October 23, 2014

FOX cuts episode order for The Return of Jezebel James

by Bob Sassone, posted Oct 14th 2007 8:24PM

Return of Jezebel JamesThis is what's known, in network-speak, as "we really don't have any confidence in your show."

FOX has cut the episode order for the new comedy The Return of Jezebel James. The original order was for 13 episodes, but now the network has reduced the order to 7. The network says that they always planned the show to be a midseason show and seven episodes is all they need right now, but it can't be a good sign. This follows news that the producers had changed the show's setting from Hoboken to Brooklyn because they "wanted her to have a loft instead of a brownstone."

The show stars Parker Posey as an editor who asks her younger sister to have a baby for her. The show costars Lauren Ambrose, Kimberly Fox, Scott Cohen, and Ron McLarty, and is produced by Amy Sherman and Daniel Palladino, who did Gilmore Girls and produced several episodes of Roseanne.

Mel

To be fair, the Palladinos are morons.

October 15 2007 at 1:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chelle

I can't say that I'm shocked. I watched a bit of the pilot and I didn't think it was very funny at all. The laugh track=tacky. The concept is just odd. Also, I don't trust Amy Sherman Palladino whatsoever. Ha. Yes, she's a great writer but the woman can't hold a story for nothing. I doubt I'd ever get invested in another one of her shows, even if it's great writing/etc wise, due to what she did to the characters during season six of Gilmore Girls. She had it all - and she screwed it to pieces in regards to Gilmore Girls. So, I don't trust her even if she might be a good writer (that's very ADD with her actual story telling).

October 15 2007 at 12:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
R-Bro

Can't say I care... I really, really dislike Parker Posey.

October 15 2007 at 11:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kevjohn

I've never heard of this before, and I was certainly no fan of Gilmore Girls. But how can you get Posey and Ambrose and not create an amazing show around them?

October 15 2007 at 10:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tammy

I will still watch it since it is the Palladino's and I love Parker Posey. Sure they were't fair to the WB in using GG to get an extended contract and then leaving the show with a impossible story line. But I still give the Palladino's another chance because I like their style and how Amy creates such strong female characters.

October 15 2007 at 10:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Porchland

I don't understand why Fox gives up on shows like this instead of pitching them to FX or another Fox network or just dumping it outright.

If they're just going to use it for low-rated filler, why not show reruns of a show they can actually help?

October 15 2007 at 10:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Greg

I've seen the pilot, and though the laugh-track is... jarring, it's still funny. I read the script long before and it translates really well. Plus, Parker Posey + Lauren Ambrose = Awesome.

Also, it's got Max from Gilmore (I forget the actor and Max's last name).

It's classic Amy Sherman, fast, witty dialogue; a decent premise (so decent, in fact, there's an identical movie with Amy Poehler and Tina Fey on the way). All it really had going against it was Fox.

And they didn't disappoint.

October 15 2007 at 3:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oreo

I think the second half of the final season of Gilmore Girls is wonderful. I blame them for ditching the show and completely wrecking every bit of the show that was enjoyable. Rory sleeping with a married Dean was dumb, him leaving so fast was dumb, Rory dating Logan for as long as she did was bad, the Lor and Rory fighting was terrible, Luke having a 12 year old?!?! Dear lord the shark jumped so high I couldn't see it! After they left the new guy tried to fix the mess and i think after about halfway through the final season he did well.

I will NEVER watch another show by the Gilmore Girl people again.

October 14 2007 at 11:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joshua Jabin

Pretty soon, no one is going to start watching new shows on Fox. When is Fox going to learn that they actually need to give shows a chance before they decide whether or not to cut them.

October 14 2007 at 10:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Fred

I think you can hardly blame Amy Sherman-Palladino and Daniel Palladino for what happened to "Gilmore Girls" after they left. (I still haven't seen the final season, but I understand it was, at best, very different and, at worst, awful.) That said, I less than optimistic about this new show.

October 14 2007 at 9:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply