July 29, 2014

Dirty Sexy Money: The Chiavennasca

by Erin Martell, posted Oct 18th 2007 11:30AM

Will Shadley

(S01E04) At last, a Blair Underwood sighting! That mysterious "techno-philanthropist," Simon Elder, finally made a flesh and blood appearance on Dirty Sexy Money. Simon didn't do or say very much, but his limo's license plate put him right at the center of the Darling drama. This week's episode also had plenty of fun, soapy moments. I'm glad that the show hasn't shifted to either a straight-up drama or soapy comedy since the pilot--at the moment, both elements are being balanced well.

Lisa George just became relatively more interesting. Thank goodness, because I was getting pretty sick of her weekly "Are you sure this is what you want?" lectures to Nick. Lisa realized that, in order to minimize the Darlings' hold on Nick, she had to stand up to the Darlings. OK, just Karen, but it's a start. The grappa-soaked flirt battle between Lisa and Karen was another perfect Dirty Sexy Money moment. Even Freddy had a few funny remarks!

Jeremy and Juliet had better not be fighting for too long. Their scenes together are always good for a bizarre quote or two. Juliet believed that Natalie was using Jeremy to get back at her, and I can definitely see that happening. Natalie has already stolen Juliet's signature perfume and her bangs. Stealing the most important person in Juliet's life would be the cruelest way to hurt her. I'm guessing that the baby isn't Jeremy's; at least I hope it isn't his. This show has enough baby drama at the moment. The results of the DNA test that Tripp ordered are far more interesting to me right now.

Did Brian Jr.'s bully remind anyone else of Lisa's bully, Francine (voiced by Kathy Griffin), from that Simpsons episode? I could not stop thinking about it. So far, we've learned that Brian and his son are similar in several ways. Both over-pepper their food, both were beaten up by girls, and both like to get others to do their dirty work. I was proud of Brian Jr. when he acted like a true Darling and blackmailed his dad into helping him with Chora. How adorable was that scream on the playground?

I really hope that the Darling family dinners become a regular part of the show. It's probably easier to break all of the Darlings up and have separate storylines, but watching them all interact together is amazing. Tripp's offhand comment about not knowing where the children came from was a brutal way to punish Letitia. Brian earned some sympathy from me with his speech about why he joined the church. I still want to hear the story behind his marriage to Mei Ling Hwa. If Brian never felt like a part of the human family, how did he manage to fall in love?

Nick uncovered another layer from the mystery surrounding Dutch's death. I still don't entirely trust the leads that Tripp is giving Nick. He could have used Templeton to make Nick doubt Dutch's loyalty to the Darlings. We saw more evidence of Tripp's skills at manipulation in his scene with Letitia's doctor. He claims to despise anything sordid, but he is awfully at ease when going behind others' backs. Donald Sutherland is incredibly hard to read, but so much fun to watch.

I am full of questions after this episode. What does Simon Elder want with Nick? Was Nick's father really working for Elder behind Tripp's back? Tripp mentioned to Nick that his brother, Kenneth (last mentioned in "The Lions"), was assassinated. Was Kenneth a political figure like Patrick? Is that why Tripp put so much pressure on Patrick to get into politics? Finally, which of the Darlings is related to Nick? Those heartless writers teased us with the DNA test results, and I'm going crazy with theories.

Jill Clayburgh and Donald Sutherland took this drama to another level again this week. Those two had better get some recognition come awards season. Also, how awesome is Clark the Driver/Pilot? If anyone on this show deserves an Addison-type spinoff, it's Clark. Can you imagine what an episode shot from his perspective would look like?

Best lines of the episode:

• "I'm Pluto. I'm cold, distant, and alone." --Jeremy, on his single status.
  • "It's like they're made out of George Clooney." --Saleswoman, on the $1,200 shoes.
  • Brian Jr.: "Jesus says 'Don't hit back'." Brian: "Says who?"
  • "No pesky rules about cocktails before takeoff." --Clark, on the benefits of flying a private jet.
  • "Wow. You guys look freshly laid." --Karen, interrupting Nick and Lisa's afterglow.
  • "Loosen up, baby. We're in India." --Lisa (in Italy).
  • "Eighteen years of being beaten up by girls, and what's his revenge? The ministry." --Patrick, on Brian's path to God.

Next week, the twins' trust funds kick in, dueling parties are thrown, and Nick gets an intriguing job offer.

Which Darling is Nick's half-sibling?
Patrick45 (9.1%)
Karen98 (19.8%)
Brian173 (34.9%)
The twins, Juliet and Jeremy65 (13.1%)
All of them26 (5.3%)
None of them--there's more to this story.88 (17.8%)

tec2030

How NASTY would that be if it was Karen????

October 22 2007 at 6:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CeCe

full eps are available OnDemand

October 19 2007 at 10:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jazzie

It took 57 minutes to get a glimpse of Blair Underwood, but it was worth the wait. I hope he'll have a bigger part next week. I could take a lot less of those horrible twins and more, please more of "C"! How intriguing.

October 19 2007 at 5:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Toymao

Anyone noticed how hilarious the naming "policy" in this show is? I don't know if anyone noticed or found it as amusing as I did (I actually burst into a serious laughter), but when Tripp anounced the name of the spy with a straight face (or as we say in Hungary: chrsitmans-face)? Com'n Tripp saying the guys name's Templeton (which was Sutherland's chatarter's name in his las show, Commander in Chief). :)

October 18 2007 at 5:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Toby OB

I voted for "none of the above/there's more to this story", because I think there's a better alternative....

All that time while Dutch was having an affair with Letitia, Tripp was sleeping with Dutch's wife. And he's the true father of Nick!

You could probably make more of a case for Peter Krause looking like the child of Donald Sutherland than any of the other actors.

But I like the theory that it's probably Brian.

As for it being Karen, and she slept with Nick.... I don't think we've seen that type of prime-time soap plot since Ray Krebbs slept with Lucy Ewing in the barn on the pilot episode of 'Dallas' - only to find out several seasons later they were half-siblings!

October 18 2007 at 4:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oreo

Does ABC have a website to watch episodes you missed? I kind of fell asleep. :)

October 18 2007 at 3:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
spg28

I am loving the one-liners on this show. It's almost up there with HIMYM in terms of quoting potential!!!

This week's best, "You will burn in hell for eternity...and that's a really long time" followed by Brian and Brian Jr. exchanging high-fives!

October 18 2007 at 1:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
khamel

it would be fitting if it were brian - he always mentions that nick isn't one of the family and the irony would be off the charts if he weren't either. the second guess is patrick. i want it to be karen but yes, Letitia would have cut that off (one hopes).

the 3 hours on wednesday might be my favorite on tv. pushing daisies, gossip girl and dirty sexy money is a great diversion. three fun, whimsical shows in a row. none of them could be considered great shows (ala Lost, Sopranos, Wire) but its a great trio.

October 18 2007 at 1:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BC

I agree with what you wrote: " I'm glad that the show hasn't shifted to either a straight-up drama or soapy comedy since the pilot--at the moment, both elements are being balanced well. "

I really like the show and it along with Cane are my two favorities of the new fall shows. They seem to have enough of the back story mystery along with weekly drama (and comedy) to keep the show interesting to the viewers!

If Karen were not his, well that would be a wild one...but even years ago when the "affair" were secret if there was a chance then it looks like Letitia would have stopped Karen/Nick's relationship way back then. Nick seems to relate with Patrick so he is a possibility, but since Brian is different plus hates Nick he is the obvious one to be his brother.

However, what if all or more than one are Dutch's kids?

Perhaps Dutch was gathering information about Tripp to blackmail him into leaving Letitia so they could be together? I am curious to see how this Simon Elder character plays into the mix and what he has against the Darlings.

One thing I did not see you mention was Karen's seemed to "change" after the confrontation with the wife when she returned the shoes at the bedroom door. It gave me the impression there is more to Karen than meets the eye and that she isn't the air-head she comes across as to everyone.

I really like the twins especially Juliet, and their scenes together!

*** I do find hard to believe is that the "affair" went unknown by Tripp for all those years. Most of these guys with his money/power are the ones with the affairs so this is interesting that it was her not him messing around. Still hard to believe as hard and as often as Dutch was working that he had time for what had to be 25-30 year affair that remained secret for so long and that Tripp never suspected anything during that time?

On another note I am expecting to read any day now that religious groups are protesting ABC and the show for Brian's character's actions and especially some of his comments. Its a PC world, unfortunately!

October 18 2007 at 12:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eric J.

Dutch's kid has to be Brian. Patrick's over 40 years old. The twins are just too reflective of their parents for it to make sense, and Karen would just open a whole icky can of worms that I don't think the show wants to get into. That leaves Brian, the one who hates Nick the most.

Watch for Nick to over-pepper his food some time soon.

October 18 2007 at 12:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply