December 18, 2014

Cane: The Two Alex Vegas

by Kristin Sample, posted Oct 10th 2007 10:36AM
Duque Rum Headquarters in Miami
(S01E03)
So I was beginning to have really mixed feelings about this show. I loved the classic themes and plots which allow for so many storylines and conflicts. And of course, no one can argue with this ensemble cast. But I felt like the story wasn't pulling me in and Alex's character wasn't believable or appealing. (I know it's TV so "believable" is a huge demand, but I mean that brand of TV believable.) I watched last week and had this sense that something was just missing. Maybe it has too many characters. Maybe it has too many storylines. Maybe CBS keeps these storylines a little too PG for a show that's slated for 10 p.m. (HBO could turn this plot and this cast into the just-can't-miss-it television that populates the Sunday night time slots.) But tonight, all my mixed feelings about Cane started to disappear...

Thankfully for audiences, Rita Moreno had more of a role in this week's episode. Her dialogue with Hector Elizondo about what to make for dinner was a little irrelevant but funny. I loved his shouting, "No fish" and her shouting back as she exited his office, "We're having halibut." Also, her dialogue with Nestor Carbonell furthered the theme of this episode: secrets. I was surprised to find out that even she didn't know why Alex and Pancho hate the Samuels so much. She told her son that she didn't hate them she just didn't trust them because her husband hated them. This part of the storyline doesn't quite work for me. Even Ellis Samuels (who the previews for Cane bill as the villainess of the show) doesn't know her father's dark past with the Duques. It makes her and Frank seem innocent. It makes their affair seem less scandalous. Frank is almost a sympathetic character (emphasis on the "almost"). If he doesn't know what Joe Samuels has done to his family then how can he object wholeheartedly to doing business with him or be disgusted at the idea of having a relationship with Joe's daughter.
Frank and Ellis
I was happy to see Alex broach this topic with his father. Alex is right. Why not just tell Frank? Pancho seemed to think that since blood is thicker than water that Frank's feelings of resentment will subside.

Apparently Pancho was wrong and these feelings will only get worse, further eroding the relationship between the brothers and calling into question Frank's loyalty to his entire family. This week the conflict with Alex and Frank heated up. It was exciting to see that the lines were drawn in the sand between the two men who will be responsible for most of the conflict this season. The scene at the end where Alex lights his cigar and Frank just stares back from the deck of his boat as Ellis speeds away in a little red sportscar was priceless. Audiences also got their first look at a real argument between Alex and Frank. Both characters were privy to the other's secrets and they whispered threats as the entire family stood an earshot away in the other room. The low lighting and close-ups on the actors' faces added to the suspense.

It was nice to see a little glimmer of fear in Alex's eyes after Frank threatened to tell Pancho about the murder. It's important to see the main character sweat a little. That way, when he / she gains the upper-hand again, it's worthwhile for the audience. I just couldn't engage in Alex's character up until now. He always seemed so in control.

Do you think that Alex will ignore Pancho's advice and tell Frank why he really hates the Samuels?
No, at least not next week.25 (21.7%)
Yes, definitely.16 (13.9%)
Probably later on this season.74 (64.3%)

Gallery: Cane

The Duque FamilyDuque Rum FactoryFrank DuqueFrank and EllisJaime DuqueArtie VegaAmalia DuqueHenry and Daddy YankeeHenry DuquePancho DuqueHector ElizondoJimmy SmitsNo Quinones HereThe Miami CoastlineIsabel Vega

theresa berntson

when will Cane be playing again?

January 05 2008 at 12:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
theresa berntson

Thank you again for another great night of your show .Wouldn't change a thing your one of the best, a senior fan in Az.

November 14 2007 at 3:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
theresa berntson

Great show,this is another "Dallas" wouldn't miss even one episode. Thanks for a great night with tv

October 27 2007 at 1:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RAFY MANSO

does anybody knows the brand cell phone jimmy smiths uses on the show?

October 24 2007 at 11:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mildred

to jennifer.santo,s name is oscar torre I just read this on cbs site, and he is my favorite, he is so believable, he seems like the typical cuban, (he talks with his hands) I just loved this character.

October 16 2007 at 10:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kristin Sample

I like the angle someone brought up about Pancho setting Alex up. That would be a good angle to build to at the end of the first season. It makes for so much conflict...Isabel then has to choose a side.

October 10 2007 at 10:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kristin Sample

I think that the writers had Henry make a deal with sketchy people and not go to a bank to show how neither of Pancho's natural sons have the reserve or temperance to run such an important company. Notice they had Frank in shots with his Ferrari, his yacht and chatting on his cell phone while he drove his speedboat. However, I agree that somewhere in the conversation between Alex and Henry, Alex should have inquired why Henry didn't go to a bank. Or they could've had a scene where Henry is drunk and openly discussing his plans with the sketchy loan shark guys.

I also agree that the writers should explain why Frank was not chosen or why Frank and Alex can't run the company together. They need some flashback scenes, perhaps. Or, as I have said in the past, just make Frank into more of a villain. I actually like Frank right now.

October 10 2007 at 10:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JEN

Oh and one more thing...that actor who plays the "bad" guy - the driver now....Santo I think his name is....He is soooo believeable!! Love him too.

October 10 2007 at 2:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JEN

GIVE ME MORE OF THIS SHOW!! Once a week is not enough. I enjoy the acting, the cast, the story line, the music, All of it!! I'm so sick of reality TV that this one is a breath of fresh cuban air! I love when they speak Spanish, I love Jimmy Smits. I nearly had a breakdown on NYPD BLUE when he died in the hospital....so I am happy to see him looking so....ahhh, HEALTHY!! Mmmmmm

October 10 2007 at 2:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Isaac

My take on Cane so far;

I was just thinking that while watching cane it occurred to me that maybe the old man chose that guy (Schmitts) to be in charge to set him up. What I mean is that he knew that to deal with the Samuels it required a criminal mind to do criminal things.

Better to have an adopted son to do the dirty work and to get in trouble with the law than his own blood that would quickly take over if there was trouble in paradise. Alex's wife would be taken care of anyway cause she's part of the duque family.

So Alex will go down and he will quickly be labeled "as the adopted" son that is not part of the Duque family.

October 10 2007 at 2:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply