September 21, 2014

Simon Pegg and Star Trek to make sweet geeky love

by Annie Wu, posted Oct 12th 2007 1:01PM
Simon PeggIt seems like all the geekiest blogs buzz with excitement whenever there's news about the new Star Trek movie. Yes, that includes us. The film sounds cool and all, but I think the biggest reaction I have had is when I silently nodded with approval upon hearing that Heroes' Zachary Quinto would be playing Spock. That is, until now.

Variety is reporting that Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz star Simon Pegg is going to play Scotty in the upcoming feature. Simon Pegg! Insert obligatory "beam him up" joke here.

The man has made it quite obvious that he's a geek and a fan of all things geeky; the proof is in the Spaced pudding. As soon as I heard the casting news, one of Pegg's lines from Spaced popped into my head: "... Sure as day follows night. Sure as eggs is eggs. Sure as every odd numbered Star Trek movie is shit." I wonder if that theory still applies to prequels.

In other Star Trek casting news, John Cho of Harold and Kumar fame has taken on the role of Sulu, pushing the situation close to awesome overload. Hmm, now if only Pegg could find a way to convince JJ Abrams to recruit Nick Frost as Captain Kirk.

laurie k

Oh come on people how can you be a fan or Simon and not believe he is capable of this role as Scotty...A: I have seen star trek... trekkie here as a matter of fact and B; I know just about everything there is to know about Simon...and from my knowledge alone I can see him pulling this off and coming out on top. Give it a chance before you decide it's going to be terrible...Pine as Kirk...had to look him up wasn't sure who he was but...hey what were Nimoy and Shatner doing before Star Trek? I say it's a brave new frontier being forged here and I am excited about it..you should be to. Congrats Simon!!!!!!!

October 12 2007 at 9:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael 8-)

@1: Yeah, I'm with you! I was kinda hoping for Paul McGillion as well. Obviously less star power, but a much better casting choice -- no matter how much I like Simon Pegg.

October 12 2007 at 5:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paul

Worst film/TV franchise ever? For shame, Tick, for shame!

October 12 2007 at 5:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
YouFaceTheTick

Wow that sucks. I loved Pegs last two films but his next film looks like ass and this news is deadful. Is he that hard up for cash that he would demean himself in a movie that's:

1. Directed by hackmeister abrams?
2. Associated with the worst film/TV franchise ever?

October 12 2007 at 4:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Edd

I love Simon Pegg, have ever since he did the Alan Partridge live show in 97. He honestly must be having the time of his life over the last five years - next he'll pop up in Star Wars VII!

(ps if he googles himself and reads this - make a Spaced special!!)

As to the casting? I would't have pictured it but lets wait for the first preview before we slam it.

October 12 2007 at 2:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gig

What about Anton Yelchin as Chekov? Why would he even be in it. Would Checkov even be born yet? He wasn't even in Starfleet except maybe at the academy when the show first started.

October 12 2007 at 2:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Benjy

I agree with the earlier sentiment: Paul McGillion would have been perfect for the role. You could almost picture him as a younger James Doohan! Simon Pegg was probably just star casting. I like Simon from his BBC shows and his movies, but I don't really see him for this role.

October 12 2007 at 2:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ac

I never really watched Star Trek but now I want to see this movie.

October 12 2007 at 2:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan

Well I'm officially excited about the movie. Simon Pegg is AWESOME.

October 12 2007 at 2:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tcc3

This movie is going to be so terrible.

October 12 2007 at 1:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply