October 24, 2014

TiVo Series3 adds support for external hard drives

by Brad Linder, posted Oct 17th 2007 12:00AM
TiVo eSATA support
TiVo is finally rolling out support for that eSATA port on your TiVo Series3 or TiVo HD box. The move isn't particularly surprising -- after all, what did you think that port was for? But the update is a both welcome and overdue.

TiVo HD/Series3 owners should notice their boxes downloading version 9.2 of the TiVo software in the next day or so.

Once you get the upgrade you should be able to expand the storage on your TiVo unit by plugging in an external hard drive. No more mucking around inside the case and voiding your warranty. TiVo 9.2 also includes an update for Amazon Unbox users. Now you'll be able to watch videos as soon as you start downloading them without waiting for the download to finish first.

MJBF

I just want to know when they are going to make it possible to get the updates without a land based phone line, for those of us who have gone entiely wireless. I get a lot of blank stares when I ask. Can't I just plug the darn thing into my cell phone somehow??

October 17 2007 at 12:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
puffin

I'm so adding a 750 Gb drive to my Tivo setup.

@Dave
If it's anything like the Series 2 transfers you're looking at about 1 hour transfer per 1 Gig of data. I believe that 1 hour of HD content will run between 5 to 7 Gb in size depending on your Cable service provider and compression used. So say 5 - 7 hours or so to transfer an episode of Lost to you're computer.... hope to be proven wrong tho.

October 17 2007 at 12:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris

I just want them to get back together with directv.

October 17 2007 at 10:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dave Zatz

Liz, TiVo has said TiVoToGo and Multi-Room Viewing will be enabled next month. Though I wonder how large my HD recordings are and how long they'll take to transfer.

October 17 2007 at 8:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Liz Renninger

For the love of everything holy, can I just get the ability to transfer things back and forth from my TiVo to my computer?

How are you going to release a new version of a product with less capability than the previous version?

October 17 2007 at 12:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply