April 16, 2014

Eureka: All That Glitters

by Will O'Brien, posted Sep 26th 2007 9:41AM
Beverly appears in an orange jump suit and a bagged head direct from GITMO
(S02E12) Leading up to the season finale of a science fiction show can be tough. Eureka's spent so much time dropping hints that they managed to pull off a decent episode and give a nice intro to the upcoming season finale. Things are anything but quiet. Beverly's back, Henry's cheesed off and Zoe wants to have a sleep over.

Just like Eureka, things at my house don't always go as planned. During my normal review time, we lost power for a few hours. I'll make an effort to cover everything important, but if I get a bit terse - well, it's waaay past my bedtime.

Alchemy is yet another classic topic that just doesn't get much coverage in tv or movies. I really liked the approach to this challenging facet of Science Fiction lore. I'm afraid that they under-used Michael Shanks in his role. He did a great job, I just noticed his biceps more than his acting!

Zoe tends to be peripheral to the plot, using the statue to tie her and Lucas into the Alchemy line was a nice bit of writing. I did wonder a bit about Jack's concern for the party - he does have the uber smart house after all. SARAH could easily call up Jack whenever anyone gets a bit too touchy feely. Knowing that your dad might show up on a video wall at any moment would probably keep the kids behaving!

Even better than the Alchemy plot was the fruition of all the hints as the season progressed towards the finale. Beverly ended up in GITMO, Kevin is showing signs of mutating like the departed Doctor (Who, by the way, ended his own life with the artifact.)

I'm surprised that we didn't see any more hints about Jack's memory returning. It seemed to take up quite a bit early on, but maybe they're waiting to trot that bit of information out during next weeks episode. I was definitely surprised by Henry's actions. Considering how angry he's been, I couldn't believe that he listened to Beverly. The plan to get Kevin seemed a bit over the top. If you're out to get your hands on the latest enhanced human, wouldn't you ambush him at home or in transit rather than inside the most secure facility in the country?

I think they left out some details when Henry and Beverly invaded Allison's office. I had to review it a couple of times. Henry says that the bacteria mutated again - but I got the impression that it was a hoax to get the evacuation procedures primed. I'm not clear just why the super evacuation procedure was activated on Allison's office. Was it real or not?

The finale will hopefully shed some serious light on things next week. If you missed any of the season, SciFi is running the full second season of Eureka all day until the finale airs.

Will Kevin mysteriously vanish in the final episode?
The preview hinted at it26 (18.2%)
Nah, Jack will save him74 (51.7%)
Beverly's got an extra sneaky plan to pull it off43 (30.1%)

Katherine

Amen to the bicep distraction factor! I had to re-watch some parts of the episode because I wasn't paying much attention to the dialogue.
Not that that's a complaint, mind you...

September 29 2007 at 11:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan Chichian

TNT has some pretty obnoxious tag action. Whenever they are hyping a show they run a banner across the bottom, luckily it does not have sound. Bravo and USA do the same thing (I think they are all the same corporation).

ral and Karen - SciFi is running a marathon before the finale so this episode should run at 8pm (on the East Coast). I was zoning out by the end so I could not give you a very good recap of the last few minutes beyond what Will did.

September 27 2007 at 11:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hank

I am getting sick of watermarks and bugs. Especially ads.
I get an on-demand channel called 'Lifeskool' on my system. Their logo actually takes up 1/2 of the bottom of the screen (lengthwise) and blocks the captions on some programs.

Noggin is not much better. Nothing better than their giant logo covering up whatever item Dora is trying to point out to the toddlers.

But at least it's not TBS, with their even more annoying sound-enhanced ad bugs.

September 27 2007 at 10:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Discosis

I agree with Tricia - this episode, along with the last new episode of Kyle XY a couple of weeks ago - featured the most obnoxious watermark EVER.

September 27 2007 at 8:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeremy

I really like Eureka. Definitely my favorite summer show. But am I the only one who just sorta doesn't care about the mythology of the show? I feel the same about Burn Notice. It's a very good and entertaining A-team clone. But the mythology part threatens to ruin it. (Remember when the a-team got caught and went to trial, or how bogged down the x-files became? Break out the shark net)
That said, there is plenty to unite the shows without thsi overarching artifact story.
And worst of all is that I am making this comment a day too late and nobody will ever read it. (Stupid tivo and your time-shifting capabilities)

September 27 2007 at 8:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
heyroll

I'm with Karen...lost the ending due to 4 minutes of Flash Gordon. Please tell us what happens after they find the skeleton?

September 27 2007 at 1:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan Chichian

I was disappointed with this episode. Why would Henry trust Beverly?

September 26 2007 at 3:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sue

I agree that Michael Shanks was so under used in this eps; I mean heck they arrest him and thats it other then couple of scenes he showed up in. I wanted to have a confrontation with Stark; more then we got and then also go to him to save the town and not to Kevin who seems to come up with the stuff.

Nice to see Beverly back though that was intresting to see.

September 26 2007 at 3:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RR

Eureka started out great last season, and continued quite well at the beginning of this season. I like the continuing thread about the kid and his having interfaced with the artifact. What's annoying though, is the formulaic episode structure. Every single week there's a massive outbreak of something or other that threatens the whole town and looks hopeless. It always turns out to be the fault of the newly introduced character, and the solution is always found with 5 minutes of the show left. Then magically the problem is resolved and everything manages to return to how it was, and the new character disappears naturally.

Getting boring and repetetive Eureka. must try harder.

September 26 2007 at 2:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

I DVR'd the 12:30 AM show (so as to be able to DVR "House" and "Reaper") and the timing was all verkakte. The first 4 minutes were the end of "Flash Gordon" (gack) and "Eureka" ended just as Henry was pulling the skeleton out of the drawer to show Carter. What happened next?

September 26 2007 at 2:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply