July 29, 2014

NBC might show reruns of UK Office and Curb Your Enthusiasm

by Bob Sassone, posted Oct 11th 2007 7:06PM

Ricky GervaisNo, this isn't some programming move to get rid of reality shows (though I think it's worth exploring). It's actually a strategy in case there's a strike in Hollywood.

And that strike is looking more and more like it might become a reality. It sounds like hyperbole, I know, but the two sides are really far apart, and we're closer to a strike than we've ever been. Writers want more money for DVD sales and other forms of media. At one point they were going to work under their old deal until the end of this season, but now things have changed. The networks have been stockpiling on scripts and orders for reality shows just in case.

And NBC is adding a twist: they're thinking about adding the UK version of The Office and HBO's Curb Your Enthusiasm. Hey, how about reruns of Burn Notice while you're at it? Bring some shows over from USA and Sci-Fi?

Don't worry, if there's a strike, TV Squad writers will not be involved. You'll still be able to come here and get your daily dose of news, reviews, previews, interviews and all other things that end in "ews."

kevjohn

This strike might be the best thing that could have happened to us TV viewers. We'll finally get some quality programming on-air for a change. Old shows > new shows. I mean, how many current shows are better than "Curb" or the original "Office"? Or would you rather just keep watching "Cavemen"?

October 12 2007 at 1:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oreo

I agree, from what I have seen writers want to get money from their DVDs. They wrote the shows, it's their show, and yet they make no money from the DVD sales? That doesn't seem right to me.

October 12 2007 at 12:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dwacon_com

I agree with the idea of bringing Galactica to network television. But I also think that (as a writer) the industry should give a few extra pennies and not be such hardcases...

October 12 2007 at 12:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Josh

I've always wanted to check out the UK Office. I'd love to see that aired on NBC.

I also wish they'd air some episodes of The 4400 if this happens. You know, as much as I love my shows, a strike would be a really interesting thing to watch, and a chance to see cable and foreign shows aired on network TV. It'd be kinda cool.

October 12 2007 at 11:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cincinnati Mike

I don't know, LucyFan...

One reason the early Star Trek: Next Gen sucked so hard was the strike that forced Roddenberry to dust off really bad TOS-reject scripts.

But your scenario is probably unavoidable!

October 12 2007 at 10:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Harry

I know of a little show called Battlestar Galactica that NBC/Universal already owns. Give that show some much-deserved exposure.

October 12 2007 at 3:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kenban

There are a lot of good British TV shows that the networks could try in prime time. I hope that the networks are willing to go beyond the office. Fox could run the original Kitchen Nightmare. I think shows like Robin Hood could really do well and they are currently airing the second season so there will soon be 26 episodes that could be shown. It will be interesting seeing what the networks will try to fill the gaps in their schedules if the strike happens.

October 12 2007 at 1:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JayCaesar

curb your enthusiasm on nbc?? have the nbc execs seen this show? they would have to bleep out suzies character lol

October 12 2007 at 1:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lucyfan62

Hey, maybe they'll dust off some old scripts and revive some classic TV shows like they did with MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE during the last strike. They used the old scripts and made a new show! It would be cool to see some classic game shows revived and played in prime time like in the 50s. Bring back WHAT'S MY LINE, I'VE GOT A SECRET and TO TELL THE TRUTH! PASSWORD is coming back, so why not???

October 11 2007 at 10:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Danny Edwards

It isn't the first writer's strike and it won't be the last. The industry bounced back from the last one in 1988.

October 11 2007 at 8:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply