December 18, 2014

Saturday Night Live: Jon Bon Jovi/Foo Fighters - VIDEOS

by Annie Wu, posted Oct 14th 2007 3:02PM
Jon Bon Jovi/Foo Fighters(S33E03) "Amy Poehler: 1986": I thought that this was a great choice for a cold open! A young, big-haired Amy Poehler being visited by a magical poster version of Jon Bon Jovi? Fantastic. In general, it was really cute and made me feel a little better about Bon Jovi's hosting abilities. I mean, not that it really mattered because he barely appeared in this episode, not counting the musical performances. Hey, whatever it takes to promote an album, right?

"Monologue": Mr. Jon Bon Jovi, what the hell were you wearing? Was that a sportscoat with leather sleeves over another leather top? For shame, Jon Bon Jovi, for shame. Poor Richie Sambora stumbled on his guest appearance, but Bon Jovi saved him, dragged his band on the stage and played music. Surprise, surprise.

"Ohhhh!": SNL used to have some pretty funny fake game shows but I feel like the latest ones have all been fairly lackluster. This one was no exception. Although I'm sure some of Jon Bon Jovi's lady fans were pretty satisfied with what he was wearing. The man doesn't age, apparently.

"A Visit with Former Vice President Al Gore": Sometimes I wish that Darrell Hammond would just leave the show once and for all. I like the guy, but he's been on for too long. But then there are moments like this where they can't help but use Hammond because he's the only one who can do these impressions. Donald Trump, Dick Cheney, Chris Matthews, another older white guy who has been in the news recently... It's all Hammond! He's probably not going away until this decade passes.

"SNL Digital Short: People Get Punched Just Before Eating": I. Loved. This. I didn't get it, but I loved it. The music was spectacular, Andy's facial expressions and victory dances were spectacular, the Foo Fighters getting punched was spectacular. Yeah, it was great. I'm pretty sure the decision to finish with a Zombie Dance went something like this...

Jorma and/or Akiva: So, Andy, we've got you punching people and... how do we want to end this?
Andy: [shrug] Zombie dance.
Jorma and/or Akiva: Sure.
Andy, Jorma, and Akiva: [smooooke]

I'm just sayin'.

"Dane Cook for ALCS": Jason Sudeikis' Dane Cook impression is pretty much spot-on when it comes to the voice. If only he could get that posture down. He's got the puffed-out chest going on, but he needs to pace around a bit more and pump up the ego. You can do it, Sudeikis!

"La Rivista Della Televisione con Vinny Vedeci": After all the times I've seen this sketch and character, I'm still not super jazzed about it. The only thing I consistently enjoy is the fact that Will Forte is always on the side, silently eating spaghetti.

"Weekend Update": Fairly weak this week. I did like Fred Armisen's political comedian, though. I felt like I was listening to the self-proclaimed "politically-aware" college students I deal with all the time. Generally, that just means complaining about the mass media, bitching about Bush, and wearing ironic t-shirts.

"Dane Cook for NLCS": See comments for "Dane Cook for ALCS". It was the same thing, don't lie to yourself.

"NBC: Football Afternoon": Filler. Oh, that was such filler.

"Bon Jovi": I think this sketch addressed an issue that most Bon Jovi listeners have pondered. It was a fun take on the question, but I feel like they could have pushed it so much further.

"Iconoclasts": Now, I enjoyed this immensely. Maybe it's the sleep deprivation talking, but a recurring sketch with Kenan Thompson's Charles Barkley and Kristen Wiig's Bjork in an Odd Couple living situation would be hilarious. It's the sleep deprivation, isn't it? Oh well. I laughed. It was one of the better sketches of the night.

"Foo Fighters": As much as I love these guys, I felt like we didn't need to see them. Bon Jovi performed twice, so why didn't they just be the musical guest? J.Lo's done double duty before, why not Bon Jovi?

Next time (well, next new episode): Brian Williams and Feist! BRIAN WILLIAMS! My heart swells with glee! Judging from his appearances on The Daily Show and cameos on SNL, Williams is going to make a great host. He has a lovely deadpan delivery that I think will translate well to the show. I even dare to say it's a little Kevin Spacey-like.

How would you rate this episode?
1 - Horrible31 (5.5%)
256 (10.0%)
381 (14.5%)
466 (11.8%)
5 - Amazing! Bon Jovi forevah!326 (58.2%)

Maria Baricevic

I really like Kenan. I think he ad-libbed a bit as the Nanny this past SNL on Nov. 3rd. He thought Seth off when he got him by the collar. That didn't seem planned, but Seth played it off very well and quite hilariously. Also, I didn't notice poor writing or delivery. Also, most of the comedians on SNL are talented, intelligent and experienced, so they can probably use their natural humor to harken back to the days of Eddie Murphy, Jane Curtin, Dan Akroyd, Gilda Radner, Chevy Chase (I love it when he's on "Weekend Edition"), Adam Sandler, Mike Meyers and others of the classics who don't need writing to be witty. I say, let them have their hand at writing their own material. Although, I am for the Screenwriters Guild because they stand for intellect against greedy business powers that be, I think that SNL has the talent to temporarily replace or even surpass the writing of their Writers.

November 04 2007 at 8:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
superrrguy

Why did Bon Jovi play the same song twice? Actually, why did they even play anything. The Foo Fighters were there!!! Totally messed up.

I still want to know how Jon Bon Jovi convinced the rest of the band to go with the Bon Jovi name.

October 15 2007 at 4:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Annie W.

I'm sure I had just looked away to finish typing as Bon Jovi did their final performance. I remember being pretty annoyed that they got to play a second time.

October 15 2007 at 11:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

Karen: Annie is probably too young to know who Jack Nicholson is!

As for the Foos, I am a big fan, but I thought Dave was off on "The Pretender." Maybe he hurt his voice and they scrapped the second song?

October 15 2007 at 11:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

Robin Diane Goldstein--that most certainly WAS Jack Nicholson who introduced Bon Jovi at the end, and I'm staggered that Annie didn't mention it in her review. He was just there--with the Foo Fighters--on stage as if it was the end of a show he had hosted, with no explanation for his presence. SO weird!

I, too, thought the Foo Fighters got gypped. Musical guests ALWAYS get two songs. Inviting them on, giving them a single slot, but letting the host (who claimed he was there to act) do two numbers? Why didn't SNL just spit in their faces?

October 15 2007 at 10:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David D

Even though the premise of the "political comedian who doesn't say anything" got real lame, real quick, as it went on it became all about Armisen's performance, which I thought was absolutely brilliant. It must have looked like nothing on the page (and I can't wait to read the transcript), but he sold it, big time.

As for the "I lost my purse in space" sketch, I kept waiting for there to be some twist of some kind. The stereotypes could have been written in 1957, and I kept thinking that this was the point -- that it would have been revealed that the script was produced by, say, an anti-Hillary Clinton group who was trying to demonstrate that A Woman Cannot Have Power Because Well, She's A Woman. But no, it was just a sketch about a stupid woman who lost her purse in space. Ha ha.

October 15 2007 at 10:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ken

I have been looking all over for the Fred Armisen Weekend Update sketch (the political blogger or comedian) and you mention it, but could you post it? I watched it and it was my favorite and I want to see it again and share it with someone. That was my favorite of the night.

October 15 2007 at 1:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Re-becca

I really wanted to watch it. But I fell asleep, and when I woke up Access Hollywood was on. Doesn't seem like I missed much. But Brian Williams next week? Awesomeness.

October 14 2007 at 9:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paul

Can't wait for Brian Williams. I saw him at the end of August do the monologues for an ASSSCAT show at the Upright Citizens Brigade Theatre in NYC, and he was HILARIOUS. His timing is great. It seems he's friends with several of the SNLers, too, so it should be fun for that reason alone.

They really need to bring Colbert in, though. That would up the ante, for sure.

October 14 2007 at 9:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris

You people were not watching the same episode I was.

Cold Open - was a bit dull, cute concept but not very funny.
Monologue - Funny to see Richie Sambora stumble on his lines but not funny otherwise
Ohhh! - Funny. Period. Kristen Wiig was amusing too
Visit with Al Gore - Another amusing concept sketch stretched too thin, though the AVN award perked it right up
SNL Digital Short - I hated the first 75% of this sketch, but they stretched it out long enough to where I was amused by the end...the music helped make it funny. Reminded me of the Digital Short from last season where they kept shooting people who came in the room. While they're not always homeruns like "Iran So Far Away" they are usually funny and almost guaranteed to be offbeat.
La Rivista Della Televisione con Vinny Vedeci - I hated this sketch every other time I saw it. But this kept cracking me up, from the robot horse, to the kids and nuns smoking, to the smoking producer to the silent consumer of spaghetti, I definitely liked this one.
Lost Purse on Spaceship sketch - This leads me to my Kristen Wiig theory, which is that she's awful when carrying a sketch / concept by herself. Like the Lebron James sketch where she kept repeating accomplishments last week, it was just painful to watch.
Weekend Update - This was a bit weak. It's the same thing over and over again, setup - punchline.
Iconoclasts - Funny, in part because the Barkley impression did sound a little like Barkley, and it was just a wacky, offbeat concept. Bjork is instant comedy, and when Barkley called her "Bork" I had a good laugh. Another Exhibit for consideration re: the Kristen Wiig theory, as she helped support the sketch, and was quite amusing.

October 14 2007 at 8:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply