Ugly Betty: Family/Affair
(S02E02) The photo says it all, doesn't it? The humor, campiness, and wickedness were back in full effect. There were some sad moments left over from Santos' death, and I'm worried about Justin's newfound interest in basketball, but apart from that the episode was perfect. I'm suddenly hungry for a Naomi Campbell Tuna Meltdown.
I was thrilled that last week's tearjerker episode was followed by the kind of cute, comedic elements that Ugly Betty does so well. There was plenty of physical comedy--Dwayne putting Betty in a choke hold, Betty knocking over the bagels, and Betty and Christina texting each other while hiding under Wilhelmina's bed. We also got some great "evil Wilhelmina" moments, like Mark's thunder simulation on the roof, and the flames shooting up as Wilhelmina left Bradford's office in anger. My favorite moment was when Henry showed up drunk (was he drinking a wine cooler?) at Betty's and told her that he drank milk to coat his stomach first. Those two are soulmates, mark my words.
Vanessa Williams' ex, Rick Fox, made his guest appearance tonight, and the fact that he barely spoke reveals a lot about his acting ability. It's nice to know that not all Hollywood divorces are bitter and messy, though. The two even did a love scene together! Actually, Rick Fox wasn't as bad as all that. I laughed when he said that, like Betty, he didn't know what the song "Afternoon Delight" referred to. Betty and Christina's break-in was hilarious, as were the items seen in Wilhelmina's apartment (photo with Dick Cheney, anyone?).
Unfortunately, Betty's Buenos Dias earrings were her undoing. Wili got another shot at bribing Betty, and this time the stakes were even higher. I understand Betty's decision. Her vision of Ignacio made it clear that she's missing her father and his role as her moral center. I have a feeling that Betty will break down and spill the beans eventually, though. She's not entirely without a conscience. Besides, Ignacio might not make it back to Queens next week after all. Last season, we learned that someone wanted to kill Ignacio, and the gun-toting man finally found his way to Aunt Mirta's house. Will Ignacio be killed? Probably not, but it's likely that his trip home will be delayed. I'm glad that the writers are giving Ignacio more to do than hang out in the Suarez kitchen, but I'd really like him to be reunited with his family soon.
Betty wasn't the only one keeping secrets this week. Daniel, still guilty about the accident, told Alexis that she crashed the car after she swerved to avoid a deer. How much do you want to bet that his lie will come back and bite him? Also, how long will it take Wilhelmina to pay Alexis a visit and put her wedding to Bradford back on track?
Amanda lost the weight (that was fast), and gained a pet. I couldn't tell what kind of dog Halston was--either a really awful-looking Chihuahua or a Chinese Crested. Dog lovers, sound off! In addition to the weekly allowance, perhaps she can enter Halston in those World's Ugliest Dog contests. It's sweet that she wants to know more about her biological mother, and the D.N.A. test should get her closer to learning about her biological father. I wonder what Marc meant about the test not being his first one? I love when the characters make little offhand comments like that.
Hooray for Justin the Intern! I love the idea of Marc as Justin's mentor, even if he did use him to get dirt on Betty. After watching Hilda deal with her grief last week, we finally saw how Santos' death affected Justin. He's definitely missing his Dad, and felt guilty about enjoying himself at Mode. It looks like he's going to try to be the athlete that Santos always wanted him to be. Considering that he once mistook a cup for a Phantom of the Opera mask, I'm guessing that things won't go so well. I hope he doesn't completely give up on his love of fashion. Mode needs him!
Henry was back at Mode, but not for good. I really had to suspend disbelief with that whole "I can't get a job with benefits anywhere in Arizona" thing, but I'll take Henry any way I can get him. Thank goodness for Christina and her big mouth! I doubt that Betty will forget about all her hurt feelings and start dating Henry, but at least things are moving in the right direction. I want to see some awkward flirting within the season! No more of this arm-punching buddy business.
Next week: Tons of daddy drama, and Freddy Rodriguez makes his first appearance. Betty-Henry 'shippers beware!
Best lines of the episode:
- "Oh, Betty. Dear, Pie-eyed, pie-eating Betty." Wilhelmina, insulting Betty in the conference room.
- "Yeah, and I wish I got to know Marlon Brando before he got fat." Marc, on another of his celebrity crushes.
- "The famous Mode cafeteria? Where Naomi Campbell had a tuna melt and a meltdown? They now have it on the menu. The Naomi Campbell Tuna Meltdown." Justin, refusing to bring his lunch to Mode.
- "Marc, I need to fire Chloe in Production. I want you to stand next to me and nod thoughtfully." Wilhelmina.
- "Ten bucks says there's a coat in there made of Dalmatian puppies." Christina, on Wilhelmina's closet.
- "Sending Warren Beatty a 60th (yeah right) birthday card, telling David Sedaris his 5,000-word piece is now a 50-word piece, getting yelled at by David Sedaris, and asking Chris Rock to write a ten-minute toast that Wilhelmina is giving to Patty Hearst to mark the 33rd anniversary of her kidnapping." What Marc did in the last five minutes (my favorite line of the night).
- "Am I some kind of animal? No! Yo soy Shakira!" Marc, on Shakira's need for a bendy straw.
- "I'm looking for a package for Alexis. Ironic, as I say that out loud." Nick Pepper.
- "Come on, girl. I am black, you're Mexican. Let's not talk around this like a couple of dull white people." Classic Wilhelmina!
|Yes! Those two belong together!||166 (48.7%)|
|No. Betty needs to move on.||50 (14.7%)|
|Not until they know who the father of Charlie's baby is.||106 (31.1%)|
|I can't decide.||19 (5.6%)|