April 16, 2014

Jimmy Kimmel banned from Monday Night Football - VIDEO

by Bob Sassone, posted Oct 17th 2007 3:29PM

KimmelAfter what he did the other night, don't espect Jimmy Kimmel to pop up on ESPN's Monday Night Football again.

The show has banned the late night talk show host after his appearance two nights ago. During the Giants/Falcons game, Kimmel suddenly said "I'd also like to welcome Joe Theismann, watching from his living room at home with steam coming out of his ears." Theissman was let go from the show before this season started. MNF producer Jay Rothman called what Kimmel said "classless and disappointing."

The video after the jump has the joke about Theismann, but Kimmel also asked if it was Tony Kornheiser who got Theismann fired and joked about Kornheiser and Ron Jaworski betting on games.

John

I thought the reason he was banned was because the producers found out he was dating that ugly chick with the awful show on Comedy Central....

October 25 2007 at 3:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
russ

No doubt MNF announcers are the worst the world has ever seen. When I must watch MNF when nothing else is on, I watch with the mute button engaged and change channels whenever one of their bimbos on the sidelines comes on. They and their prattling add absolutely nothing to the football game. Sex sells but not on a football field.

October 23 2007 at 5:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Aaron

Lets be honest, every TV analyst for every network for every NFL game is worthless with the exception of a small few. Aikman is probably the best at what he does and I would love to see more Steve Young. Other than that, I would rather listen to finger nails on a chalkboard than listen to any of these idiots call a game. Half the time I question if they are even watching what's on the screen in front of them.

On top of that, the networks continue to hire people that failed at getting a passing grade on the remedial Wonderlic exam. Why is Shannon Sharpe on television?

As far as MNF, Madden is old, but at least entertaining and Al Michaels is too worried about the over/under to actually concentrate on the play at hand.

Oh and Kimmel rips on people, that's what he did with Fox, that's what he does on his show. Its like asking Rush Limbaugh to come in and be controversial and then fire him for doing so. Oh yeah, ESPN already did that.... SURPRISING!!!

October 22 2007 at 5:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Justin

Theisman was a horrible commentator. The joke sells itself.

October 18 2007 at 9:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JustMe

That joke was actually kinda funny.

Humor is one of those things, that not everyone gets or some may find offensive.

I can't imagine being banned over something so trivial.

October 18 2007 at 6:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kevjohn

I repeat: Jimmy Kimmel is a very unfunny individual.
He gets paid for making jokes like that? That's middle school-level crap, if that.

October 18 2007 at 3:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BobbyBuz

The "guest in the booth" during a football game is ludicrous. They allow a loose cannon like Jimmy Kimmel into the booth and then complain about the manner in which he acts and what he says.

Its ESPN's own fault. Cut out the crap and just broadcast the game. There are too many distractions. To me it should be about the game, nothing more. ESPN needs to stop the self serving BS!

October 18 2007 at 10:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mjh

geez man..these people take things way too seriously. it was a joke. its fine for these same announcers to mock players who don't get it done (theisman mocked jets qb chad pennington all game last year), but they just can't take it.

October 18 2007 at 9:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

Good for Jimmy. I've stopped watching MNF entirely because I can't stand the guys in the booth. I never watched the old Sunday night games before they moved to Monday for the same reasons. Can't stand ANY of them...

I met Joe Theismann once not that long after he retired and he was the biggest dick I've ever met. I've met and had long conversations with a number of former NFL players and nearly all of them have been extremely cordial and fun to talk to but not Joe. He is just a self absorbed, arrogant prick and I'm glad he's gone - even if I don't watch MNF. Kornheiser is another guy I've never understood even having a sports related job. He isn't funny, he's boring and now that he's on TV he's even worse.

There was a time when my Monday night programming revolved around watching MNF and everything else got taped to watch later. Networks were terrified to put anything strong on Mondays because their shows would get trounced in the ratings. How times have changed... I watch or DVR a grand total of nine shows on Monday during prime time and NONE of them include football.

Give it up guys. You SUCK even worse than the Raiders!

October 18 2007 at 7:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
saint libido

i love jimmy kimmel and this was hilarious.

good on u jimmy.