September 30, 2014

Why Jorja Fox is leaving CSI

by Anna Johns, posted Oct 18th 2007 3:05PM
jorja foxIt's no secret that Jorja Fox, who plays Sara Sidle on CSI, is leaving the show this season. She has a contentious history with the show and was even temporarily fired during contract negotiations in 2004. But, why is she leaving?

Fox gave a quick interview to EW.com, explaining her departure. She's leaving to broaden her horizons. The actress has been on CSI for seven years and is looking for something else to do. She says, "If I thought the show was on its last legs, I would've tried harder to stay the course. But I feel like it's going to be around for a while, so I don't want some of those dreams to pass me by."

In past posts I've written about CSI, a lot of commenters have bagged on the Sara Sidle character and wished she would go. The sexual relationship between her and Grissom makes a lot of people's skin crawl (mine included). Personally, I would've liked to have seen a more beloved character leave, but this is good too. CSI definitely needs a shake-up since it has had the same cast for all eight seasons.

Jorja Fox has five more episodes this season, with her final episode in mid-November during ratings. Producer Carol Mendelsohn says that those episodes will focus on Sara and build up to her departure. The build-up begins tonight, with a marriage proposal from Grissom.

Yocheved

I am so very sorry that Jorja is leaving. I felt a connection with her character, being in foster care. I just wish that she would not leave. She brings a certain truth and sensitivity to the CSI series. The Love Affair between Sara and Grissom was great. I was hoping they would get married, maybe Sara would have a baby etc. I do hope that her character will return somehow.

Good Luck Jorja

Yocheved

January 11 2008 at 6:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Neme

I loved Fox's character... and the whole Grissom/Sara relationship was perfect. The insinuations, her proposals, his shocks! It was great! They were the most perfect mess-up couple you have ever seen. Besides I kind of felt bad for Grissom... just when he had finally opened up to someone... (Plus he's soooo hot! The brainy kind just does it for me!) I haven't seen much of the show since she left... it's just not the same.

December 16 2007 at 9:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pat Johnston

I miss Sara and I had hoped she and Gil would continue their romance.

December 06 2007 at 4:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Miss Bliss

I think all the Jorja Fox lovers should band together and write the show incessant letters about her returning to the show. I can't bear to watch it without her, so dull.

November 23 2007 at 12:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Miss Bliss

6. I'm SHOCKED at all these people disliking--dare I say hating? --Sara Sidle. She's my most favourite (besides my beloved Grissom), I think she's so odd looking it makes her stunningly beautiful. I find her character the most complex, c'mon Warick the stereotypical and one-dimensional Aftrican-American with his word'em up 'gangsta' slang; ho's on the go, etc. His gambling addiction is boring and goes nowhere. Nick has grown on me I have to say, with his country boy naivete. But still there's nothing that is magnetic about him. I like Catherine, but it's a character that is not new. I think Sara's relationship with Grissom is HOT, maybe it's my issues with father figures, but their sexual chemistry/tension was strange and interesting. I am almost thinking of not watching the show anymore because of Sara leaving, I felt like there was a lot more they could have done with her past, and her relationship with Grissom.
Ah well, I just had to get my love of Sara on here.
PS~ Pamela...you got it right, I am SO dissapointed to see a "typically good-looking" (read: boring and superficial)" female in Sara's place. The Grissom/Sidle relationship had so much more to develop, all of a sudden they were in a relationship, then engaged, and now she's gone! I would have watched glued-to-screen numerous more seasons of them together, but I do understand her need to be challenged.

November 23 2007 at 12:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Suz

Jorja Fox is one of my favorties, I think she got pigeon holed into a story line that got lost along the line somewhere. William and Jorja are a great couple on the series and Sara should seek help and Gill should patiently support her. Face it people these two fit together! But love ain't easy especially for broken or wounded people, and they need help getting there. So write it into the show that Sara is going to get help and Gill visiits when he can. The CSI's back each other up,especially when one of their own is losing it.! Get real Write her out to getting help and Gill and the team helping with her recoverery. That way is Jorja wants to explore her options in other areas she can, without totally blowing the show for us. PLEASE! This is the show I clear the decks for! You write Jorja Fox out for good and the show will suffer..

November 19 2007 at 7:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Suz

I'm really saddened to see Jorja Fox leave. I'm hoping the William Peterson (hot, hot, hot) will look for her, and find her! They slated Joja(sara) into tight constraints in the storyline and I don't think they knew how to get her back to normal. Same with Peterson(grissom) the love story between them does NOT make my skin crawl, the thought of Sara gone and a lovelorn Gill does. Please give the writers their just dues and let them comeback with the story that will flip us on our heads about Sara (after recieving help) and Gill in love and working togethter again, maybe in Reno, or Seattle. And cross cases etc.

November 19 2007 at 7:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cecilia

Jorja's character was one of my favorites, although I enjoy them all. I watch the show for its ensemble nature, for its characters. I watch it because I enjoy how they try to honor what is right and just, even if it means smelling dead bodies and pushing their sleeves up to search through the detritis of the worst humans can do to each other.

When the main characters get grossed out, burned out, then I start to become less able to deal with the tragedies in the stories myself. I watch, because if they can handle what is ugly in life and push on, then I can too, with the admittedly milder ugliness I have to deal with at work.

So, watching Jorja implode and not be able to stand her work environment any longer made it difficult for me as well. Knowing it was going to be her last episode, I was afraid the grimness of the storyline was going to be turned up a few notches. It wasn't. I'm glad I watched it afterall. I was sure they were going to kill her off, as they didn't in that other episode when she was endangered. If they had killed her off in some gruesome way, I don't know if I could have watched the show anymore. Afterall, it is still fiction. If she had become a victim, it would have been too real for me.

I, too, will miss Jorja in this role. She had her obnoxious ways, but it was all of a piece and I found it refreshing. I, too, don't care to watch bimbos. I think Jorja is a physically beautiful woman, gap tooth and all. I am speaking as a woman who is old enough to know that beauty comes in all forms. I value such imperfections. She is as lovely as Marg, who I also enjoyed in a similar mood-type show, China Beach.

I understood her valley-styled pattern as a way to handle the rage she, Sarah, must have felt witnessing the ugly ways that humans deal with each other. It seemed to me to be a way to manage her self.

At any rate, CSI Las Vegas will still be my favorite CSI show. The Miami one is for kids, although I watch it anyway. I'm not fascinated by party scenes, which the show relies heavily on, but I do like the actress from West Wing, and the Horatio character, with his crook neck and arms perpetually akimbo. They are a guilty treat.

I don't watch the NY one. I don't like the ensemble. Can't connect with any of them.

Back to Jorja. I hope her career takes off in other directions and wish her the best.

November 17 2007 at 5:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Taylor

i presonally loved sara sidle! i think the show will be boring because she left she gave the show flair and she will be missed very muchly.and i think that grissom/sara relationship was fantastic and i think you would have to understand the character to understand the relationship

November 16 2007 at 7:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sophorn

I loved the show because of Sara. I connected w/her and her history more than any other character on the show. I am NOT happy to see her go and I won't be watching it again until she comes back. Love the GSR.

November 16 2007 at 3:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply