Desperate Housewives: The Game
by Isabelle Carreau, posted Oct 15th 2007 12:41AM
(S04E03) "Uncomfortable people don't ask questions." - Katherine
Last week introduced "Kree" or "Bretherine" (two suggestions made by TV Squad reader D) to us. Most of the TV Squad readers who took part in our poll seemed to like the nemesis and their respectful yet devilish fights. After last week's great episode, I had high expectations for this week's Desperate Housewives: I wanted more Bree and Katherine face offs, I wanted to get a few clues to the Mayfairs' secret, and I wanted the hit man hired by Carlos to take care of Edie.
Over the summer, spoilers revealed that Carlos would meet with an accountant to discuss his offshore account and him not wanting a woman to learn about it. Days after this information was leaked, it was announced that he was not meeting with an accountant anymore but that it would be a sort of hit man. Who knew that it was in fact both? Well, sort of. Al will still "take care" of Edie but not in the "bang bang, you're dead" sort of way. I can't wait to see what he found about Edie.
No matter how the Edie/Carlos situation is dealt with, it needs to end asap. Ever since Edie became a regular, the writers have been feeding us so-so storylines featuring her. It almost feels like they don't know what to do with her. Edie and Carlos were fun at first, but since Edie decided last year that he would end up with her no matter, that storyline turned from mildly amusing to boring.
There was nothing original or even surprising for Edie and Carlos tonight. It was pretty much a given that Edie would try to get the word out that she was engaged, that Carlos would be angry, that Gaby would be furious, etc. Boring, boring, boring.
Even if "The Game" was not as delightful as last week's episode, we still got a few nice tidbits and scenes. The housewives wanted to know more about Katherine and so did we. Luckily, we know more than they do because, let's face it, Katherine didn't offer much to her "friends" (they are not really friends yet but they are the closest thing to friends Katherine has right now). Let's review what we know:
- Katherine's ex-husband is supposed to be the worst man ever.
- Dylan lost her memory of when she first lived on Wisteria Lane. Her mother is willing to do anything to have her stay lost... even tell Dylan to not see Julie anymore.
- Katherine's aunt used to live with them and is now being released from the hospital. She will stay in Dylan's old room (aka the locked room).
- Adam did something in Chicago that seemed to be why the Mayfairs moved. Could it be that one of his patients filed a lawsuit claiming that Adam touched her in ways he shouldn't have? For sure, something happened between Adam and a woman (or more) since Katherine is highly protective and doesn't want him to flirt with/be near/look women.
- Something terrible happened in Dylan's old room (see the dent on the floor). It is so terrible that Katherine is genuinely crying about it (those tears at the end didn't look like crocodile ones).
The charades party was not the best part of this episode but, at least, it brought everyone together. It also allowed everyone to gossip! Those women (and even the men, in a lesser capacity) sure like to dish about everyone and anyone. We didn't learn anything earth shattering since we, the viewers, pretty much knew everything that was revealed (Gaby having an affair with John, for example). However, the party set stage for upcoming events:
- Carlos and Gaby will continue their affair. You can bet that Victor will learn about it and will try to get rid of Carlos. If word got out that Gaby was cheating on Victor, that would be really bad for the polls, no? Although, I'm pretty sure that Victor and his father (remember him from last season?) would find a way to make this work in their favor.
- Carlos, now that Edie spilled the beans, wants his accountant to make things work faster. I'm pretty sure things won't be that easy (even though I want them to be).
- The ladies know they shouldn't lay a hand on Adam unless they are ready to face Katherine. I can already hear the writers discuss the introduction of a guest star who will try to lure Adam in bed.