July 25, 2014

IMDb launches character pages

by Bob Sassone, posted Oct 10th 2007 6:01PM

imdb logoWell, this is a rather cool feature for a TV fan: IMDb pages for TV and movie characters.

Now, it's one thing to have a page for a character that has only been seen on one TV show. But what about characters that have appeared on several TV shows? I decided to test IMDb and see how thorough it is. I typed in "Mike Bauer," a character that used to be on Guiding Light. The character has not only been played by a bunch of characters over the decades, he also appeared on another soap, Another World (on another network!), and damn, the IMDb caught that too.

It also lists multiple shows/movies that have used a particular character name. For example, if you're a fan of Two and a Half Men and type in "Charlie Harper," that page comes up, but you also find out that Edward Albert played a character by that name on the short-lived George Clooney/Lee Horsley police show Bodies of Evidence in 1992 and that Angus Duncan played a character by that name on Bewitched in 1964.

Great, this is all I need, more toys to play with on the internet. Type your own name in and see what you get!

gwangi

This is cool. There are often times I only know a character name.

October 11 2007 at 2:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kevjohn

Hmm, I looked up "Satan" and all they showed me was a screencap of Dick Cheney from some interwiew he did a few years back.

October 11 2007 at 11:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gudlyf

This is very deja-vu. This is the 2nd time I've used IMDB for a feature that I didn't realize it had, only to discover it had been released just the previous day. I was trying to find out which actors played Satan on TV, and it had a good list but it wasn't complete, mostly because Satan wasn't always named "Satan" or "The Devil" on shows.

October 11 2007 at 10:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Murray

The best test is the character John Munch, who has probably been in more shows than any other character on TV.

October 11 2007 at 4:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Seth

That's good to have. I use IMDB alot.

October 10 2007 at 11:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Toby OB

I always knew of mine - from two episodes of "Police Story" back in the 70s. It's uncommon enough, but even one character with it is too many. LOL! Like Nightcrawler once said in the X-Men comics, "I'd like to think I'm unique."

October 10 2007 at 7:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
segsig

Mike Bauer! How the heck was that the character to pop into your head? Wasn't that the 70's?

October 10 2007 at 7:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply