October 25, 2014

30 Rock season two -- An early look - VIDEO

by Bob Sassone, posted Sep 28th 2007 10:02AM

30 RockFirst the apology, then the early look.

Dear Tina,

I've always liked 30 Rock, but I've never loved it. Maybe it was because my concentration was on Studio 60 or maybe it was because I wasn't in the right frame of mind when I watched the pilot. Or maybe I just didn't try to get into it because Thursday nights are really jam-packed (would it upset you to tell you that I watch Ugly Betty too?). I just never gave the show a chance to grow on me, though I did enjoy Alec Baldwin's performance as Jack.

But that all changed this past week when I bought the first season DVDs. Tina, I watched every single episode this past weekend (some twice) and I'm convinced it's an instant classic. The writing is so sharp and the cast gels so well together. My opinion of the show went from "like" to "true love" in just two episodes. With you and The Office on Thursday nights, it's "Must See TV" again on NBC.

Oh, and congratulations on the Best Comedy Emmy win!

Bob

Doing an "early look" for a show like 30 Rock is a tricky thing. On one hand you want to reveal enough of the episode to give readers a good idea of what they can expect, but on the other hand you don't want to ruin the jokes and the twists and the sharp turns the episode takes. It's a balancing act, and hopefully I can whet your appetite for the first episode without spoiling all the good stuff. Though if you're nervous about it, walk away now as some of what follows might be a little SPOILERISH.

So the summer hiatus is over and everyone is returning to work. Is Liz still seeing Floyd long distance? Has Jack recovered from his heart attack? And more importantly, what has NBC aired during the summer and how did it do in the ratings? (Here's a hint: MILF Island, a reality show with "25 super hot moms, 50 sweaty eighth grade boys and no rules"). Other developments over the summer include Cerie getting engaged (she asks Liz to be a bridesmaid and says something that is more outrageous and cruel than ditzy and Liz should have punched her). Oh, and Tracy and Kenneth get married (you'll understand when you see the episode).

But the big news for this episode is the return of Jerry Seinfeld to NBC! The episode is called "SeinfeldVision," and it refers to Jack's idea of digitally inserting Seinfeld into all of NBC's shows to increase ratings (NBC should do that as a cross-promotion). He does this without Seinfeld's knowledge, of course (he's off in Europe staying in a country only rich people know about), and when Seinfeld finds out it leads to some truly hysterical scenes involving Jack and Jerry negotiating. Lots of great in jokes about NBC in this episode. Seinfeld still can't act that well, but he's perfect in that Seinfeldian way and it really works. The episode is truly hysterical.

Below is a sneak peak of the new episode (jokes are spoiled, so click at your own risk). I don't get Seinfeld saying this is the only sitcom he's ever guest starred on. What about NewsRadio, Jerry?? The new season premieres next Thursday, October 4 at 8:30pm.

Tracey

Jerry Seinfeld did do a guest spot on NewsRadio (he didn't direct) and it was the main storyline. It actually was one of the less funny episodes in the entire series because he didn't fit in with that cast. NewsRadio was the greatest, I hate how good shows have to do stunt casting. I am now hooked on 30 Rock like I was NewsRadio, I just hope Seinfeld's guest appearance works better for the story this time around.

September 30 2007 at 10:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

Yeah and a big KUDOS to Tina Fey getting her own semi- 30 Rock spinoff AMEX commercial. If you want a brief, thirty second summary of what its like for her on 30 Rock, that new commercial is EPIC! (The writer's room is on fire!!!)

Man, I totally love this show!!! Welcome BACK!!!

September 29 2007 at 8:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Krooie

Cannot wait for 30 Rock to start back up this season!

This is one of the funniest shows on TV in a long time. I even watched the reruns over again--I laughed just as hard as the first time!

I also let out a big yell when they won their Emmy. I was so proud and happy they won! The whole cast really deserved the win.

September 28 2007 at 5:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lucyfan62

I watched from the beginning and gave the show a chance, and enjoyed seeing it as it got funnier and tighter. Two episodes which really made the show for me were "Tracy Does Conan" and "The Rural Juror." Rachel Dratch as the Blue Man was hysterical. I hope to see her popping up more this season! I LOVE THIS SHOW!!!!

September 28 2007 at 1:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
segsig

Wow, 30Rock getting good press, oh you didn't let them shoot themselves in the foot! The recent NYTimes article was the funniest thing about 30Rock, trying to make them look good and they still smelled classless. Considering the premiere week nbc is having they won't be improving on their "dozens" of viewers.

September 28 2007 at 1:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bob Sassone

Jen: no, Seinfeld didn't direct any episodes of NewsRadio that I'm aware of. He guest starred on the "Real Deal" episode where Bill and Lisa try to get him to appear on their radio show. Not sure what IMDB page you're referring to.

September 28 2007 at 1:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jen

Not that IMDB is always correct, but it's showing that Seinfeld guest directed newsradio. It has nothing about him actually starring in it.

September 28 2007 at 12:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
YouFaceTheTick

I look forward to two shows in 2007 - Friday Night Lights and 30 Rock.

September 28 2007 at 12:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
AngryBob

One of the few shows I watch; low watchership shows its quality. as far as the rest: ER - doctors boinking; House - waste of a good actor; shows with precocious kids/teenagers - no thanks; lawyers as heroes programs - what?; Heroes - aren't the kids in bed at that hour?; reality programs - my life is bad enough - phew, glad I got that off my chest - thanks for listening.

September 28 2007 at 11:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C

Love this show. Cannot wait!

September 28 2007 at 10:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply