September 23, 2014

The Price is Right: Drew Carey's First Episode (season premiere)

by Richard Keller, posted Oct 15th 2007 12:31PM

The new logo of The Price is Right(S36E01)*

*It's not like we're going to review every episode this season. Do you think we're insane?

Drew Carey's new career should be hosting the premiere of any new network game show that comes down the pike. That's because he has the Luck of the Irish on these shows. On the premiere of his primetime game show Power of 10 the first contestant on the first show won one million dollars. On the 36th season premiere of The Price is Right, which Drew Carey is now hosting after the retirement of legendary host Bob Barker, everyone won.

I mean perfect show here. Six games, six winners. Two $1000 dollar winners at the Showcase Showdown (one each segment). I was actually shocked there weren't double winners at the Showcase. If this is the way TPIR is going to be under Drew's reign audience lines for the show will swing around the block several times and Fermantle Media will probably go broke.

Then again, while perfect games will draw in the audience members, the host of TPIR will be the one who draws in the viewers and the advertisers. Will Drew be that host? Will he be able to fill the shoes of Mr. Barker. Well, no. As I've mentioned before no one is going to be able to do that. However, given some time, I think he will the person that keeps TPIR running for many years to come.

There was no doubt that Drew was nervous during this premiere episode. He was very fidgety even from the introduction of the first game. He was also all business, getting right to the point when introducing the games and getting the contestants to do their thing. This is quite unlike the Drew we've scene on Power of 10 or even Whose Line is it Anyway?

On Power Drew is much more relaxed with himself and the contestants, bantering back-and-forth with them as the game progresses. However, Power is Drew's game show and he has been able to mold it towards his personality. TPIR has a huge history and I think that Drew just didn't want to tread too heavily on what Bob Barker created over 35 seasons. Doing so may have jarred both contestants and viewers to the point of second-guessing the choice of Drew as host. So, he played it safe this time around.

That doesn't mean he was acting like an unfeeling robot. You could definitely see hints of Drew's personality come out with the contestants. And, when they won their games he was genuinely happy that they did win. I think that we'll see more of that from Drew as he begins to get comfortable with his new hosting gig.

Other than Drew, nothing much has changed on The Price is Right. The set is pretty much the same, except there's a new paint and design scheme everywhere that gives the studio a bit of a retro feel (just like the revised logo does). And the contestants . . . well, they're still as hyper-emotional as ever. That wouldn't change even if the host of TPIR was a two-headed, human-eating monster from Ceti Alpha Five (or is it Ceti Alpha Six? I always get them confused).

So, in conclusion, don't take Drew's initial premiere as host of The Price is Right as what you will see in future weeks. Once he gets used to the gig you'll probably see a more relaxed host who really seems to enjoy what he is doing.

What was your opinion of Drew's first day as host on The Price is Right?
Even though he seemed nervous I though that Drew did a very good job510 (36.6%)
I thought Drew did okay, but I'll wait a few more weeks to see if he warms up to the hosting gig386 (27.7%)
Drew is not a good fit for The Price is Right and should be replaced as soon as possible354 (25.4%)
Hey, when are Ryan and Colin going to do a ho down?143 (10.3%)

Mike

I think there is another element that has changed since Drew took over, the quality of the audience contestants has slipped way down. It used to be you could watch and see a bunch of college aged people contesting. Occasionally you'd see the nice older lady or funny middle aged guy. But the majority of the contestants were beautiful young college girls, and college guys (sorry I just can't find guys beautiful.) Now? the majority of the contestants are middle age-older, heavyset, some are definatley "white trash". I am really surprised at the amount of heavyset contestants I do see. Is this a ploy by the show's producers to attract an older, heavier audience? It's just not working for me!

As far as Drew is concerned, he's not fit for the job. He seems very nervous, and the biggest thing you can tell about that is the way he talks faster than he can think.
So he is always stumbling. The fact is Bob Barker can't be replaced, but CBS should have opted for better talent than "more famous" talent... IMHO...

January 09 2008 at 11:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lilo

I do NOT like the Price is right anymore!!!!!! He always picking on his pocket, he talks to fast! He will never be a Bob Barker! We watch it at dialysis and I am not the only one that feel that way!!! We have turne to differend channnels lately!

November 20 2007 at 6:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris Poole

Well everyone this is the last you`ll hear from me. Drew is very slowly starting to improve as I watched again today. Mrs
Hubby D thanks for understanding, and still I feel so sorry
for you and I still will agree with you that`s it`s not the same
without Bob! But yet will I still watch and enjoy! Drew is actually kind of funny now as he`s improving! Thanks for all
the positive comments that at least it`s Drew and not Rosie!
Well take care everyone, and let`s hope for the best in Drew
as he improves! I now am signing off.

October 31 2007 at 1:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MrsHubbyD

No offense taken Chris. I completely understand and respect your opinion. If you are willing to give Drew a chance, that's great! I personally think he is a nice guy, but just not right for this gig. I just don't think he has the polish that it takes for this particular job. It's not a that "Bob is not there, so no one can do it" kind of thing, I just think he is a boring host. His delivery is not good, and when he says things like "What do you bid on all that stuff over there, I think it's kind of tacky, but that's just me.

I just hope he doesn't ruin the show, or take it down, (like I fear he will). It's just not fun for me to watch like it used to be. I also can't get into the fake "audience" that they are using since they can't fill the studio. So, for those of you who like Mr. Carey as host, enjoy TPIR. It's just not for me anymore, so I will continue to watch something else from now on. Take care everyone! MrsHubbyD signing off!

October 30 2007 at 5:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris Poole

I watched today, and I think he is trying, and by his trying he
is making tpir a comedy to watch. He actually is getting very
excited when the contestants win, so on a scale of 1 to 10
I`ll give him a 5, which means I think he is trying so I will
continue watching. The big wheel was actually exciting for
Drew today!

October 30 2007 at 12:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris Poole

I know some things I have said about Drew, and not to let you down mrs hubby d or anything, but I`ve thought about it a little bit, and I`ve come to realize, a game show is a just a fun game show no matter really who is the host of the show! You know I remember when I didn`t like Louie Anderson on Family Feud, but I still watched it anyway. Well, it`s still tpir even though it`s so sad Bob retired, and I`d so give anything for him to come back, but nobody`s perfect! Bob was just a normal person, but yet he made mistakes. Thankfully rare
ones, but Bob is only human. To those of you that thank goodness it`s Drew and not Rosie, well you`re absolutely right! After all just like I said about Bob, Drew`s only human as well, but he really doesn`t do anything ugly on tpir. He`s just a little different than we`re used to. Mrs Hubby D even though I said I wasn`t going to watch anymore, I really
have thought about Drew, and to me he`s not really ruining the show, I just misunderstood something he said to one of the contestants, and I don`t really think he was being inappropriate. He can be weird sometimes, but I really think
he is trying just a little to not ruin the show, so tomorrow I`m going to pick back up on watching. Now if you still don`t
watch anymore, I don`t hold that against you one bit because I know how bad you miss Bob, and I appreciate so much the precious comments you`ve made on Bob, and I just totally mourn your loss with you, and I`m so sorry! But
I`m still going to carry on with the show unless Drew just starts doing something that`s against my religion such as:
cussing, or encouraging the contestants to do anything
inappropriate! So please for all of you that do like Drew please forgive all the negative things I said that I shouldn`t have and it`s just like some of you said, at least Drew and not Rosie! So let`s pick back up tomorrow and enjoy the fun!
Mrs Hubby D I do very much hope you understand.

October 29 2007 at 1:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
EGGENSCHWILLER

I can not figure why Drew got the Job!! O'hurley should have gotten the job!!

I think that Drew is good but not for Price is Right!

October 26 2007 at 11:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
EGGENSCHWILLER

why did O'hurly get the job, Drew Curry is just too much!

October 26 2007 at 11:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
EGGENSCHWILLER

give me a break! Bob Barker he is NOT!!!!!!!!!

October 26 2007 at 11:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MrsHubbyD

P.S. Did you also notice that on one of the days, he forgot to tell the guy who tied spinning the wheel, that he could have a spin off? He said something like "You can spin again if you want" but never mentioned that he could wait for a "spin-off". I think the guy ended up spinning again and winning anyway, but what if he hadn't? I would think that Standards & Practices would have had a field day! Poor PIR!

October 24 2007 at 11:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply