007 3:01PM

Maya RudolphContrary to many, many reports that have been circulating this past week (including one from TV Guide's Michael Ausiello a few days ago), Maya Rudolph has indeed left Saturday Night Live. The news is confirmed by NBC.

This is too bad. Rudolph really grew on me over the years, and I loved many characters she did, including Oprah, Whitney Houston, Donatella, and one half of those Bronx women who host a local cable show. Funny, I always thought that Amy Poehler would be next to leave, following Tina Fey to a career in movies and her own TV show. But Rudolph has been on the show for several seasons and good for her with going on to the next thing in her life.

SNL's season premiere is this Saturday, with guests Lebron James and Kanye West.

Update: Actually, she changed her mind and is now staying.

kevjohn

Sad to say but she may have been the most interesting person on the show. This speaks more about the absolute mediocrity of the cast than to her overwhelming talent. If she's leaving I'll miss her Whitney Houston and her "that's why I'm Oprah!!".

September 27 2007 at 11:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rick cokely

I thought she was great in Idiocracy. I wouldn't say she made the movie for me but I enjoyed her performance. I kept sitting there thinking "Man, where I have I seen her before?!" and I realized she was SNL. I would rather see her move on to movies, I think she has a good career in that.

September 26 2007 at 9:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
corkdraw

I think I'm one of the few SNL viewers who never found her funny. A lot of Rudolph's characters make Molly Shannon (previously the most annoying woman ever on SNL) seem tolarable by comparison. She almost ruined Idiocracy for me with that awful sterotypical black lady voice she was using throughout the movie.

September 25 2007 at 9:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David D

I'm sure it was more about her baby and being bi-coastal with her husband, Paul Thomas Anderson. It must be really tough to balance all that. But I adore Maya, and I'm glad she's still here.

September 25 2007 at 5:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lucyfan62

YAY! She un-quit! Hmmm, maybe it was just a salary ploy. How could she just quit a week before the premiere anyway?! I guess NBC made her an offer she couldn't refuse! Well, I'm glad she's back...at least she is for the moment!

September 25 2007 at 5:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Isabelle Carreau

Here's the link to the EW mention David is talking about:

September 25 2007 at 5:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David D

STOP THE PRESSES!!!

Entertainment Weekly has just reported that no, she's changed her mind and she WILL return after all!

Now if they'd only replace Kenan Thompson...

September 25 2007 at 5:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Isabelle Carreau

Ausiello just posted (again) and it looks like she is not leaving the show after all:

September 25 2007 at 5:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gig

LaLaLaLaLa...LaLaLaLaLa... LaLaLaLaLa LaLaLaLa

She will be missed on the show. There hasn't been that much good on it the last few years.

September 25 2007 at 4:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply