October 24, 2014

Dexter: An Inconvenient Lie

by Keith McDuffee, posted Oct 14th 2007 11:26PM
dexter
(S02E03) As if the last two episodes weren't enough to make you realize how great this season's going to play out, Dexter's new foray into "addicts" anonymous is a brilliant storyline. And that it got Doakes off his tail is even better. Could a 12-step program really put a dent into the kind of addiction Dexter suffers from? Perhaps indirectly, it seems.

One thing that's so completely frustrating and, honestly, uninteresting to me is the Lt. Pascal storyline with LaGuerta. Obviously everything can't be about Dexter, and we need to make the other characters human, which is the only purpose I can find for this so far.

Anyway, Dexter is back to his more careful, investigative ways to lock down those deserving of his handywork. What makes this show so unique is how completely despicable Dexter's victims are, making what Dexter does to them seem pale in comparison. Like he said, how many more lives would be gone had it not been for him?

Great scene of the episode was Dexter picking up the SUV (sorry, minivan). Just look at that ample cargo space! Although he's trying to be careful, it was still pretty careless of him to buy that car and appear again later. If that body is somehow found, Dexter's all but completely screwed while this investigation is going on.

As we can see from the investigation of the Bay Harbor Butcher, Deb's better at her job than most give her credit for. She's closing in on who the killer is, which makes me wonder if, in the end, she'll figure out it's Dexter and somehow let him off the hook.

What's the verdict on the mysterious new woman in Dexter's life, Lyla from the meetings? My initial gut reaction is that she herself is a killer or is some sort of masochist. God, or some sort of vampire wannabe. The whole discussion about "the dark passenger" is direct from the books, and I actually knew that's what Dexter was going to utter when she went on with her story of addiction. Oh, and Deb's Rita's reaction upon realizing who Dexter's new sponsor is was perfect.

I'm not sure we were clued in on Dexter's past before as far as his Med school history (top of his class) and that he knows advanced jujitsu. I swear he had a harder time against his brother last season for a person who's skilled in the martial arts.

Dexter said in his speech at the AA meeting that "the mask is slipping." I wonder if part of that really indicates that Dexter wants to stop hiding, that deep down he wants to be caught.

Quote of the episode:

Dexter: "... and I need duct tape. Three or four rolls. Running low on heavy-duty trash bags. When's the last time I sharpened my knives?"

Do you think Deb and Agent Lundy are going to wind up together later?
Yes133 (36.4%)
No232 (63.6%)

ian_kessler

The NA chick is on Hustle, an AMC TV show about London con artists. She plays Stacie Monroe and if you have not seen the show, you should. Very good, very smart.

October 17 2007 at 3:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jamiemcn666

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone knows the guitar song that played season 2 episode 3? When Debra tries to leave the taskforce the second time,at 34min in.
Any help would be much appreciated,
Cheers.

October 16 2007 at 12:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ari

I knew Lundy looked familiar but wow!! i didn't realize that was Wild Bill Hickok- one of the best characters in a truly great show.
A lot of the acting besides Michael C. Hall has never been great, i.e Deb and Doakes have always been poor characters, and once you get used to the realism of HBO shows like Sopranos Deadwood and the Wire it takes time to adjust. However its the story line, a Shotime theme shared with Weeds that truly makes these shows great. The right scene is always in the right place, it shocks you, makes you laugh, really excellent shows.
and finally, Pascal has got to go. Compare her when she first arrived and the reputation it came with, to the current form of her character. It doesnt jive at all. The writers probably didnt know what to do, but need to write her off. Laguerta was better in the role.

October 16 2007 at 10:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ruth

I’m enjoying Rita’s transformation into Demanding Harpy this season. Watching Dexter kowtow (clumsily yet endearingly) to her demands somehow balances out how powerful he is stalking and killing “his chosen”. Love the elevator scene when Dexter has to stick his forearm thru the closing elevator doors – nice reference to Season 1 DVD cover.

October 16 2007 at 4:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe

"My first thought about his sponsor is she is going to end up being blamed for the 'Bay Harbor Butcher'."

That's exactly what I thought, let's hope we were on the money!

October 15 2007 at 8:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joey Geraci

While it was an awesome episode, I hope the Doake's suspicion storyline isn't completely over like it looks like it is. Doakes has concrete proof that Dexter has a connection to the Ice Truck killer, and all of the weird aspects of Dexter's life didn't simply go away because he is in NA. As much as this will give Dexter some more freedom, if Doakes simply stops tailing him, I will be disappointed.

October 15 2007 at 7:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kevinc

My first thought about his sponsor is she is going to end up being blamed for the "Bay Harbor Butcher. Don't know why, but as soon as we saw her that popped into my head and it was reinforced with the coffee shop talk.

Rita's transformation makes perfect sense. She is getting support from Dexter (what little he can give) and more importantly he husband is not beating on her any more.

If you've read the books, you know the writers have nothing to base the current LaGuerta storyline upon and it shows. This needs to be resolved sooner rather than later...

October 15 2007 at 6:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan

This episode was amazing, just like every other one of this show. I thought I was going to miss my 1 hour drama on Sunday nights when the Sopranos ended, but this season of Dexter (and the last one) have eclipsed season 6 of The Sopranos in its ability to keep me on the edge of my seat, to bring up all kinds of philosophical questions and to simply surprise me. I didn't think Doakes would let Dexter off the hook so easily and still feel as if he will continue to pester Dexter throughout the season. My favorite part was the Used-Car salesman being so good at lying and seeing Dexter's astonishment at the ease at which the man would lie. Simply an amazing episode.

October 15 2007 at 1:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
samodernist

I really like this show, but I have a few problems with it. Most of it has to do with the writing and dialouge for the female characters...it is atrocious. Rita and Deb, in particular, have horrible lines written for them in any given show. And Rita's transformation from the whispery, damsel in distress (last season) to the suspicious harpie this season is a bit to abrupt. Also the actress who plays Deb is not very impressive, not to mention that Doakes is becoming a 1 dimesional bully of a cop constantly pestering Dexter - I preferred last season when they had a kind of funny abusive banter with one another. It seems like all the women in this show are truly broken (I know most of the characters are given flaws), but the women really take it on the chin in this show. Maybe the new female character will provide a little strength-hopefully she will have better writing for her as well.

October 15 2007 at 12:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tool

'Bay Harbor Butcher' seems so insulting to who Dexter is. I'm surprised he hasn't reacted more negatively to that gauche moniker.

October 15 2007 at 10:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply