October 23, 2014

Surprise news of the day: Cupid is coming back!

by Bob Sassone, posted Oct 3rd 2007 3:03PM

PivenI was a fan of the short-lived Jeremy Piven show Cupid, which aired on ABC in the late 90s. But I never would have thought that of all of the shows that have been canceled that it would be the one that would make a comeback, ten years later.

But that's what's happening. Veronica Mars creator Rob Thomas, who created Cupid, was looking for a show sort of like Cupid to do for ABC, and ABC just asked if he wanted to do Cupid again. And Sony gave the OK. The setting of the show will move from Chicago to Los Angeles, so they can have more guest stars (let's all say it at once: "ugh"). You can watch most of the original pilot here (part one isn't there for some reason).

Of course, Piven won't star in the remake. He's too busy doing HBO's Entourage and big screen movies. So who should we get for the lead role? How about Matthew Perry?

MacDude

I love this show!!!!!!!!! I use torrents of it from Canada in my teaching. I have every episode on my iPod. Piven and Marshall were genius (better than Willis and Sheppard in Blue Moon). Cavanaugh has the comedic timing that could pull it off. I'm cautiously waiting the return of this show.

November 06 2007 at 11:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan

> 16. How about Tom Cavanaugh from "Ed"?

I think the character had a desperate quality to his condition that I haven't seen Cavanaugh possess. I hope they can find someone right for the role(s).

October 07 2007 at 2:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Asherbean

How about Tom Cavanaugh from "Ed"?

October 04 2007 at 6:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kevjohn

How about Will Arnett? Hell, I thought that was his photo anyway when I clicked on this link.

October 04 2007 at 10:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

I LOVED that show. But it was the Piven who made me love it. I don't know who else could carry off that manic energy without coming off as Piven Lite--like the annoying Jack Black Lite in "Reaper."

October 03 2007 at 7:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Fred

Bring back Firefly instead. :o)

October 03 2007 at 6:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alan

Keep in mind, the whole point of the original show was, is this guy really Cupid, or is he a mental patient. If that's still your premise, you need someone who can play a good mental patient. I don't think Bateman can do that.

October 03 2007 at 6:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bob Mc

I loved that show. I'm glad to hear it's coming back, but I'm not sure it will be the same without Ari.

October 03 2007 at 6:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Daniel

Please get FOX to revive Wonderfalls and slot it on other than Friday or Saturday night.

Adore that show. FOX's previous management made a huge mistake to cancel it.

October 03 2007 at 5:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sitruc

One of my first and only comments on this site for the longest time was in a Cupid thread(different handle). I probably wasn't part of the demography they were looking for, but I loved the show. I'm a little concerned about remaking and starting the show over though. Of course, setting the show in LA already takes away some of the charm that the show had.... It will be interesting to see who is cast. I thought the casting was pretty much perfect back then. Now if they would only bring the original Cupid to DVD...

October 03 2007 at 5:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply