July 23, 2014

Moonlight: No Such Thing as Vampires (series premiere)

by Richard Keller, posted Sep 28th 2007 10:30PM

Alex O'Loughlin and Sophia Myles from the new CBS series Moonlight(S01E01) Los Angeles and Toronto -- two cities that I will probably never end up moving into or near. Why? Because of the dense population of vampires that make those cities their home. I could understand Toronto: it's cold and gloomy in the winter and you can transverse the city through a myriad of underground passageways. But, Los Angeles? The place is sunny for most of the year. Why the hell would a vampire want to move there? Frankly I would think Seattle would be a better city to live in, or one of those towns up in Northern Alaska. I mean, those places don't see the sun for months at a time. What a perfect location for a vampire to live!

Now that I got that out of my system let's talk about the first episode of the new CBS supernatural drama Moonlight. If you read my early look of this show you could see that I wasn't really enamored with the program. Besides the fact that the acting was sub-par and the featured crime was something you would see on any standard criminal procedural, the whole thing just left me empty.

Maybe because this 'good vampire protects humans' thing has been done before, and done better. Angel and Forever Knight are probably the two shows that others will be measured against for the near future. That means any new show will have to try something different in order to get the audience. Unfortunately, Moonlight doesn't have that 'something different'.

It's actually a very plain show with good-looking actors. There's nothing unique about vampire Mick St. John, played by The Shield's Alex O'Loughlin. Oh, he's got that low, grumbling voice thing down, and he looks cool in sunglasses, but that's about it. He just doesn't seem that personable, even amongst his vampire friends. Beth Turner, played by Sophia Myles, is supposed to be a hot-shot reporter but it seems unbelievable. Maybe I'm not that Internet savvy, but it seems to me that a career as a reporter for a news website wouldn't give you so much clout with the police in order to try to find out what happened to a murder victim.

Wait, I'm a 'reporter' for a 'news website' and I have some clout. Um, strike the last two sentences or so.

The only character that seems to have something to him is Josef, played by former Veronica Mars star Jason Dohring. Josef seems to be the head vampire in this little Los Angeles society due to his enormous wealth. He's also not shy about nibbling on a beautiful girl's arm for some fresh red corpuscles. Josef as a character should probably have a bit more screen time. Yet, in this first episode, he's on the screen once at the beginning and once towards the end. This has probably angered a good portion of the VM fans who came over to see Dohring in this role.

There is one thing that I liked about this first episode of Moonlight: Mick St. John can walk outside in the daytime. Well, to be more specific, he can walk outside in the daytime as long as there's shade nearby. Otherwise, he gets a little toasty, and I mean literally. This does give him a bit more flexibility than someone like Angel when it comes to investigating a crime and may help him in later episodes (if there are any later episodes).

Look, here's the thing: I could be totally, utterly wrong about Moonlight. This show may be on 10 years, generate two successful spinoffs, win several Emmy awards, and become the darling of Friday nights. Then again, if the show doesn't make some strides between this sub-par first episode and the next episode, we may be watching this on CBS' video website in the not too distant future. We'll see what happens next week.

regena

ok, I really think that you're all stupid. I can't wait till the next episode. I mean common you have to admit that the characters are hot and those of you that don't like it I bet you hardly even gave it a chance. Just because it's not "origional," but those of you that like shows like Angel, but can't stand this show I only have one question for you was that really original? No it wasen't because if any of you losers happen to read books that's exactly where it came from and in case you haven't figured it out yet Moonlight dosen't suck and I bet the actors in it can do better than most of you ever could and I would know because I've been taking acting/drama classes for years and this has got to be one of the better vampire shows.
Rock on, Moonlight!

November 09 2007 at 12:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bernie

I don't know why everything on TV has to geared to
youthful idiots. Don't they have any imagination. I loved
Moonlight. And Alex. I think it was very entertaining.
Sorry for all you other watchers that there isn't any T & B's. How about giving some adults a chance. Half the
time I don't even turn the TV on for all the sitcoms. This
is a winner in my book. Haven't missed an episode, even
when I was on vacation in the Bahamas.

November 07 2007 at 2:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nece042007

I disagree with everyone about the new show Moonlight. I have been a vampire fan for over 30 years and I think Mick St. John is the sexiest vampire I have even seen. I think the acting is surperb and Alex O'Loughlin's smile is to die for. He is my kind of man and vampire.

October 27 2007 at 12:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cori260

The pilot....not the best ever - but neither was it the worst ever. And I, for one , liked how it ended. It set up the existing relationship between Mick and Beth - nicely.

I think this last ep (#4) is the best so far - except for campy moments with the motel. But better writing, and good tension in it.

Give the show a chance. Ppl can be hooked on desperate housewives, umpteen csi's, and yet complain about uninspired scripts after only 4 eps? please!

I an the biggest buffyverse fan and i detested Angel for the most part...especially early eps. It's only saving grace for me was Doyle. But this show found it's footing and held on.

Moonlight can too...given a chance!

October 21 2007 at 2:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Amanda Kunkle

Sorry, but I like the show. Mick is good looking and finally a show that I can watch. I love the whole vampire genre and I was tired of all the other crap on tv.

And, yeah I could name a few American actors/actresses that shouldn't even make movies and shows anymore *cough Lindsey/Paris* so the whole rant about Brits and Aussie was unfounded.

And, I look forward to much more of this show to the dismay of the rest of damn world I guess. Oh well. I like being on the outside.

October 17 2007 at 10:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bonnylea

I have a unique perspective on this show.
I previewed Moonlight back in May when it was Twilight.

I am glad I saw it then, because I can appreciate how much it has improved- the writing and special effects are less campy, the lead actress is so much more warm and likable and the best friend, Josef, nearly stole the show he was so fun to watch. I HATED the old dialogue between Mick and his "source" because the guy was laying on the accent WAY too much, but this new guy and lines were right on.

I have to agree that the special effects were still lacking. It was hard for me to ignore the background as Beth and Mick were driving to the warehouse to find Julia... but hopefully, if CBS gives this show a chance (and eventually a slightly bigger budget) this could turn into a great success.

I enjoy the vampire genre, including Angel and Buffy and Forever Knight. Highlander, Dresden Files and Beauty and the Beast could all be compared to Moonlight. I hope, though, that people will give this show a chance to find its feet before slamming it for being too much like or not enough like the shows before it.

I see potential here, and I'm going to keep watching.

October 07 2007 at 9:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mjp79

I was able to catch a part of Moonlight. What I saw was decent, not great mind you, but decent. For those who want a great vampire show, IMHO, catch Blood Ties on Lifetime. Blood Ties has the great cast, acting, writing and chemistry.

October 01 2007 at 11:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
laura nason

I gave it a chance, and it was awful. I have seen it all before, with much better writing and actors and plotline. It wont last, and if it does? its because the old Angel crowd is desperate for something to latch onto

October 01 2007 at 8:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeremy Tucker

I tuned in with really, really low expectations, and Moonlight somehow did not even meet them. Not by a long shot. For all its bad clichéd writing and even worse casting, this would be more fit as a bad movie that I wouldn't even watch on basic cable.

OTOH, Jason Dohring was great and deserves much more than this crap.

October 01 2007 at 12:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RedheadFangirl

Like many of you, I tuned in only to get my Jason Dohring fix. His character did not have much screen time, but he made the most of shallow writing. Except when the girl fainted in bliss when he sucked on her arm, his scenes were good.

Also glad to see Kevin Weisman, but his part was so small.

The two leads are just attractive, but the charisma or connection was lacking. I read a magazine the whole show. I didn't like the lead guy on The Shield, and he didn't prove much more to me here. The lead girl looked like a very blonde Kate Winslet, sans the acting chops.

The main story of the professor and his cult of blood wannabees was not very original.

The moonlight will be eclipsed soon I suspect.

September 30 2007 at 3:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply