October 2, 2014

AMC's Monsterfest starts next week

by Bob Sassone, posted Oct 16th 2007 12:01PM

Janet Leigh

Notice I didn't put an exact date for when Monsterfest starts in the title. I'm not quite sure when it starts. The American Movie Classics site doesn't have an exact start date. If you click on Monsterfest Schedule it goes to October 21, and the first couple of movies are The Birds and Psycho, but then there are a few war movies and dramas, so I'm not sure if this is the "official" start of the Monsterfest but I'll take their own link as gospel.

Anyway, the lineup looks great this year. Recent Fests have been pretty much been 300 showings of Friday The 13th, Part IV, but they're really mixing things up this year (while still including the Jason flicks for good measure). We have classic horror films like The Exorcist, Psycho, and The Howling, as well as two of my favorites, The Frighteners and the creepy 50s sci-fi flick The Brain Eaters. They're also showing some rather quirky horror films, like 1964's The Flesh Eaters and 1974's The Beast Must Die. Oh, and 1958's Earth vs. The Spider!

Wow, with these choices and the renewal of Mad Men, maybe AMC is becoming a cable destination again.

Gowan

Someone at TV Squad should mention that TCM is playing the long-lost London After Midnight this Friday.

October 18 2007 at 2:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Doug Nelson

Edited/censored horror movies with commercial interruptions...that's just wrong.

October 17 2007 at 5:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lucyfan62

If AMC was commercial-free like they used to be, it might be worth it, but who wants to watch classic movies that have been edited, time-compressed and interrupted with commercials? I'll stick with TCM for my classic horror on TV.

October 16 2007 at 1:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jack

Since AMC went to commercials and editing movies for content, it's just annoying.

October 16 2007 at 12:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chief

Meh. Monsterfest was way better before the format change at AMC. They used to have someone host it (I remember Roger Corman did one year) and they showed older/ campier films. Now they just repeat the same 5-10 films that they show throughout the year anyhow.

Turner Classics seeems to have a better lineup with some Boris Karloff classics.

October 16 2007 at 12:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
orimental

I was actually reminded of it when I was checking out FreeZone onDemand (I've got Cox Cable in SD) and I saw AMC Monsterfest as a new option. Right now it's only a few movies, but I'm sure more will trickle in throughout the week.

October 16 2007 at 12:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply