October 25, 2014

Family Guy: Movin' Out (Brian's Song)

by Brad Trechak, posted Sep 30th 2007 10:40PM

Family Guy logo(S06E02) This is the 100th episode of Family Guy (if the three edited-for-TV episodes of Stewie Griffin: the Untold Story are counted). Not bad for a show that was canceled for a few years.

The plot involves Brian moving in with his vapid sometimes-girlfriend Jillian (voiced by Drew Barrymore). Stewie then joins them to help with the rent. Meanwhile, Meg gets a job at a convenience store and helps Chris get a job there which leads to bad repercussions.

I really enjoyed the season premiere Star Wars parody and was curious about what could be done as a follow-up. It was a fairly pedestrian episode with a few cute gags. Sadly, my VCR didn't record this show properly so I have to write this based on what I remember of my initial viewing.

I guess Seth McFarlene took the South Park commentary to heart as much of the content of the first part of the episode seemed more plot-related with fewer cut-away gags. However this seems to have been replaced by pop culture conversations between the characters, such as the discussion between the manager of the store and Chris involving the work of Jennifer Connelly and Elisabeth Shue and the conversation between Lois and Brian about the plot of Iron Eagle.

Meg actually gets a shot of self-confidence this episode, but it is short-lived when Chris ends up getting closer to the convenience store manager than Meg. However, at the end and in a rare display of affection for Meg, Chris threatens to not talk about obscure movies with the manager unless Meg is rehired. I think Meg's mistreatment by the other family members is going to be more in the spotlight in forthcoming episodes.

The gay angle was once again played up for Stewie, but surprisingly at one point his amorous attention was directed towards Brian. Even my hackles are raised at the thought of a gay baby hitting on a dog (albeit an anthropomorphic one). I admit I haven't watched every episode, but has this been done before? I wonder if it's going to be some sort of continued plotline or if it was a one-off joke.

Highlights of the episode for me included Peter's Donald Duck costume and their description of the Lifetime Channel.

What did you think of this episode of Family Guy?
Loved it.196 (37.0%)
Liked it.189 (35.7%)
Hated it.51 (9.6%)
Liked some parts. Hated others.94 (17.7%)

Jordan

Yeah, I saw that Simpsons scene on Global in Canada, too.

I found it disgusting, disturbing, and completely unfunny. I can't imagine "why" a scene like that is humourous or even remotely funny. The mowing down of an entire family with slow, methodical strokes including the pausing killing of a baby, cartoon or not, doesn't seem to me to be a natural, sane reach for laughs or comedy. The notion that Quagmire turns into a homicidal maniac and kills children in a scene that is essentially silent except for the shots and poor voices is something that only added to the stunning disparity of the whole thing.

I know we're "supposed" to think that Family Guy is funny when it's edgy, but to me this is beyond edgy and right into disturbing and disdainful nonsense. I seriously question the sanity of someone that found the segment funny in any way and had a natural reaction to "laugh" with all of the shots. Just sickening.

The segment would have been fine had they left it alone after the crawl, to be honest. It was funny to have Quagmire chase Marge and it was even funny, somewhat disturbingly so, to have Marge succumb to cartoon rape. But they took it way, way, way too far with the shootings.

October 05 2007 at 11:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan

I can assure you that in Canada on Global we did see the scene where Quagmire off's the entire Simpsons family, I just kinda sat there a little stunned for a quick second.....

October 04 2007 at 2:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paul

It would not have been an homage to Clerks...it would have been more likely to be making fun of Clerks. Kevin Smith is an admitted hater of Family Guy. In the final episode of the Clerks cartoon, they supposedly made fun of Family Guy's style. Personally, I hate Kevin Smith's movies...and I've never been able to watch all of any of them. Likewise, I HATED this episode. It was horrible, save for maybe 3 jokes. I agree that the whole convience store scenes just dragged on for forever. It was like a long joke with no punchline. Hopefully, they get back on track and the rest of the episodes this season will be better.

October 02 2007 at 8:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Happy Steve

Yeah I have to say this episode was a major letdown, especially being right after Blue Harvest. The movie conversations just draaaaaaaaagged.

The only two things I liked was the Donald Duck costume and Stewie being VERY direct when hitting on Brian.

October 01 2007 at 4:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
beanspants1

i didn't see the convenience stores being a homage to Clerks, because the only thing they talked about was hot chicks in movies - Clerks covered more topics.

i think it was a just a mook conversation that was satirized - 2 dorks in dead-end jobs with no girlfriends, so they talk about movie nude scenes.

October 01 2007 at 4:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Martin

A couple other quick revelations from Seth McFarlane at Friday night's speech at the University of Missouri:

Jillian will be back.

Joe's wife, Bonnie, will finally give birth.

There will be an "Empire Strikes Back" spoof. (When asked about an Indiana Jones spoof, McFarlane responded enthusiastically, but said rights would be difficult to acquire. "Paramount's funny about stuff like that," he said.)

The staff is working on a Family Guy movie for theatrical release. "It will be a musical," McFarlane said.

October 01 2007 at 3:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Martin

I was at the same lecture at the University of Missouri as Phill attended. I'll have to admit, I was amazed at the amount censoring that was done on this episode. The "Death of the Simpsons" gag got so much response from the audience that it drowned out a lot of the dialogue, forcing me to watch it again Sunday night to catch up on what I missed. I wonder if Fox executives ever attend public screenings like this and see for themselves the kind of out-loud laughter the scenes they are nervous about generate. (Another memorable cut: Chris' last line in Sunday night's broadcast episode was "Welcome back, douchebag." The original line in the episode McFarlane screened at MU was, "Welcome back, asshole."

October 01 2007 at 2:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matt

Horrible. I mean...it was completely awful. I can't even consider what I saw to be funny, because it's so horribly offensive on all fronts. Apparently, they're pro-rape, adultery, and murdering an entire family?

This isn't like South Park making some gross or offensive joke. After 11 years, you expect that with South Park. This is far over the top, even for the typically crude Family Guy.

A new low, folks.

October 01 2007 at 1:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Phill

@Matt and Jason:

That scene did in fact exist in the original episode. Seth McFarlane was at the University of Missouri on Friday and gave a presentation I attended. He screened the episode in advance for the crowd, and included that scene. After the episode was screened, he told everyone that he expected it to be cut. Then the best part: He held up a disk and claimed that it held a copy of the that scene. Then turned around, started to put it in his back pocket, and "dropped" it off the stage. It was obviously a farce because he started talking about saying, "as far as I know, that disk is still in my back pocket. I would HATE for that clip to end up on YouTube." He waited about 30 seconds for someone to run and grab the disk, then turned back around and continued his speech. He got a lengthy round of applause for that. If anyone has a link to the clip, I'd love to see it again.

October 01 2007 at 11:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rogphi

Great Episode. The Peter as Donald Duck had me on the floor laughing so Hard I had to pause the TV. I also Love Dr Katz the store Clerk. I still love this show, it never fails to cheer me up!

October 01 2007 at 11:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply