October 23, 2014

Star Trek movie casting rumors

by Brad Trechak, posted Sep 29th 2007 9:01AM

Star Trek movie logoAccording to industry speculation found on IESB, J.J. Abrams is set to cast 28-year-old Pennsylvania native Mike Vogel (who has appeared in such movies as Poseidon and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake) as Captain James T. Kirk in the upcoming Star Trek movie, a role made famous by William Shatner on the TV series from 1966 to 1969. Vogel also appears in J.J. Abrams upcoming untitled Cloverleaf project.

If Vogel joins the cast, he would be alongside Zachary "Sylar" Quinto as young Mr. Spock, Leonard Nimoy reprising the role that he made famous as the older Mr. Spock, Zoe Saldana as Uhura originally played by Nichelle Nichols and Anton Yelchin as Pavel Chekov originally played by Walter Koenig.

I'm not surprised that Abrams is going for someone who is fundamentally an unknown. Obviously the director has worked with the actor before and is comfortable with him. This is the sort of role that doesn't require a big-name actor in it. The franchise itself is known well-enough to draw people in.

Of course, the real question would be not if Mike Vogel could act, but could he act like Shatner?

jason

It's Dean from 'Grounded for Life.'

October 01 2007 at 8:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe in LA

He looks much more like the original Enterprise captain, Christopher Pike (Jeffrey Hunter), no?

September 29 2007 at 6:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jordan Running

Thanks, BStu. I thought the kid looked kind of like a douche until I saw your 'shop. Okay, he still looks kind of douchey, but in an appropriately Kirkesque way. Now, if the kid can act, we might have a winner on our hands.

...but I still would have liked to see Matt Damon give it a shot.

September 29 2007 at 2:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Porchland

He looks like Matt Damon.

September 29 2007 at 1:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cincinnati Mike

BStu--SOMEBODY has to be "That Guy!" Not a bad likeness. I would think, though, that the harder part for the actor (and Abrams) will be trying to decide if he is going to emulate Shatner's delivery. Particularly if Shat somehow ends up with a cameo. We mock Bill's halting "style," but it is so ingrained in the character!

September 29 2007 at 11:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
brian.stuart

I hate being "that guy", but I felt compelled to make a Photoshop mock-up of Vogel as Kirk. I started out completely not buying his look, but ended up actually liking it.

I trust Abrams on his acting abilities given that he's worked with him and I generally like his casting so far. I will say that I hope the McCoy isn't yet another 20-something. I can buy everyone else, but McCoy better be older is all I'm saying.

September 29 2007 at 10:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply