April 17, 2014

Kiefer Sutherland to spend 48 days in jail (but not all at once)

by Bob Sassone, posted Oct 11th 2007 4:22PM

Kiefer SutherlandIf I ever get arrested for drunk driving (which will never happen), I would like prosecutors and defense attorneys to come to an agreement where I can split my 48 days in jail into two different blocks of time, so I can blog all day long and watch a lot of TV shows I might otherwise miss.

That's what's going to happen to 24 star Kiefer Sutherland. He's going to jail for DUI for 48 days (not the 30 we reported the other day), but those days will be split up so it doesn't interfere with the production of the FOX show. He'll serve 18 days, then go back to filming the show, then serve the remaining days after production is over (he has to complete the 48 days by July 1).

So, readers, I ask: is this going overboard to accomodate a celebrity? Or is it actually OK because there's no sense in screwing up an expensive show that employs a lot of people and as long as he serves the time who cares when it is?

jmo

As an avid viewer of "24" When "Jack" gets out of jail, would he please have the writers move headquarters to So. Florida and have terrorist blow up Miami, and West Palm Beach. I think LA has about run the gammit. They would be doing me a tremendous favor-traffic and crime here is awful-LOL
Thanks

October 15 2007 at 4:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joseph

Actually, I'm surprised he's doing any time at all. Usually the courts are bending over backwards to accomodate no-talent assclowns. And Sutherland's decision to plead no contest is something I find somewhat admirable. At least he's owning up to what he did.

He could have tried to just do the Paris Hilton thing or found a high-profile attorney who would then more likely than not get him off on a mere technicality. We accomodate ordinary Joes so that they don't lose their jobs sometimes. I don't see why we shouldn't do the same for a celebrity. It's not really special treatment when everybody else gets the same opportunity.

October 12 2007 at 3:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

Hey I appreciate the fact that he's apparently going to go do his time without much protest. That was likely a factor in him getting the courts to agree to the split in the first place. As long as he does the time, I have no problem with them factoring in some allowances. Doing the time in the first place shows at least some contrition on his part and that's all part of the redemption process of why he's going to jail in the first place.

Now, if he goes rogue, changes his identity and has to save the president from nuclear holocaust during the break in his sentence... that might just change my opinion of things...

October 12 2007 at 10:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ac

#1. Kiefer is on 24. FoxNews LOVES that show. They aren't going to make a big deal about this.

October 11 2007 at 6:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Judy

I'm glad that he is doing his time like a man, sure good that he didn't kill someone that faithful day, also glad that he is getting the help he needs as what he has is a disease, good luck to you and happy future.

October 11 2007 at 6:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
iamhoff

Supposed to be a link in my last comment.
/celebrity-justice-what-a-bunch-of-crap/

October 11 2007 at 6:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
iamhoff

If it's a common thing to split the time to accommodate various commitments (never had one, so I don't know), then it's not going overboard. I suppose I should be happy that he's actually going to serve time.

October 11 2007 at 6:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
seattlesamantha

I don't see it as special treatment. I knew someone that had to serve time for DUI and they split it up to accomodate his job. He did his time on various weekends over several months.

October 11 2007 at 6:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brent McKee

Not sure why Sutherland doing his sentence in two blocks of days is any different from some guys who does his time only on the weekends so he can go to work and support his family. Which does happen by the way. As long as he completes his sentence, or what the normal amount of time served under these circumstances I'm fine with however they set it up. (Remember, it has been fairly conclusively proven that Paris Hilton was treated differently because she was a celebrity - she was treated worse than the ordinary person with the same sentence).

October 11 2007 at 6:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply