July 23, 2014

More Star Trek movie casting rumors

by Brad Trechak, posted Sep 30th 2007 10:03AM

Star Trek movie logoIn response to my last Star Trek post, a reader pointed out some more casting rumors for us. According to TrekMovie.com, actor Paul McGillion has auditioned for the role of Montgomery Scott originally played by the late James Doohan in the 1966 to 1969 Star Trek television series.

The Canadian actor already plays a Scottish character on Stargate Atlantis, so adopting the accent wouldn't be a new thing for him. He's even gotten an endorsement from Chris Doohan, son of James.

I haven't watched Stargate Atlantis, so I can't comment on whether he's a good choice for the role or not. If he gets the role, then time will tell. What do you think?

Peter Ker

SPOILER:

GateWorld said Paul McGillion is back for 2 Episodes in the Middle of the Season. Joe Mallozi has stated that if Stargate Atlantis should return for Season 5, Paul McGillion would return to the show as a Regular.

October 01 2007 at 3:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sue

Paul McGillion would be the perfect choice for Scotty. I hope this rumor comes true.

September 30 2007 at 11:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lucyfan62

McGillion has confirmed he will be returning to ATLANTIS for at least one episode in Season 4. They're not saying how or what the circumstances of his return are, of course, but he will be back. He would be a great choice for Scotty though.

September 30 2007 at 1:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Usama

It's true.. he might be a great choice. McGillion is a great actor. Now, SPOILER ALERT for any fans of Stargate: Atlantis who haven't seen past the third season, stop reading right now or you might read something about the show's story line you didn't want to know. ... Okay, now I should only have those of you who are up to speed with Atlantis or just don't care about the show: Brad, McGillion is no longer on the show (you said "already plays") because his character died late in season 3, so unless they bring him back (which I doubt) he's actually free to the best of my knowledge.

Atlantis fans who aren't up to speed, SPOILER OVER:

I say he might be a good choice because if you look at ST:TOS Scotty was actually a pretty lean guy and since this movie is supposed to take place before TOS, it might seem weird. But those are the details that crazy people get angry over. I'm not crazy! If he can do it he should!

September 30 2007 at 12:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Benjy

Paul McGillion is a dead-on choice for Scotty! Brilliant casting if true!

September 30 2007 at 11:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply