October 21, 2014

Eureka: A Night In Global Dynamics (season finale)

by Brett Love, posted Oct 3rd 2007 10:20AM
colin ferguson - eureka(S02E13) Will is off this week, headed to Talladega to cheer on his beloved Earnhardt Jr and the #8 Budweiser Chevrolet, or something like that. He asked that I take over Eureka, so here I am. Before we get to the actual episode though, I wanted to bring up a comment that TV Squad reader Derek made on last week's post.

He mentioned his growing annoyance with the formula of Eureka. I think it's a fair criticism. It hasn't worn on me yet, but we all react differently to these things, which is part of what makes it all so fun. I bring it up though, because I think it highlights what is a difficult balancing act for a show like this. If a show gets too wrapped up in an ongoing story, it runs the risk of alienating viewers who think it's all a big stall game. Please see every Lost post on the internet for an example. On the other hand, not enough serialization, and it gets formulaic, annoying an entirely different group. It's something that I think team Eureka has balanced well this season, but your mileage may vary. Anyway, after the jump, a look at the big season finale.

There were a lot of loose ends for this season to tie up with the finale. Kevin's connection to the artifact, Nathan and Allison's work to understand it, Beverly's ultimate goal, Henry's grand revenge scheme, Carter's increasing suspicion/recovering of his memory, and just why is Jo with some new guy instead of Tag, like she should be. For the most part, I think they did a pretty good job answering questions.

The relationship between Carter and Henry was actually my favorite part of all of it. It played out really well over the course of the season. I was really sold on it when Carter started in with the guilt trip, "You're my best friend" stuff. I was a little let down that we never got the big confrontation where Carter just shouts "I remember everything!" That being said, the scene at the end when Henry is leaving did make for a nice moment between the two of them, and wrapped that story up nicely.

One bit that I didn't think worked out as nicely was the partnering of Henry and Beverly, and the conflict that caused between Henry, Allison, and Nathan. We know now that Henry was actually out to help Kevin, but I just didn't buy his "I tried. You wouldn't listen. You didn't trust me." argument for why he went about it the way he did. Given what we know, and what Henry knows, about Allison, you have to think that just blurting out "I know how to fix your kid." is going to get you some face time.

Henry's big conspiracy did lead to the lock down, which gave us some Carter and Nathan bonding time and the suspense filled group following along back at SARAH with Fargo and Zane. It also laid the groundwork for the thermal cleansing, which just has to be bad. So, in that regard it worked to power the episode down the path. But I did think it was the weakest part of the plot. It just felt a little off.

As far as Kevin goes, I like the resolution. You could argue that the genetic cleansing transporter built from banned technology which we have never heard mentioned was all too convenient, but I'm willing to just roll with that revelation. It feels like Kevin and the artifact have run their course. I'm good with dropping that one for the foreseeable future, now that there is nobody left who can interface with the artifact. Of course, keeping in mind that Beverly is still out there somewhere and it hangs as a possible story somewhere in the distance.

One story that I think we should be running into sooner, rather than later, is the relationship between Allison and Carter. I'm not sure that the last nail was pounded into the coffin of possibility for a love connection there, but we are on that road. I don't think the secrecy and deception is going to play well with the Sheriff, no matter how noble she thought her intentions were. And that look Carter shared with Nathan as they rode the panic room back up showed a new respect between the two of them. I think the good guy Carter would step aside. How it all effects the working relationship that Carter and Allison have should be interesting to see.

All things considered, it was a nice wrap-up to what has been a solid second season. It makes the recently ordered season three something to look forward to. And if nothing else, I think we all learned a valuable lesson tonight. "Boys, there's plenty of back door access for everyone."

That's two in the books. Where does Eureka stand on your periodic table of television viewing?
Hydrogen! Still must see TV.293 (72.0%)
Cobalt. I'm still watching, but it's the middle of the pack for me.108 (26.5%)
Plutonium. Bottom of the list, relegated to languishing on my dvr.6 (1.5%)

Sunnyteryl

By the way, what was the Princess bride comment you are talking about?

October 16 2007 at 1:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sunnyteryl

I disagree with the person that said Kevin's autism did not return. She said he was back to his old self. I took this to mean it did return

October 16 2007 at 1:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hank

Best was Taggert's paraphrase of The Princess Bride. And yes, it took me 3 days to remember why that line sounded so familiar.

October 05 2007 at 9:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Molly

Thanks Dan! That really helps.

And I'll say that while I found the finale a little underwhelming (Henry's motivations in the last few episodes never quite made sense to me based on what we'd seen of the rest of the season-- it felt like they either wrote themselves into a corner or suddenly decided to wrap things up differently), I continue to be charmed by the show. Sure the technobabble is just that, but the characters are so engaging (I even like Stark!) and hubby and I both find the light tone of the show to be somewhat refreshing. So, I'm definitely happy about a third season imminent.

October 04 2007 at 2:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan Chichian

Molly - Beverly did transport herself away and they did not know where she is or if she survived it.

Carter did not arrest Henry the military did. When the general asked who was responsible Henry admitted it was his plan.

Stark proposed to Allison but she did not respond but her expression hinted that the answer will be no.

There was no official prognosis for Kevin. He seemed to be fine and the autism did not return.

October 04 2007 at 1:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Stef

The biggest question I have is why is it so hard to find Beverly at this point? She's been held in seclusion for long enough that it would be impossible for her to have contacted someone to meet her and pick her up. Along with the issue that wherever she is, she's currently running around naked. How hard is it to find a naked woman within a mile of GD with all the advanced sattelites that they have access to?

October 04 2007 at 1:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Molly

I too got the last five minutes cut off by the DVR by recording the later airing. The last thing we saw was Beverly trying to transport herself away. Can someone give a blow by blow of the last couple of minutes of the episode? From your descriptions I think I can work it out:
* Beverly transports away. She's presumed dead, but no body
* Carter arrests Henry
* Stark proposes to Alison
* the final prognosis for Kevin is what?
Are those correct? (I had to read between the lines for a few) and did I miss anything else?

October 04 2007 at 12:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joey Geraci

How could anybody like the Zane character, or much less like the pairing of Zane and Lupo. He was an asshole to her earlier in the season, and she reacted ... by apologizing??!! WTF!!! That is not the Joe Lupo I knew! And now she is all fucking lovey-dovey with him, but the only way they could make the relationship happen with him was to fundamentally change her character, for the worse, I believe. This season has really just been all around awful, for the most part. The forced relationships, the poor handling of long running plotlines, the horrible mangling of Henry's character, and the absence of Taggart have all been so disappointing.

Yes, the Taggart/Lupo relationship was weird, but this is a weird show people!! The relationship between the two of them made sense, in a weird Eureka way. Zane is just a condescending, smug asshole, and every time I saw him on the screen I had to resist the temptation to throw something at the screen. (It would be one thing if he apologized to her after he acted like an asshole to her, but she fucking apologized to him!!! That was the moment this show jumped the shark, IMO)

Even if you liked this season overall, you have to agree that the first season was better! The cliffhanger in the first season kicked fucking ass, but they appeared to simply end this episode because they ran out of time, without any kind of resolution or hope for the future.

I don't think I have ever been less excited when a show I watch has been renewed. If they continue in their current track record, I don't even think I will keep watching. My preference for the third season is that it would be a do over. Simply forget that the second season ever existed, and start the third season right after the first season cliffhanger. And do it right this time!!! At the very least, they need to rewatch the episodes of the first season a couple times, and figure out what drew people to this show in the first place. It certainly wasn't poorly crafted, awkwardly acted romantic relationships!!!

October 04 2007 at 8:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eric Cotton

I could have done without the huge, distracting Ghost Hunters log on display throughout the show (not to mention the frequent pop-ups). I've come to accept the #&^%$^ network logos in the corners, but this was just too much. SUch abuse is enough to make me consider waiting for shows on DVD.

October 04 2007 at 7:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LadyOracle

They didn't just hint at teleportation being a banned technology in the invisibility episode. They said it flat out. I remember it being listed specifically in the banned technologies from the Stockholm treaty. For once they didn't pull the magical technology out of their butts.

And kudos to the writers for the homage to Princess Bride. I nearly died laughing.

October 03 2007 at 8:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply