October 22, 2014

Are you ready for the return of ... Knight Rider?

by Bob Sassone, posted Sep 27th 2007 3:05PM

Knight Rider opening

I know, I know, you're thinking, "how the hell can NBC think of bringing back a show like Knight Rider?" But people were saying the same thing when they announced a new Bionic Woman and look what happened.

It's true: NBC has given the OK for a TV movie pilot (we don't see much of those on TV these days) for a new, updated Knight Rider, to be directed (possibly) by Doug Liman (Swingers, The Bourne Identity, Mr. and Mrs. Smith). Hopefully this updated version means that the car isn't going to talk but will have other, more impressive capabilities to fight crime. We can also assume that David Hasselhoff will not be asked to reprise his role as Michael Knight, though I bet we see a wink-wink cameo at some point.

The pilot movie will be written by Dave Andron, who also did Raines, the quirky NBC drama from last season that starred Jeff Goldblum and lasted about three and a half minutes before it was canceled.

Brent McKee

"Hopefully this updated version means that the car isn't going to talk..."

Come on, that was literally the whole point of the show: the actor (presumably a model or some other "hunk" type with the acting ability of a peanut) would do all the action bits and be given a minimum of lines to say and the car would have all the really important bits of dialog. That was actually the basis of Brandon Tartikoff's original proposal for the show.

September 28 2007 at 6:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rev

I really liked "Team Knight Rider"...

... although I was probably the only person who did.

September 28 2007 at 12:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan

I really liked Knight Rider and was excited when Knight Rider 2000 came out with a chance of becoming a series. I was bummed when it didn't happen. Maybe this time.

Viper was really sweet, too (as far as I can remember).

September 27 2007 at 9:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oreo

Actually I think there is a rumour (hopefully jokeingly) that Buck Rogers will be redone.

September 27 2007 at 6:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
iamhoff

Let's make it 80's Night on NBC. First, at 8 o'clock, the return of Knight Rider. The one where KITT admonishes Michael for getting drunk, falling down, and trying to eat a burger (he can has cheezburger?). And at 9 we've got the premiere of Miami Vice! But instead of serious Vice like the movie, we're back to comedic Vice like Ace Ventura and Bad Boys! Crime fighting hilarity ensues, all set to a South Beach nightclub soundtrack of techno-remixes of popular 80s tunes! But first a word from our sponsor, Ozzy Osbourne for Depends adult diapers!

September 27 2007 at 6:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe

"8. I want Airwolf"

I do too...mixed with a little Blue Thunder :)

What I really would have liked is if the show "Raven" had lasted an entire season...

September 27 2007 at 5:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kel

I want Airwolf

September 27 2007 at 5:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Andrew

I'd rather see them bring back Viper.

September 27 2007 at 4:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
4ham

I actually tuned in to watch every single freaking episode of Raines. I miss that show.

September 27 2007 at 4:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Akbar Fazil

And supposedly the new car is going to be some kind of a transformer. No thank you.

although if they got the Hoff to be Devon I might check it out.

September 27 2007 at 3:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply