September 23, 2014

Regis Philbin to host new version of Password

by Joel Keller, posted Oct 11th 2007 12:01PM
Regis PhilbinAh, the world of TV, where everything old is new again. Failed sitcoms become cartoons, Adam West gets reimagined as a doddering cartoon mayor, and every old game show is remade into a new, more sparkly version.

Now the twirling-light, ominous music treatment has reached an old favorite: Password. According to Variety, CBS and Fremantle Media are teaming up to produce a new version of the word-association game show, redubbing it Million Dollar Password. And, not only will the old show will be recycled, so will an old host: Regis Philbin has been tapped to host his first prime-time game show since the ABC version of Who Wants to be a Millionaire breathed its last a few years ago.

The new version of the show is reportedly going to combine elements of its last two daytime incarnations, Password Plus (the last version original host Allen Ludden hosted before his death in 1981) and Super Password (hosted by the late Bert Convy in the late 80s). This means that, not only will we have the classic one-word-clue guessing game, but likely the passwords in each round will be part of a larger theme that contestants have to guess. Also, there will be a bonus round where the winning celebrity / civilian teams will put their winnings on the line in hopes of a million dollar payoff.

Unlike the game show revivals we've had recently, this is the first one that brings back the old 50s through 80s convention of the celebrity panelist. Wonder who those celebrities will be? I mean, Rip Taylor is still available, but I get the feeling the celebs will be more in line with Survivor rejects and the kid from Two and a Half Men. Anyone have any good ideas?

[via Pop Candy]

jasonsheps

I would say Jenna Fischer would be a good celebrity player, but she's NBC property...

October 14 2007 at 12:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Darren

They need to bring back Match Game - that is a CLASSIC!

October 11 2007 at 5:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jaycee

Sounds like there is a curse surounding this show...Rege better watch it!

October 11 2007 at 2:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vito

I like it, but what we need is another good panel show. What's My Line remains one of the best and most challenging game shows ever.

October 11 2007 at 2:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oreo

I agree, Marc Summers needs to host a game-show (is it one word or two?) again. Any would be amazing with him.

October 11 2007 at 2:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TVGenius

Yep. Press Your Luck, definitely. The highlight of last summer was seeing it on Gameshow Marathon. Though I don't know who would host, since my first pick would have been Peter again. I guess I'd have to go with one of my other favorites, who also would have been good for TPiR, and go with Marc Summers.

October 11 2007 at 1:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
steve gruberg

betty white should be there on the first show

October 11 2007 at 12:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oreo

I recently got the Game Show Network and all I can say is why? Out of all the shows to bring back this is the most boring one. Press Your Luck should come back, and not in Whammy form, Match Game is a great game, and Let's Make a Deal would all be much more fun than this boring BORING show.

October 11 2007 at 12:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply