July 22, 2014

Pushing Daisies: The Fun in Funeral

by Isabelle Carreau, posted Oct 17th 2007 9:19PM
Pushing Daisies
(S01E03) "You killed someone for me?" - Chuck

After watching last week's episode, I was as worried as Joel was/is about Pushing Daisies's future. With such a stellar pilot, it was a given that the subsequent episodes wouldn't be as great but that second episode was a letdown. Narration aside (I'll get to this later on), this week's episode reassured me that PD can survive in its current format.

Let's deal with the narration problem first. Being a fan of the movie Amélie, I enjoyed the narration when watching the Daisies' pilot. I thought it was charming and added a nice touch to an already colorful setting. However, while watching "The Fun in Funeral," all I wanted to do was jump in the TV and put tape over the narrator's mouth so he would stop talking! This is the third episode, can we please not be reminded of how Ned's powers work, why/how he revived Chuck, the fact that he brought his mother back to life, thus killing Chuck's father, and how Emerson found out about Ned's gift and teamed up with him? It's not rocket science, we understood how things worked two weeks ago!

I get that the writers probably wrote that in so that new viewers would not be lost but couldn't they have used a "previously on Pushing Daisies" clip instead of inserting that recap within the episode? And if viewers start watching the show after the second episode, wouldn't have said viewers read about the show online or heard about it from their friends and co-workers around the water cooler? I still love the narration part of the show, but the writers need to stop bringing people up to speed every episode and need to find enough to write about to fill an entire episode (see last week's "Hopelessly Devoted" scene for another example of writers not having enough to write about).

Now that my narration rant is over (at least for this week), let's focus on the rest of the episode. I was delighted to see Ned face the consequences of his actions when reviving Chuck. Not that I want bad things to happen to Ned but, no matter how you look at it, the guy did kill at least two people (Larry and Chuck's father) and tons of flies and birds! I wasn't expecting it to happen so soon in the season, though.

At first, I really thought that Emerson didn't want Chuck on the case because he doesn't like her much and didn't want to split the reward in three anymore. Emerson wanted to protect Ned from the shockwave that would be caused when Chuck would discover that someone died in order for her to survive. Ned, being too in love, let Chuck tag along. Of course, it turned out to be a bad decision since Chuck wasn't happy to hear how she was revived. If I had been in Chuck's shoes, I think my reaction to this news would have been the same. Yes, I would be happy to be alive but also sad that someone else had to die. Chuck, being the lovely woman she is, wanted Ned to say he was sorry to Larry and she wanted to thank him. As we all saw, things didn't go exactly as planned, which led to a funny scene where Emerson runs for his life and Chuck and Ned try to open the casket. I wonder if Ned ran tests (like those to find out how long he had before he had to touch the "live again" a second time) to find out how far you need to be to not be victim of the random death.

The case of the week was fun because it brought Ned's powers in a whole new light, at least in Chuck's eyes. I'm pretty sure that Ned will not come forward about the death of Chuck's father but that, instead, Chuck will start asking questions. She is a bright woman and, as she gathers more information about Ned's gift (such as when he first discovered it, etc.), she'll surely suspect that he may have caused her father's death. What I also liked about this week's episode was that not only did we get a case of the week that involved someone we met in the past, but it also featured a bigger mystery (who killed Lewis and why is he trying to frame Ned). The Prince Charming setting was cute but a tad over done (especially when Ned was wrapped in the red drape).

Ned and Chuck are finding new and inventive ways to touch. We could classify them as brave since, every time they try a new trick, they are not sure what they try will work or kill Chuck. Last week, we saw the plastic window with the glove in the car and the use of "going through" or "incoming" so they don't bump into one another. This week, they used plastic wrap to kiss. So we know the power doesn't go through plastic. How about fabric? Probably not because it has tiny holes... What else could they use to touch? Post your ideas below, if you have any!

Olive got a better storyline this week. You can bet that she won't make things easy for Chuck now that Olive thinks she (Chuck) faked her death! Will she be the one revealing to the aunts that Chuck is alive? In any case, the aunts must learn that their niece is not dead because, otherwise, they are of no use to the series in the long run. Chuck can't send them pies until the end of time! Fun fact, Pee Wee Herman's Paul Reubens was set to play the pharmaceutical salesman but ended up getting a different role (we will see him in later episodes).

Overall, the episode was not as good as the pilot. However, this is the type of episode that will have me coming back week to week.

Should Ned admit to Chuck that he killed her father?
Yes, it should come from him.286 (54.8%)
No, she should discover it.161 (30.8%)
I don't care.75 (14.4%)

La-Di-Dah

I am in love with this show. One of the best quips: "I wanted to be a Jedi." Cue Jedi music and moves. Ha.

This show brings a smile on my face every time.

October 19 2007 at 8:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
driftwood

I was thinking how the beginning sequence was the best part.

Instead of having repeated recaps shown over and over...we're actually getting new content of Joel's childhood, giving us a better insight of the character while also explaining the show to new people.

October 19 2007 at 11:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Courtney

I know I so agree with you clgbutterfly! I just saw the guy who plays Ned on the View, and he thinks it's really romantic how he just loves Chuck but can't touch her, it makes it more loveable....and besides usually when characters that can't be together do end having sex, the show usually pulls them apart (see season 2 and 3 of Alias, Vaughn and Sydney)

October 19 2007 at 3:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
clgbutterfly

This is only the third episode and most TV execs know that most people who didn't watch the pilot typically catch episode 3, hence our rehash. Even I was a little annoyed, but I knew why.
Overall I love this series and it left me with the most fabulous feeling. How often do you get that out of a TV show? BTW, why does every show have to be abot sexual tension. Grey's is seeing the error of their ways since they out sexed their plot into the ground. I waiting for the next relationship on Grey's to be Meridith and Cristina ::rolls eyes:: Anyways...
This show is fabulous. I love the color. A red and white striped morgue! I like how they constantly make Chuck look like a flower. The subtle humor is great, Olive grabbing her boobs as she ran, and the Aunt's every changing eye patch (Fur lined!). Plus they did such a good job on blurring the killers face that I never expected to see an Asian. What a twist I've never seen or expected. Beats the Asian guy in Fargo. This by far was the best episode and I concluded that even if this show only made it one season it would be well worth it. I don't think we will see a show like this again for many, many years.

Why do we always expect shows to go on forever?
Plots do have life spans.

October 18 2007 at 8:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
viewdrix

I was under the impression that Emerson said he didn't want Chuck coming along, but knowing full well she'd come/be invited by Ned anyway, it was his plan all along to get Ned into trouble. He just pretended to hate it so that Ned wouldn't suspect anything.

October 18 2007 at 5:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gt

agreed about the narration. my wife and i tried to give this episode/show a chance, but after the first five minutes with explaining the whole 1 minute thing with the bugs (again), we had enough. my wife wants to give it another try next week, but i barely liked it to begin with/ just wanted to see how good it looked in on my new hdtv

October 18 2007 at 1:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Spaz

Another good episode, most hylarious parts for me, was Emerson running for dear life and the Asian guy with the thick southern accent. I dont live under a rock but my mind was taken away every time he spoke, my ears heard the accent but my eyes seeing Asian. Thought that bit was just too funny

October 18 2007 at 1:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BlackViking

I liked this episode. Loved when Emerson basically warned Ned that his future self was going to say "I Told You So." I do wonder why Chuck is doing whatever Ned says - if I wanted to see my aunts, it would be too bad for you Ned - you have to learn to accept the consequences of your actions. Of course I wouldn't even be anywhere near Ned once I knew what his touch would mean, but that would make this a different show.

October 18 2007 at 12:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
K31

"Kick Poo! Kick!" I laughed so hard i ran it back to watch again!! I hope Chuck calls him Poo from now on! Love it!

October 18 2007 at 10:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sverre

I gave up halfway through this episode, and wiped the show off my DVR. The pilot was cute, but now it's just grating on the nerves. The narration is annoying, the constant repeating of the basic premise of the show (enough already, we get it!), the constant yapping of the characters (I wanted to yell at the TV, enough! Shut up!).

This would have worked so much better as a 2-hour movie.

October 18 2007 at 10:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply