December 18, 2014

South Park creators bringing new series to Comedy Central

by Brad Trechak, posted Sep 28th 2007 12:01PM

Matt Stone and Trey ParkerAccording to an Associated Press story, Trey Parker and Matt Stone (a.k.a. the creators of South Park) are producing a new series for Comedy Central called Kenny vs. Spenny.

The premise is that of two friends, Kenny Hotz and Spencer Rice, who are fiercely competitive with each other and engage each other in performing in stupid competitions (such as who could sell more Bibles) for bragging rights. Parker and Stone are not actually the creators but are rather importing the series from Canada. Comedy Central would finance 10 new episodes as well as show 10 of the originals.

At first glance, the premise is very much in the style of Parker and Stone. However I'm wondering if watching these two guys engage in juvenile competition with each other every episode would get redundant after a while. However as evidenced by South Park itself, there is no limit to Parker and Stone's (well, mostly Parker's) creativity and originality. If anybody could make this work, they could.

Mind you, I'm still waiting for Season 2 of That's My Bush. I suspect it's going to be a long wait.

John

This show was on GSN and it was horrible.

October 01 2007 at 8:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vito

And seriously, Brad, if you haven't seen this show, you really really should. DVD is available and fantastic.

September 28 2007 at 3:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vito

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I knew that they were fans and that Kenny had been writing some for the show, but I didn't figure Comedy Central would actually pick up the show. PERFECT fit, and it will catch on hugely with their demographic. Plus I can actually watch the show on TV instead of clinging to my DVDs. Only loser in this deal is poor, poor Spenny.

September 28 2007 at 3:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cody

@tbville: You're talking about Ed vs. Spencer. The problem with that one is that both guys are alpha, unlike the alpha(Kenny) vs beta(Spenny) dynamic in KvS.

September 28 2007 at 12:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cody

Kenny vs. Spenny is one of the best TV shows ever created. I have seasons 1 and 2 on DVD and will get the season 3 DVD when it is released in November. If you want to sit down and laugh yourself nuts, then buy or rent the first season, invite over a bunch of friends, and watch it.

September 28 2007 at 12:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tbville

yeah this was on GSN for a year then they ended it. There is also a similar show done for BBC, same format different guys but it still works.

I would love to see this back on american tv.

September 28 2007 at 12:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Patrick R

Yeah, this has been airing in Canada for several seasons now: first on CBC, then Showcase. It is very funny, but I think it's success has been highly dependent on the personalities of its stars, Kenny and Spenny. Using the same premise with different people might not be a sure win. I do like Parker and Stone though, so there may be hope yet.

September 28 2007 at 12:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kyler

My wife and I got addicted to this show when it was on the gameshow network. Spenny is anal. Kenny is evil and does his best to drive Spenny to the brink of sanity. Great TV and I for one have missed it. Give it a watch.

September 28 2007 at 12:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply