August 20, 2014

Five spinoffs I would like to see

by Paul Goebel, posted Sep 28th 2007 11:05AM

Niles & DaphneWhen one of our favorite TV shows goes off the air, it always brings sadness. However, many times, the silver lining in the cancellation is the birth of a spinoff. Sometimes it can be a great thing (Lou Grant) and sometimes the results can be less than ideal (Joey).

Here are some spinoff ideas that I would love to see.

Niles & Daphne
After Frasier leaves Seattle, Niles and Daphne are forced to take in Martin and Eddie. Daphne has to deal with Martin's new and more protective physical therapist (Patti Labelle). To make things worse, Maris moves in next door with her new husband (Jeff Goldblum).

Walter F. Skinner FBI
After his failure to control Mulder and keep a lid on the X Files, Skinner is demoted to special agent and has to return to the field. While struggling to prove himself and regain his Director status, he also has to deal with a new partner (Michael Cera) fresh from Quantico. That's a show I would pay to download.

The Kramer Show
Cosmo Kramer finally moves to LA to try to be an actor. At night he starts doing stand up comedy with disastrous results. It's funny cause it's true!

The Adventures of Ruben Kincaid
The series takes place before Ruben met the Partridges. The swingingest bachelor of the 70's handles a variety of clients. Everyone from a brother/sister juggling team (Andy Richter, Nicole Sullivan) to an aging singer/impressionist (Jerry Stiller).

Zuckercorn & Loblaw & the Law
Barry Zuckercorn and Bob Loblaw, the former attorneys for the Bluth family team up and open a firm together. Watch them struggle to run a profitable firm with a collection of wacky clients and even wackier paralegals. Allyce Beasley reprises her role as Agnes Dipesto the receptionist who nobody remembers hiring.

reichsfuhrermrj

Your idea for the Frasier spinoff would have been PERFECT!

July 12 2011 at 1:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

Always wanted to see Skinner more often in The X-Files. As for the other pitches, the Arrested Development spin could be a winner but I'll pass on the others.

October 09 2007 at 3:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dwacon_com

An HBO spinoff where Scully is assigned to pose as one of the prostitutes at the Bunny Ranch and decides to quit the FBI and be naked 24/7.

Okay, maybe not...

October 08 2007 at 11:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Franklin

On the animation side, I wish Matt Groening would consider doing a spin-off of Futurama -- which would star Zapp Branagan and center on him and his ship's crew and their (mis)adventures. Besides Star Trek, such a series could parody the Stargate franchise and Battlestar Galactica.

September 29 2007 at 6:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan

I love the Oz and Roz (hey put them together!) spin-off ideas. Sigh. If dreams were reality...

September 29 2007 at 3:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jennie

I so love the "Niles and Daphne" idea; this should have been done immediately. And I so agree that when Rob left "The West Wing", he should have had the same job with the same name...in fact, I sorta thought that's what they were setting up. It would still be running, and would probably have outdone "West Wing". Thank you.

Jennie

September 29 2007 at 12:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
josh

I always thought that a Jackie Chiles spinoff from Seinfeld would have been awesome.

September 28 2007 at 3:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
siv_art

I like the "Arrested" snpin-off, a lot! It'd be funny and smary and wacky. It'd never sell.

I wouldnt' mind seeing Skinner in an FBI show, but it wouldn't have the charm of the X-Files.

Also, I second the idea of ROZ being a better show than Niles and Daphne, though I didn't watch a whole lot of Frasier.

My choice? ooh, that's tough. Jayne from "Firefly" could support a show, I think. Like "Dog the bountyhunter" in space.

They should remake "Automan." Anyone? Automan?

September 28 2007 at 2:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tom

The moms from Half and Half. I don't know what the plot would be but they have great comedic chemistry together.

September 28 2007 at 2:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Victor

The show that would rule them all:

Agent Dale Cooper: FBI

But make it where he investigates all sorts of weird crap.

September 28 2007 at 1:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply